How to test the solar panel output and some other questions.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
So it would seem that my batteries are nearly full because they aren't suckling up power at a high rate. Correct?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Both panels clean? No partial shading of a couple cells?

If so then yea, looks like both panels are producing, so probably a full or nearly full battery.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I clean them a few days ago so there might be some dust, but most of the day was full sunlight no shade ideal conditions for this time of year...

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Also yea, angle of incidence.

The pic from August (187w) probably had the photons striking more directly dead on than the pic from November (122w) where the photons are coming in at a steeper angle and more are bouncing off.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I understand the angle of the sun plays a huge roll in solar harvest.
That my I bought this
11rvj7m.jpg

But I took it of because I drive so much and fear it's a hazzard.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
https://youtu.be/TertQDO98Ak

After two days of rain, clouds and wind my batteries were needing a charge... Here's a short video from earlier today. Yes my fears were just that, fears. My panels and charge controller working fine. thanks for everybody helped out.

jschmidt

Adventurer
Park in the sun. Put like a 20a load on the batteries.

That will consume all that your solar can produce plus a bit more, and then you can see exactly how much the solar produces when maxxed out.

This. And this:

Engage the split-charge relay by turning on the key without starting the engine. Turn on everything in the truck - headlights on high beam, radios, heater fan, etc. That should probably be enough load to soak up all the solar can produce.

With an ACR, force it on with the engine off and do the same thing.

But you need a pretty good ammeter to measure small amps. And I don't even see amps on yours. Glad you got it sorted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior