2010 Chevy Colorado w/ V8 and Utility Bed

p nut

butter
Yeah...eats up bed space, can't get skis or bikes in there. If would do it...do a flat bed with tool boxes, with a Flip Pac mounted on top. Use the tool box doors (when open) as a shelf for the camp stove..and other BS.

I dunno, buddy of mine has Isuzu box truck...seems like the best thing for hauling gear...paid like $18K for it. Doesn't off road it...but hauls his bikes, motorcycles and kayaks to the trail head...all at once some times....doubles as a shop too. Has a Suby Forester and a old Toyota truck for his dailys.

Yeah, an older gent camped next to us over the summer and pulled up in one of those box trucks. He opened the back, lowered the ramp, and rode his dirt bike down and went for a ride. Came back, up the ramp and parked for the night. He had a cot in there and some cooking stuff. Looked like a pretty nice set up.

Clutch

<---Pass
That is wayyy cool. I wonder if an ARB fridge on a slide would fit in there ? That would be perfect. I am surprised that no one has come out with something like this set up just for overlanding. Or maybe they have & I just haven't seen it ?

I have seen that style on flat beds or utes as the Aussies call it.

PC150234.jpg

Pretty dope! Buddy of mine just sold his Tacoma to buy the worker crew model....decided he really doesn't need 4WD, and wanted a better camper/bike hauler.

Yeah, an older gent camped next to us over the summer and pulled up in one of those box trucks. He opened the back, lowered the ramp, and rode his dirt bike down and went for a ride. Came back, up the ramp and parked for the night. He had a cot in there and some cooking stuff. Looked like a pretty nice set up.

For an all in one camper/gear hauler...hard to beat. He is a crusty old dude and thinks Sprinter owners are dumbarses... ha ha! He is "like" you spent more than twice on that thing and can't haul nearly what I can...you dumbarse! Funny thing is...he has a boat load of money....refuses to spend it though...and why he has a boat load of money.

Could accomplished the same thing with an F150 and an enclosed trailer....and have a MUCH better ride.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
...Could accomplished the same thing with an F150 and an enclosed trailer....and have a MUCH better ride.

Very true. I keep dreaming of a Sprinter van or something like it, but I'd have no idea what to use it for the 350 days a year when I'm not using it. There are some merits to an all-in-one set up, such as stealth camping, but not an issue out here in the West.
_
Truck and trailer, or utility bed set up like this Colorado (trying to steer this thing back on the right trail. :D) is a more versatile set up.

balexander87

Observer
Truck and trailer, or utility bed set up like this Colorado (trying to steer this thing back on the right trail. :D) is a more versatile set up.

Yeah. The more I think about this sort of rig, the more utility I see it providing. Kayaks, canoes, lumber are all easy peasy with the rack, and it would be super nice to keep things organized in the compartments. One thing I noticed is that the bed isn't any wider than the cab, so shouldn't really pose any access limitations.

Clutch

<---Pass
Very true. I keep dreaming of a Sprinter van or something like it, but I'd have no idea what to use it for the 350 days a year when I'm not using it. There are some merits to an all-in-one set up, such as stealth camping, but not an issue out here in the West.
_

Yeah...I don't know what you do with it when not using it, hate spending money on something that is going to sit mostly. Client and I were talking Sprinters yesterday (she rides moto)...VW is buying her TDI Jetta back and then some, so she is looking at new vehicles....Sprinters are cool and all, but doesn't want to daily drive it. They already have a F150...thinking of buying a Tacoma, she only had the Jetta for a year...decided she doesn't like cars, and prefers trucks. (kinda sounds like me!)

All-in-one are cool and all....dunno...kinda sucks when you have to run and go grab something quick. Trailer you just drop it, and use the truck to go run around. Thinking you almost need both...lightweight truck camper and a toyhauler for when the better half comes along.

....annnnnnd to get the thread off the shoulder and back on the road...I can see the Colorado getting overloaded right quick, need something meatier, move over bacon! :D

b810bf05ee43894c36ce8a9785c5658d.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wife and I just came back from a week-long trip to AZ through the Four Corners region. I was surprised at how many Sprinter van based RVs I saw.
But they're so darn BIG! No way would I want something like that to drive everyday.
Honestly something like the Nissan NV would be more my size. I notice there are new generations of cabover vans from the Big 3 out there, the designs look very "European" and I assume they are either imported or made in North America based on European designs.

p nut

butter
Yeah. The more I think about this sort of rig, the more utility I see it providing. Kayaks, canoes, lumber are all easy peasy with the rack, and it would be super nice to keep things organized in the compartments. One thing I noticed is that the bed isn't any wider than the cab, so shouldn't really pose any access limitations.

It would definitely work well for those that need things organized in such ways. I personally like $10 27-gal totes from Costco to keep it all organized in the bed, but security becomes an issue if you have an open bed. If you need security and open bed to carry oblong cargo (bikes, kayaks, etc), it seems to be a good solution.

Yeah...I don't know what you do with it when not using it, hate spending money on something that is going to sit mostly. Client and I were talking Sprinters yesterday (she rides moto)...VW is buying her TDI Jetta back and then some, so she is looking at new vehicles....Sprinters are cool and all, but doesn't want to daily drive it. They already have a F150...thinking of buying a Tacoma, she only had the Jetta for a year...decided she doesn't like cars, and prefers trucks. (kinda sounds like me!)

All-in-one are cool and all....dunno...kinda sucks when you have to run and go grab something quick. Trailer you just drop it, and use the truck to go run around. Thinking you almost need both...lightweight truck camper and a toyhauler for when the better half comes along.

....annnnnnd to get the thread off the shoulder and back on the road...I can see the Colorado getting overloaded right quick, need something meatier, move over bacon! :D

Yep, here comes that payload issue again. We need them fully boxed 1-ton Hiluxes here.
_
Navigating a Sprinter through moderate/err...easy trails.... Wouldn't be fun!

Clutch

<---Pass
Pretty much the conclusion I came to with the long wheelbase Sprinters....too damn long to get to the places I like to go. My main use would be a bike hauler...it gets awfully tight in there with 2-3 bikes and all the gear. Can't remember off hand what the actual cargo space is...we will call it 10' of usable space. That can be accomplished with a 10' trailer and truck...that articulates basically in the middle of the over all length, much more nimble vehicle. Plus keeps on the fuel smell out of the living space.

One of those cab over box trucks would be ok...then you run into height issues.

A F150 with a FWC and either a 5X8 or 5X10 trailer could go quite a few places.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features...k-unlimited-rubicon-and-trailer/photo-02.html

1109-4wd-10%2b2008-jeep-unlimited-rubicon-jk-and-trailer%2brear

p nut

butter
Yeah, I'd even prefer a smaller trailer for extra junk space. That may even solve my desire for more payload capacity as well.
_
Something like this would do the trick. We're ground tenters, but an RTT on top wouldn't be out of the question.
2b930f_5243db85d24a4f36ab2fa702fd3bbdc5.jpg

http://www.rugertrailers.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne