2002 Silverado 1500-3/4 ton springs in the rear for lift and payload?

I'm starting a buildup on an '02 Silverado 5.3L Z71 I rescued from the boneyard, and the first thing I want to do is gain a little extra ground clearance, so I planned to replace the worn-out factory shocks with some Bilstein 5100s and install a 2" torsion key to fit 285/75/16 ATs.

However, I prefer the forward rake from an ascetic standpoint, and since I plan to have a ton of stuff in the back on a semi-regular basis, I want to replace the rear leafs with 3/4-ton leafs. The part numbers lead me to believe they'll bolt right up, but what I can't find is if they'll give any extra lift to match the lift in the front from the torsion keys. Has anyone tried a 3/4-ton spring conversion in a GMT-800 pickup?

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, just because you put on heavy duty springs does not mean your payload will increase. For safety reasons you should not of over factory specs. Especially when it comes to weight.

If all you're after is rake, then don't max out the T bars. Only go half way. If you do crank the T bars, you might want to look into high quality spacers if you will have a lot of weight in the truck.

My .02

p nut

butter
You won't change the GVWR by changing out the suspension. Lot more go into that. i.e. F150 HD Payload package comes with HD suspension, beefier frame, axles, etc. over the standard F150. It will probably give you a lift and a stiffer ride, but that's about it.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm starting a buildup on an '02 Silverado 5.3L Z71 I rescued from the boneyard, and the first thing I want to do is gain a little extra ground clearance, so I planned to replace the worn-out factory springs with some Bilstein 5100s and install a 2" torsion key to fit 285/75/16 ATs.

However, I prefer the forward rake from an ascetic standpoint, and since I plan to have a ton of stuff in the back on a semi-regular basis, I want to replace the rear leafs with 3/4-ton leafs. The part numbers lead me to believe they'll bolt right up, but what I can't find is if they'll give any extra lift to match the lift in the front from the torsion keys. Has anyone tried a 3/4-ton spring conversion in a GMT-800 pickup?

The 5100's are shocks, not springs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, just because you put on heavy duty springs does not mean your payload will increase. For safety reasons you should not of over factory specs. Especially when it comes to weight.

If all you're after is rake, then don't max out the T bars. Only go half way. If you do crank the T bars, you might want to look into high quality spacers if you will have a lot of weight in the truck.

My .02

Sorry, I should have been more clear-I don't plan on going over the rated payload of a half-ton anyways, but with tents and gear and racks and such in the bed off-road, I'm going to be sitting at or near maximum capacity on a semi-regular basis. I'm not trying to turn it into a 3/4-ton, just something to add a little longevity and maintain factory handling when it's loaded.

The 5100's are shocks, not springs.

Sorry, typo.

Ramblejam

Observer
but what I can't find is if they'll give any extra lift to match the lift in the front from the torsion keys.

Is the truck currently equipped with 2/1 rear leaf springs? 6.875" arch, 1.75" pack thickness, 1500lb capacity.
Next step up is 4/1. 6.5" arch, 2.75" pack thickness. 2000lb. capacity
There's also 7/1. 5.75" arch, 3.8125" pack thickness. Over 3000lb. capacity.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Is the truck currently equipped with 2/1 rear leaf springs? 6.875" arch, 1.75" pack thickness, 1500lb capacity.
Next step up is 4/1. 6.5" arch, 2.75" pack thickness. 2000lb. capacity
There's also 7/1. 5.75" arch, 3.8125" pack thickness. Over 3000lb. capacity.

Where would you get these different springs? Is the 4/1, 2/1, 7/1 the # of leafs in the pack?

I also have Chevy 1500 springs in my Explorer. With my heavy swingout tire carrier bumper, drawers in the cargo area full of supplies and other gear on top of the drawers, my springs sit very flat (no arch) and tend to be a little soft while offroad and on road. I've toyed with the idea of just a simple add-a-leaf but haven't pulled the trigger. I think the proper leaf pack (whatever that might be) is probably the best answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94