Difficult Putting James Baroud RTT Down - Gas Cylinders

Willy D

I know Iam getting older, but i find it quite difficult to pull my fiberglass top back down. Seems pretty hard to hold it down while at the same time trying to get it latched. Is anyone else having this problem with the gas cylinders being so stiff on the James Baroud? How about the other roof top tent companies, are they any easier to get down and latched? Lastly, any thoughts on the crank down type instead of the gas cylinder type? It seems to me that maybe I should have bought the crank up/down system instead of the gas cylinder system. Is the crank type easier to get down and latched?

Dozer Dan

Observer
I also find it very difficult to close. I've just got mine so I haven't got enough practice yet but so far, quite difficult.
Have you got the old or new model? The struts in the new model are not as strong. I have the new model and I don't think the struts are putting up much of a fight. The difficulty is to push the top down that last 1/2" to catch the latch. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong though as I've seen youtube videos of it being done without much effort. In the cold weather at the moment the fabric is quite stiff, not sure if that's making it more difficult.

Willy D

I have the explorer model. Bought it about 2 years ago. I have only used it on one trip but I had to fight with it every time I closed up the tent. Yeah, when you get it close to latching, that is the hardest part for me. I really struggle with it. I wonder if any modifications can be made.

Dozer Dan

Observer
I'm sure there's a knack to it. One thing I figured out was that instead of opening the bottom of the doors too much to let air out, open the windows. It helped the fabric fall into place much better.
Have a look at this video, looks simple doesn't it.

[video]https://youtu.be/fd9Yz-B3cQg[/video]

Willy D

Thank you for your reply. I am thinking the RTT'S with the crank would have been a better choice. I wonder if I could have mine changed from the cylinder to the crank.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I also find it very difficult to close. I've just got mine so I haven't got enough practice yet but so far, quite difficult.
Have you got the old or new model? The struts in the new model are not as strong. I have the new model and I don't think the struts are putting up much of a fight. The difficulty is to push the top down that last 1/2" to catch the latch. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong though as I've seen youtube videos of it being done without much effort. In the cold weather at the moment the fabric is quite stiff, not sure if that's making it more difficult.

Typically it is just a few little things that will make the whole process much easier. If it is an original style tent, the struts keep tension on the fabric so they will be stiffer. The new style EVO tents have 50% less force to open and close due to an over center locking arm system.

Here are my quick tips,

- Keep the 3 windows open 8" from the bottom
-Pull the upper shell forward as you pull down
-Close the front and latch completely
-Follow by tucking fabric above the arms (really helps the last bit of closing)

Also if you have an Extreme, Explorer or Grand Raid XXL you have increased strut pressure of 60lbs to support the cargo loads on the upper shell. If you are not utilizing this feature I recommend contacting James Baroud USA and picking up a set of non cargo struts.

Let me know if you have questions and I will be happy to assist.

Willy D

Thank you very helpful. How many pounds of pressure are the non cargo struts? Would there be a noticeable difference? Are the old ones easy to take out and the new ones easy to put in? Is it possible to retrofit your tent with the crank/scissor jacks? Lastly, what would be the cost of each (the non cargo struts) and the (crank/scissor system - if possible to retrofit)?

joelbert

Adventurer
I also use 4 rope loops (6-8" total) (1/latch) to hold it closed about 4-6" so I can properly tuck it. Next time I'm out (12/11) will take a picture and post as I put it down.

Dozer Dan

Observer
I also use 4 rope loops (6-8" total) (1/latch) to hold it closed about 4-6" so I can properly tuck it.

That's a great idea.
I think I need to figure out the tucking of the material as well. All I know is 'over the legs'.
I'll get to practice some more this weekend :)

rino

Thank you very helpful. How many pounds of pressure are the non cargo struts? Would there be a noticeable difference? Are the old ones easy to take out and the new ones easy to put in? Is it possible to retrofit your tent with the crank/scissor jacks? Lastly, what would be the cost of each (the non cargo struts) and the (crank/scissor system - if possible to retrofit)?

No worries, the non-cargo struts are 60lbs less pressure than the cargo struts but I do not know the pressure offhand. Yes the struts are readily available, we have not used the crank system for 10+ years so this is not an option.

rino

I also use 4 rope loops (6-8" total) (1/latch) to hold it closed about 4-6" so I can properly tuck it. Next time I'm out (12/11) will take a picture and post as I put it down.

I have not seen this yet, but it sounds interesting. Please do post pictures when you have a chance.

Willy D

Thank you for the advise Frenchie. Decisions Decisions..... Maybe your rope method will work for me, I'll wait and try that before I decide on spending more money. I see you are from New Mexico. I lived in Phoenix for awhile and traveled through N.M. Beautiful part of the country, I miss it and would like to spend some time there again someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz