Two batteries or one?

wwddnnone

Basic question that I need your expert opinions about.

What are the Pro's and Con's of a single house battery or 2 smaller but same AH potential house batteries?

For example, would a single 4D sized 200AH battery be a better choice than two roughly group 27 batteries rated at 100AH each wired in parallel?

Both examples would be approximately the same size, wiring obviously would be more involved with the dual house setup but not exceptionally so. Battery cost is slightly more for the dual example. Maybe my list of the obvious above answers my question, just wondering if there are more technical details that I'm overlooking.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I believe there is a technical reason why bigger is better, but I can't recall offhand what it is.

But it's the sort of thing only an engineer would care about, and even then only if he was designing a really big system. Like a yacht.

Which is why it doesn't come readily to mind...it's not something that matters most of the time.

So no, there's not really any difference.

wwddnnone

Thanks guys. I kinda had the same feelings as you expressed. Just don't recall any previous discussions.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XPTom

Never hurts to get group 48(or whatever) battery that is interchangeable with your vehicle battery....... in case you're not in front of a battery store when your primary fails.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I believe there is a technical reason why bigger is better, but I can't recall offhand what it is.

But it's the sort of thing only an engineer would care about, and even then only if he was designing a really big system. Like a yacht.

Which is why it doesn't come readily to mind...it's not something that matters most of the time.

So no, there's not really any difference.
Is this an appropriate thread to offer input? I won't if not.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
At least theoretically ...

A single, larger cell would have slightly lower impedance and thus give better performance. (Remember when batteries first went to "through the wall" connections between cells?)

A single, larger cell will have more power for weight, but, at the higher end, a single, larger cell may weigh too much to lift; one reason why my 600Ah bank has four 90 lb. batteries as opposed to two heavier ones.

The reasons why you might want a dual battery system are different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior