Picking up a Military Trailer, have some questions about transporting it

AbnMike

Observer
I'm likely to be buying a former Swiss Military Pinzgauer trailer in 600kg configuration. It has not been converted to 12V and still has a Bosch NATO style 7 pin plug on it.

It's an 8 hour drive from me. Do they make some kind of adapter to be able to get power from my truck (flat prongs) to the trailer (7 round prongs)?

The trailer doesn't have brakes so that's a plus, don't have to worry about actuating them. I'll be towing with a 1996 Discovery.

Attachments

• Plug.jpg
    Plug.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Discovery plug.jpg
    Discovery plug.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 30

RDK13

Observer
you might think about using one of those temporary towing light sets or you could contact Etrailer.com I have found them to be very helpful with trailer wiring solutions.

Robert Bills

Explorer
^^^ This.

63100_zzz_500.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
The 24V system is not an issue. the 24V lights on a 12V system will be just a bit less bright. If you need a female plug for your Pinzgauer male plug go to Swiss Army Vehicle site and order one that will work. Not expensive and it will allow you to use the lights that are on the trailer and avoid needless adapters. I put one on my 07 LR3.
I used one to connect my pinz and use the Jeep as well for the trailer.
Not that this will get you home but it can be used for future adventures and still leave you able to tow other things with your rig. the mag lights from Harbor Freight will do for that.

Last edited:

McCall Pinz

Observer
Post some pics when you get it. The Swiss Sutter trailers have some nice features. I never found one near me and went with an M416 that was available locally. Do you have a Pinz tow rig?

AbnMike

Observer
Picked it up yesterday - 16 hour round trip, left at 0545 and arrived back at 2145 - no lunch, no dinner, only stops were for gas (frequently since my Discovery only gets 11 mpg highway - BONUS: I only dropped 0.2 mph towing the trailer. Didn't even notice it was back there and the pintle hitch was great no noises, no clunking, way better than a ball hitch mount).

Looks like the wheel configuration will match my NATO rims on my Discovery, so that's a huge bonus.

Problem is I used those magnetic lights per suggestion, but I have off road lights (a bull bar LED set up run off its own switch and a rack mounted set of spots run off their own switch). My trailer plug power source is attached. I used a plug in adapter that was given to me by the previous owner and pluged the flat four prong into that.

And every time I hit the brakes the front mounted LED bar lit up like a Christmas tree, plus the trailer lights were ON when no brakes, and dimmed when pressing brakes.

I highly doubt the previous owner messed it up as he was an electrician or something and this thing is wired right - I can even control the lights externally - never had a problem (though never towed atrailer before). I wrote to him to see if he has any ideas, but it's weird that it's backfeeding to that front LED bar.

I will say I was worried the pintle hitch would be loud - I didn't notice it at all. No clunking like with a ball hitch. None. At all. Everything should be like this.

Attachments

• Discovery plug.jpg
    Discovery plug.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 12
  • Trailer.jpg
    Trailer.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 00F0F_gGiPECHvczw_1200x900.jpg
    00F0F_gGiPECHvczw_1200x900.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads