custom bumper reliability

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Was thinking about some other stuff that is sometimes cast. Not always, sometimes these things are drop forged.

Pintle hooks
http://uriahproducts.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=162
UT712002-500x500.jpg

These bolt-on shackle brackets
https://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=12695
large_12695_32758.JPG

Those hitch adapters for shackles
http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-receiverbracket.htm
shacklebracket-2.jpg

The body on the Dixon-Bate is cast
http://www.trailertek.com/dixon-bate-towing-jaw-3500-kg-cap
http://dixon-bate.co.uk/products/gb/jaws/16-dixon-bate-35t-universal-coup-.html
dixon-bate-35t-universal-coup-.jpg

Last edited:

maktruk

Observer
Those are cast with stamped ratings. Do any of the hooks in your pics have stamped ratings?

I'm super biased, obviously. I had a tow hook go through my rear windshield in my younger years, and snapped one on my Frontier a couple years ago (wicked pull, all we had, etc...)

Will never recover with one again.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
How about your winch housing - which could see in excess of 20k lbs of force (10k winch rigged through a snatch block stalled out) - being cast aluminum and held on by just 4 grade 5 3/8 bolts?

No one ever worries about those parts.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Those are cast with stamped ratings. Do any of the hooks in your pics have stamped ratings?
That is a fair point and I just looked at my 2008 Tacoma hook and the hook from my old 1991 and neither are stamped with a rating that I can see. So I'll admit that I do not know if they are rated or proof tested and if so what they would be. It's got my curiosity so it's something I'm going to research but that may take days or years.

My opinion is that Toyota probably has design and QC specs for them but I cannot say that with anything beyond brand fanboy and historical experience with Toyota stuff. It's /generally/ well made and they are pretty famous for their rigor to quality, inspection, supply chains and all that.

So I do concede that their true usefulness is limited without knowing this information. That is part of the reason (and the inability to use a shackle) that I plan to replace mine. We are in agreement that recovery points are not to be taken lightly. But I also wouldn't be uniquely concerned about using a quality factory cast tow/recovery point that is in good shape.
I'm super biased, obviously. I had a tow hook go through my rear windshield in my younger years, and snapped one on my Frontier a couple years ago (wicked pull, all we had, etc...)

As I say, I definitely do not question skepticism or desire to be safe. Just pointing out that it's not a process but the engineering, workmanship and testing that are critical. For example I'd trust a Toyota cast hook or a common brand cast shackle (which none are, just an example) over unknown forged ones. The rating is only as good as the reputation you can establish.

Last edited:

UHAULER

Explorer

Nearly 30 years ago I was in a 4wd club and we were playing around in the mud. One of the guys had an 84 toyota and was attempting to pull out another rig, I think it was a bronco2 or ranger. He hooked a tugger strap on the front of his Toyota on the factory tow hook and on the factory hook on the other vehicle. It ripped the factory hook off the other vehicle and went through the windshield of the toyota and broke the passenger side head rest. Lucky his daughter was not in the truck. Everybody got a good lesson on safety that day and are hopefully more careful because of that .

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
When the manufacturer uses a cast/forged/etc tow hook they get one that is usually rated for that weight of vehicle. They are designed for a steady amount of tension. When yanking a vehicle out you apply a shock load that is a much higher force, which the equipment is not rated for and the weakest part will give. Have a vehicle that you try to yank over and over again while using the stock equipment and it will break. Using a chain as a recovery strap is a well known example of this.

Wear and tear is another issue. Abuse a fabric tow strap or winch cable and the damage is visible with the tears and frayed sections. With heat treated metal you need an x-ray to find small cracks from abuse. No manufacturer will warranty something that has been abused, even if they design it to be abused. Aftermarket bumpers are built knowing that they will be abused and damaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94