FJ60, IMPROVE REAR SAG.

dcoy

Adventurer
These are the bags I used . http://www.slocruisers.com/product.sc?productId=87

You can add a long add a leaf and see what happens. They are not too expensive. https://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RS60612-Add-Leaf-Kit/dp/B000CPAFYO

Nice bags!

My current setup with OME heavies is working fine for my loads (drawers, fridge, water, 40 gallon tank, Kaymar) but if I wanted to go back to bags I'd consider those. The ones I previously used had a bracket that limited suspension up travel and required straps to keep from tearing it off with down travel. We need as much suspension travel as we can get in a '60 so I ripped these out and went with OME heavies. Not sure why the OP has sooo much sag. His load doesn't seem extreme. If I was him, I'd add a leaf and add bags if that isn't enough.

dcoy

Adventurer
Just realized I didn't show the reorg photo.

Yeah, that is the problem with maintaining the back seats for passengers: it prevents one from putting more weight amidships where it makes sense from a loading standpoint. Maybe we should put the passengers in the cargo compartment :)

Rexrome

Observer
Here are some of the details. So this week I as able to add three leaves to each of the rear leaf packs, in addition to the ones that the OME HD's come with. Looks like it definitely helped out it brought the rear up. With the additional leaves now the muscle leaf is not engaged, in other words there is a gap between the leaf pack and the muscle leaf before the leaves where all engaging the last spring thus causing more sag. To test the rear I added some weight about 400 lbs and maybe got a .75" drop in the rear not bad I thought. I also added the leaves back to the front leaf pack also bringing up the nose a bit. So the vehicle still looks like it is saggin, not as bad as before. The front leaf packs are also OME HD springs, since I did the LS3 conversion another thing that I am considering is that the front is not as heavy as before. With the weight of the new conversion I think that I dropped about a couple hundred pounds so I might have to go with the medium rate weighted OME leaf packs in the front.

I will take some pics of what it looks like now, then I will remove the front leaf springs to replace with the medium rated OME springs. I hope that this levels out my rig a bit. I believe that the rear springs are good to go and the front still might needs some adjusting. My goal is to get the rig dialed in and use the right balance of leaf springs to avoid air bags. Otherwise we might need to bag her up!

Rexrome

Observer
IMG_0324.jpg IMG_0423.jpg

Here are some before and after pics. As you can see it did help out a bit by adding some rear support. I added three leaf springs to each of the rear packs. It still rides nice and bit stiff in the rear. I added about 400lbs of weight to the rear cargo area and the rear dropped about an 1", just to test it. I still have gear to add and shift weight around but in the short I think that I will end up adding air bags. I will post some more pics once My FLS3J60 is completely geared up (Fully weighted). After which determine the future outcome.

This is my first post here on EXPO, as I'm usually on Mud. With that being said, my 60 is setup very similar to yours. Due to the rear swingouts and a steel 40 gallon tank I had some issues with sag.

The suspension is relatively new, so I knew the springs weren't on the way out, they just needed some help.

I ended up buying some specialty air bags from slocruisers.com. I didn't want to go the SOA Route, and the bags provide all the support necessary for the additional weight of a RTT and a fully laden cruiser. The bags come with brackets that bolt right up, and the difference is night and day.

You simply add some air to compensate for the weight (10-150PSI) the kit came with everything you'd need. I can get some pictures tomorrow if you're interested

Rexrome

Observer
This is my first post here on EXPO, as I'm usually on Mud. With that being said, my 60 is setup very similar to yours. Due to the rear swingouts and a steel 40 gallon tank I had some issues with sag.

The suspension is relatively new, so I knew the springs weren't on the way out, they just needed some help.

I ended up buying some specialty air bags from slocruisers.com. I didn't want to go the SOA Route, and the bags provide all the support necessary for the additional weight of a RTT and a fully laden cruiser. The bags come with brackets that bolt right up, and the difference is night and day.

You simply add some air to compensate for the weight (10-150PSI) the kit came with everything you'd need. I can get some pictures tomorrow if you're interested

Thanks for the feedback.. and please post some pics when you get a min. I have my 60 in the shop for some upgrades but I will be going this route as well. I didn't want to do the air bag thing because of how it might limit wheel articulation, any feedback on this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles