Using a Tarp instead of an Awning

Umnak

Adventurer
I've been using tarps for shelter for a long time. In Southeast Alaska we slept under tarps and set them near our fires for a kitchen. We always had one with us hiking for a way to stay out of the rain.
Beach Tarp.jpg

Kitchen Tarp.jpg

I set up a tarp support system on our 4Runner using an old piece of PVC pipe for a short trip up the Dempster Highway to the Tombstone Range a few years ago. The pipe held the tarp, poles and served as a mounting base. It was a simple way to keep the rain off the camp and held up to some severe thunderstorms.
Tarp Carrier.jpg

Dempster Tarp Camp .jpg

We didn't want to add an awning to our Sprinter because of the cumbersome look they add to the side of a van, and because it could only be used for one thing, and awning off the side of the van.

I thought a lot about how to mount a tarp on a van without dedicated attachment points before deciding to primarily use 65lb test rare earth magnets with eye screws. I was at first concerned how well these would work, but have found, when properly mounted, them to be more than sufficient to withstand mild winds. We also have, as back-up, small c-clamps that can be attached to the rain gutter, though they have only been used when testing the theory.

Magnet 1.jpg

The advantage of the rare earth magnets is their flexibility. We carry a 6'x8' and a 8'x10' tarp in the van. Most often the smaller and lighter tarp is used to cover the space over the sliding door and toward the stern. We've set them over the back door a couple of times as well. They can also be used to cover the picnic table at a camp site or for a sun shade away from the van; that's not possible with an awning.

Magnet 2.jpg

The magnets hold well when the force pulling against them is straight out from their base, as opposed to an angle much beyond 25 degrees. Two adjustable poles (up to 8') are most often used to hold the tarp straight out from the van. These poles are either set to the ground using tent stakes or to a tree using line. Line can sometimes be used to secure the outside corners of the tarp directly to a tree or shrub if the angle isn't too steep.

Tarp on Van.jpg

The above picture shows the tarp, magnets, poles and line being set up for a sun shade.

See this link for our ongoing trip report - http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...rs-Around-North-America?p=1959205#post1959205

I'd like to know if others are using tarps and how they are set up

Last edited:

Choff

Adventurer
Tarps

We bought this canopy this summer for our trip south, it was great to set up and worked well.
Only thing did not like was to put poles in you had to put it on ground to work with it. Did like that you can take poles out to bring it to the ground for more privacy.
has a neat window with cover when you bring it down further, and the barn doors swing open with out any trouble.
We also used a simple tarp for over back doors, like them both.
KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2774.jpg
    IMG_2774.jpg
    584.9 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
I’ve been using tarps for shelter for a long time.
<snip>
I'd like to know if others are using tarps and how they are set up

A tarp combined with some twine and a little ingenuity can be hugely versatile. As a kid I couldn't afford a tent (or even a tarp for that matter) so I made shelter with a sheet of plastic. But it didn't do squat to keep the mosquitos at bay. :mad:

You have some good ideas that I may incorporate into my next travel rig.

Cheers!

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I've always brought tarps, even having an awning now, it's still handy to have for some setups, or if the awning breaks, or makeshift shelters. I like to keep legs from old camping folding gazebos, they're good to use a legs to make shelters with.

Umnak

Adventurer
Where do you pick up your tarps and what c clamps are you happy with? Thanks!

I get my tarps from OwareUSA.com and have one left from WxTx, which is no longer in business. The tarp shown on the van is a 30d ultralight at just under 10 ounces. It's also used as my solo shelter along with a 6 ounce bivy sack also from Oware and for day hikes as a rain or wind shelter. The tarp in the beach photo is a 70d 10x12, which is a palace for kayaking trips.

The C clamps are the smallest (1.5") I could find in Juneau before we headed out on our 3 year road trip. I put felt tabs on the ends of the clamps to reduce scaring the rain gutters. I've seen better ones since then, but still feel ok with these.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Two stainless eye bolts w/ large backing plates inside to hols ip the 6x8 tarp. Works great.

4632-albums830-picture29061.jpg

kevinrx7

Observer
We bought this canopy this summer for our trip south, it was great to set up and worked well.
Only thing did not like was to put poles in you had to put it on ground to work with it. Did like that you can take poles out to bring it to the ground for more privacy.
has a neat window with cover when you bring it down further, and the barn doors swing open with out any trouble.
We also used a simple tarp for over back doors, like them both.
KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!
I was looking at this same canopy on Amazon, how bad is the set up time. The wife always wants to put up the ez up shelter, just in case it rains. I hate that thing, it's anything but easy. Would really like a better alternative.

Sent from my USCC-E6762 using Tapatalk

traveldud

Observer
I get my tarps from OwareUSA.com and have one left from WxTx, which is no longer in business. The tarp shown on the van is a 30d ultralight at just under 10 ounces. It's also used as my solo shelter along with a 6 ounce bivy sack also from Oware and for day hikes as a rain or wind shelter. The tarp in the beach photo is a 70d 10x12, which is a palace for kayaking trips.

The C clamps are the smallest (1.5") I could find in Juneau before we headed out on our 3 year road trip. I put felt tabs on the ends of the clamps to reduce scaring the rain gutters. I've seen better ones since then, but still feel ok with these.

Thank you!

CCH

Adventurer
Very nice tarp rigs! I recently picked up a Kelty Noah's Tarp off Craigslist. Need a couple of more poles for treeless areas, but so far it has been wonderful for creating a sheltered cook area and shade for hanging out under.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
It's just fiberglass and can easily be repaired with epoxy and some paint. Besides I've done a bunch of so far and repaired holes from the original owner.

Choff

Adventurer
I was looking at this same canopy on Amazon, how bad is the set up time. The wife always wants to put up the ez up shelter, just in case it rains. I hate that thing, it's anything but easy. Would really like a better alternative.

Very easy setup, we set up in wind and was a pain, but it worked once I got it secured to the van. I like the vertical polls which you can take out a section to lower it to the ground for high wind or rain .
We cooked under it in full sun and was very nice at the back of van with the vent window open.
Easy to attach to van hinges and does not scratch van.
Packs up nice and easy.
going to use this one for a long time.
We also went to this instead of the EZ UP , a lot smaller to pack up and lighter to set up.

kevinrx7

Observer
Very easy setup, we set up in wind and was a pain, but it worked once I got it secured to the van. I like the vertical polls which you can take out a section to lower it to the ground for high wind or rain .
We cooked under it in full sun and was very nice at the back of van with the vent window open.
Easy to attach to van hinges and does not scratch van.
Packs up nice and easy.
going to use this one for a long time.
We also went to this instead of the EZ UP , a lot smaller to pack up and lighter to set up.
Thanks for the info, appreciate the feedback. I was really hoping to find one like the ARB but can't find a 6 ft wide one that extends more than 6ft out. This one will cover twice the area for a third of the cost.

dcg141

Adventurer
I bought an Aqua Quest tarp and I'm rigging up a system to tie off the side of my trailer. I use pop up canopies on longer trips but I want something I can use anytime and carry it full time. The idea of a tarp that can be configured in any number of setups appeals to me. The Aqua Quest tarps have loops sewn into them so I plan to tie it to the roof rack on my trailer and have a telescoping pole at the opposite end going thru the loops and 2 upright poles with guy lines.

https://aquaquestwaterproof.com/product/safari-sil-tarp-large/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles