Difficult Putting James Baroud RTT Down - Gas Cylinders

joelbert

Adventurer
Rather than wait until next weekend to get a picture of them in operation, here is a quick picture of them and how I use them. This holds the tent so that I can tuck it in properly (or to my satisfaction).

loops.jpg

Willy D

Frenchie,

Thank you for this information, sounds like you have a lot of experience concerning this matter. If you don't mind, I would like to ask you another question. My vehicle sets up fairly high and I was thinking of getting another vehicle that is a compact car that gets excellent gas mileage so I could travel more economically. I wouldn't be traveling off road too much, so the low ground clearance wouldn't be a concern to me. It would also make it easier to access the tent too. However, what I am concerned about is whether a small car like, lets say, a Toyota Corolla, or something similar, would be able to haul a RTT. Have you any knowledge how this would work out for me.

Willy D

Joelbert,

Thank you, I see what your saying, this might just be very helpful to me. I think I get the concept of what you are doing.

Willy D

Willy D

Well, Frenchie that's why I asked. With all your experience, I figured you could provide some good insight and that you did. I am new to all of this since I just retired too. I would love to see the country and enjoy life for awhile. I love the west and would like to experience it by just keeping it as simple as possible. Any beautiful places that you would recommend?

Dozer Dan

Observer
It's actually really easy to close. I was just doing it wrong.

I have the 2016 model Evasion Evolution. It has 'handles' at the front left and rear right corners only. Not in the middle as previous models. It also doesn't have the bungee cord on the inside to pull the walls in. It has weaker struts but to be honest, now that I know how to close it right I don't think stronger struts would be a problem. I should mention as well that I'm a pretty small guy. The first couple of times closing I was sweating and was all sore after. Now I can close the tent in under a minute without using any force.

I did make one modification. I added a piece of string to the rear handle. The reason being, as you pull down the tent on the right hand side you can push in the fabric with your free hand. But the same needs to be done on the other side and if you close the top to the point where you can hook on the latch then you have closed it too far, you won't be able to properly tuck in the fabric. So that's it really, one little bit of string makes a world of difference.

Start at the front left corner and pull the top down half ways with your right hand and with your left hand push in the fabric at the front of the tent.
When you got about half way change hands and with you right hand start pushing in the fabric over the leg. As you push in the fabric the top of the tent will naturally fall into position so you can easily hook on the first hook. Just hook on, don't close fully.
Move over to the other side and push in the fabric over the leg and hook on the latch, close the latch fully.
Move back to the lhs and close the latch fully.
Move to the rear rhs. Slowly pull down the top with your left hand and push the fabric in with your right hand. Clip on the helper string.
Move over to the other side and push in the fabric. Close the latch fully.
Move back to the rhs, tuck in the handle and close the latch fully
done!

With a bit of practice that should be effortless and very quick.

I was worried I had bought the wrong tent when I was struggling so hard to close it but it's actually really really easy. I'm super happy with the tent now that I have figured it out. Hopefully this will be of help to people trying to figure out how to close the tent.

8960CCC6-5F00-4651-948A-121275E7BFB1_zpsuihl4umt.jpg

Last edited:

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
It's actually really easy to close. I was just doing it wrong.

I have the 2016 model Evasion Evolution. It has 'handles' at the front left and rear right corners only. Not in the middle as previous models. It also doesn't have the bungee cord on the inside to pull the walls in. It has weaker struts but to be honest, now that I know how to close it right I don't think stronger struts would be a problem. I should mention as well that I'm a pretty small guy. The first couple of times closing I was sweating and was all sore after. Now I can close the tent in under a minute without using any force.

I did make one modification. I added a piece of string to the rear handle. The reason being, as you pull down the tent on the right hand side you can push in the fabric with your free hand. But the same needs to be done on the other side and if you close the top to the point where you can hook on the latch then you have closed it too far, you won't be able to properly tuck in the fabric. So that's it really, one little bit of string makes a world of difference.

Start at the front left corner and pull the top down half ways with your right hand and with your left hand push in the fabric at the front of the tent.
When you got about half way change hands and with you right hand start pushing in the fabric over the leg. As you push in the fabric the top of the tent will naturally fall into position so you can easily hook on the first hook. Just hook on, don't close fully.
Move over to the other side and push in the fabric over the leg and hook on the latch, close the latch fully.
Move back to the lhs and close the latch fully.
Move to the rear rhs. Slowly pull down the top with your left hand and push the fabric in with your right hand. Clip on the helper string.
Move over to the other side and push in the fabric. Close the latch fully.
Move back to the rhs, tuck in the handle and close the latch fully
done!

With a bit of practice that should be effortless and very quick.

I was worried I had bought the wrong tent when I was struggling so hard to close it but it's actually really really easy. I'm super happy with the tent now that I have figured it out. Hopefully this will be of help to people trying to figure out how to close the tent.

8960CCC6-5F00-4651-948A-121275E7BFB1_zpsuihl4umt.jpg

Nice! Glad you got the hang of it and great write up.

Willy D

Thank you Dozer Dan. That is helpful. Do you think it would be possible to retrofit my older style with the handles that your newer tent is equipped with. There has to be a way you would think.

joelbert

Adventurer
Rope loops in use

As previously indicated, here are the rope loops that I use and how I actually use them when putting the tent down to tuck the material in.

combo.jpg

Willy D

Thank you Joelbert for taking the time to post this information, very helpful indeed. I will be doing the the same thing. The photo on the far left looks a little different than the others. Am I correct? If so, could you please explain.

One problem I encountered was in the mornings when there was a lot of dew on the top part (lid), the wet surface really made it a challenge getting it closed down. I think a pair of rubber type gloves that would get a grip along with your rope would be very beneficial. Most like the ropes themselves would do the trick.

joelbert

Adventurer
The photo on the far left looks a little different than the others. Am I correct? If so, could you please explain.

I think that is just the camera angle since I have to squeeze between my truck cab and the front of the tent and then also holding the cell phone to try to get the picture. All 4 are the same size and used the same way.

One problem I encountered was in the mornings when there was a lot of dew on the top part (lid), the wet surface really made it a challenge getting it closed down. I think a pair of rubber type gloves that would get a grip along with your rope would be very beneficial. Most like the ropes themselves would do the trick.

Yes, I have found on the front portion where it is curved that it would be really nice if there was a grip or something once you have gotten it down to within reach to hold onto while doing the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94