Inferno.Overland's '04 Tundra DC Build

Go4Lo

Explorer
Rhino Rack

Made some progress on the truck last night by installing a set of Rhino Rack HD fixed mount feet mated to Rhino Vortex bars on the canopy. These should serve well as a base to mount the RTT, Awning and other accessories.

Rack.01.jpg

Rack.02.jpg

Dressed her a bit with a new set of bedside TRD stickers :elkgrin:

Rack.03.jpg

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Lookin good! Keep an eye on that topper with weight on top. Mine has pushed the besides out a bit at the back of the truck. I am building an internal cage for the bed to help brace everything, as well as have mounting points for a highlift, fire extinguisher, shovel, ax, etc.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Never a fan of those factory runner wheels but they look great on the tundra. Might be the color combo! Nice job on the fixed rails. Seen them before but haven't seen anyone use them yet. I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go4Lo

Explorer
Lookin good! Keep an eye on that topper with weight on top. Mine has pushed the besides out a bit at the back of the truck. I am building an internal cage for the bed to help brace everything, as well as have mounting points for a highlift, fire extinguisher, shovel, ax, etc.

Definitely keeping an eye on the topper. I went with the Rhino fixed mounts because they are wide which in theory should help disperse the weight. Hope to have a Autohome Columbus Variant on there this weekend. This particular tent is the small version that only weighs 115lbs and I'm a lanky lightweight build so I'm hopeful the topper can handle it.

How are you liking the suspension?

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on the 5160 rear shocks so I can't really give you a full review yet. Up front the 6112s are nicely built with high quality components but I can already tell the included coils are too light to properly handle the additional weight of the DC. I have them at highest setting (most preload) and i feel my truck could still benefit from a little more lift. Forget adding a bumper and winch.

I'm going to make some calls here soon to try and figure out the exact specs on the included coils and then try to source a heavier coil of the dimensions. Ideally I'd like a set of 700lb springs.

Never a fan of those factory runner wheels but they look great on the tundra. Might be the color combo! Nice job on the fixed rails. Seen them before but haven't seen anyone use them yet. I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!

KTempleton

Observer
to the point I need to pull the trigger on a suspension set up. Did you happen to figure anything out on the 6112 spring rating? I've looked to find info but haven't been so lucky.

Go4Lo

Explorer
to the point I need to pull the trigger on a suspension set up. Did you happen to figure anything out on the 6112 spring rating? I've looked to find info but haven't been so lucky.

Everything I've read online leads me to believe the coils included with the Tundra kit are the same 600lb Eibach coils included with all the 6112 kits across the Toyota line up. They are standard 2.5" coils used by most of the high end manufacturers like Icon, SAW and Fox. Measure 14" long with 3" inner diameter. I haven't tested it yet but in theory any coil with the same dimensions should work.

My truck has a solid 2.5" of lift with the 600lb coils at full preload (top setting) but no additional weight up front. The ride is pretty good, even with that much preload. Much better than the 5100s at the 2.5" setting. That being said I still plan to swap these coils out for a 700lb coil in the near future. I just think the additional weight of the Double Cab needs a heavier coil. If you have additional weight up front as well I'd add the 700lb springs during the initial install.

KTempleton

Observer
Did you put an AAL in the rear? Just discovered I have one already back there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Go4Lo

Explorer
Exhaust, Shakedown and a RTT

Between Christmas events, picking parts up for the truck and turning a few wrenches it was a busy weekend. I need to get back to my desk job for some rest. We did manage to find time to I nstall a new cat back MBRP exhaust, hit a few trails for a shakedown and pick up a new to us AutoHome Columbus Variat tent to mount on the canopy :wings:

The redneck in me enjoys a nice exhaust note, especially from a v8 so the OEM Camry sounding exhaust had to go in favor of a MBRP installer series exhaust. Its nothing too fancy but it really sounds great, looks sharp and gives the old girl a little growl.

IMG_6207.jpg

IMG_6253.jpg

After eating way too much at the holiday meal we opted to go play around in the woods with the Tundra instead of taking a nap. This is the first time the truck has seen any dirt since the suspension install. We did a few high speed runs, some rocky hill climbs and a few frame twisters to get a good feel for the new 6112s. Overall I'm very happy with the set up! The dampening these 60mm shocks offer is fantastic, my only complaint is the additional rebound from the preloaded coils. As I mentioned in a previous post I really want to try a set of 700lb coils vs the 600lb coils that are included with the kit. I'm sure the 600lb coils would be fine on an AC Tundra but the extra weight of the DC really needs the heavier coil. With a heavier coil I wouldn't have to run so much preload to achieve lift thus resulting in less rebound and a smoother, more balanced ride.

Full stuff on both corners. No sway bars, pinch seams trimmed, 285s on the Trail wheels which are 17x7.5 with +15 offset mounted to set of 1.25" wheel spacers. Very minimal rub on the inside lip of the flare arch at full stuff.

IMG_6252.jpg

IMG_6245.jpg

The highlight of the weekend goes to the latest Craigslist find of a well cared for AutoHome Columbus Variant small. I'm so excited about this tent. The Tacoma had a large Tepui Gran Sabana mounted to a bed rack so going to this much smaller and lighter clam shell tent is a welcome change. Don't get me wrong the Tepui was great and gave us tons of room but it was also heavy and cumbersome. The ease of set up and take down with AutoHome is nothing short of amazing. More to come on it once it's mounted to the canopy....

I'll leave you with this for now :sombrero:

IMG_6254.jpg

Last edited:

Go4Lo

Explorer
Exhaust looks awesome, any drone on the highway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it's great on the hwy. No drone. The OEM resonator stays in place so I'm sure that helps prevent the drone. My wife didn't even notice I had replaced it...LOL.

rickashay

Explorer
Great find on the tent! My dad has the same one on his Tacoma and I have been drooling over it everytime we setup/teardown camp. I too loved my ARB RTT, but the simplicity and ease of setup on the hardshell tents is next-level.

KTempleton

Observer
FYI Talked to the guys at Low Range Off Road. They could confirm Bilstein is using 3" ID Eibach coil and any can get us set up with a higher rated spring if need be. I'll be pulling the trigger on these I believe now. Any other complaints on the 6112?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
FYI Talked to the guys at Low Range Off Road. They could confirm Bilstein is using 3" ID Eibach coil and any can get us set up with a higher rated spring if need be. I'll be pulling the trigger on these I believe now. Any other complaints on the 6112?

Should see if you can get 16" 700lbs instead of 14" if they will fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94