Shafter Trail - Scary Ride. But beautiful

unkamonkey

Explorer
Like many here I have done roads like for over 3/4 of my life and it is fine. One trip I was looking at the mountain and trail and suddenly I gained an appreciation for the first person that dug the first road into the hill on an old tracked dozer, perhaps an old cable Cat. Not fun up there with half of your track hanging over the edge and wondering if the tractor is going to be supported by what you just moved over the edge.
Thanks to all of the old prospectors that found and made the roads we enjoy now.

Judoka

Learning To Live
Yous bee korect. Know exkusses, butt you cee, I was publik skool edumacated and don't gots the tailant of a "grammar nazi"
Sorry to have offended wit my miskate.

HA! I am rolling here! Now that is just priceless! Thanks for the laughs :clapsmile

WOW! That view alone is worth any Pucker Factor you may encounter! Nice pic! Had to save that one.

Utah Shafter Trail.jpg

Like many here I have done roads like for over 3/4 of my life and it is fine. One trip I was looking at the mountain and trail and suddenly I gained an appreciation for the first person that dug the first road into the hill on an old tracked dozer, perhaps an old cable Cat. Not fun up there with half of your track hanging over the edge and wondering if the tractor is going to be supported by what you just moved over the edge.
Thanks to all of the old prospectors that found and made the roads we enjoy now.

Amen to that Unkamonkey

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
At the bottom of the Shaffer switchbacks a few months ago. He asked me if the remaining of the WHite Rim trail was like and harder than the switchbacks.

Black Bear Pass is way overrated these days. I was lucky enough to drive the road to Lewis Mine last time in Telluride that was like BBP was 25 years ago, exciting.

Attachments

• shafer motorhome.jpg
    shafer motorhome.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Yeah, OK, so I should have titled the piece "A casual drive on a road". Uh huh, no one would watch it!

Got an idea: next one will be really scary - Driving the roads and highways with idiot drivers. That outta do it!

Everybody has a different perspective in life. I enjoyed the video, I have done The White Rim Trail, and I still enjoy looking at Photos and videos.

I do not think I will ever get bored of the Area.

Thank you for posting!

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
That trail is called Radical Hill. The funny thing is that I took the CEO of the 100+ million dollar company I work for on this when he asked to do a ride along. He got out to take the pix. I actually kidded him about negotiating a raise.

This made me chuckle. Good story.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
HA! I am rolling here! Now that is just priceless! Thanks for the laughs :clapsmile

WOW! That view alone is worth any Pucker Factor you may encounter! Nice pic! Had to save that one.

View attachment 378252

Amen to that Unkamonkey

Man we wanted to do this road so bad over Christmas this year but it was closed...
DSC_0205_zpsbxsmdhsn.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles