Flatbed- function over form ?

UHAULER

Explorer
I've been thinking about building a flatbed for my 02 f350 scsb. I have an 03 f150 supercrew as my daily driver. The f350 sits a lot. I was trying to sell it and possibly build a dedicated camper or van but after looking at other vehicles I would probably have just as much if not more money into a project vehicle.
The plan would be to build a flatbed and a removable hardside camper, bare bones, more utilitarian to carry dirt bikes etc. I know a flat bed would be more user friendly. Some flatbeds look great and take advantage of underbed storage while others look ugly, mainly the beds without underside storage.

Nice beds
dodge_ram_2500_flatbed_hawk_cabover_truck_camper_short_bed_Arizona.jpg

DSC_1749.jpg

3665e7a5bf98d14c8c03eba9ce1a4022.jpg

09c50482278050cf9a96ead1725a3d30.jpg

Not so nice look- IMO

Flatbed-Fleet-exterior-camper-2.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Steel flatbeds are heavy, and from my experience the paint they put on them is junk. I'd look at the aluminum ones, the highway products models look nice online, I've never seen them in person.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I wanted a flat bed for our hard side hauler ( f-550) Aluminum was hard to find that wasnt $$$$$. A couple of the flat bed manufactures said they would not recommend tossing a 3500lbs camper on an aluminum flatbed. Fourwheel or lighter pop-up no problem. Fully loaded hardside not so much. There is a company in Norcal that will build a custom service body to fit your camper, super cool, and a tad $$$. I love my flat bed for work use. I added a couple of top side boxes for tools and extra gear. They could easily be taken off when I need the full flat bed. I went with a skirted bed ( steel) from CM truck beds as I didnt like the 'open" look either.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
A bit OT but I remember over in Asia (Korea) the most common kinds of small trucks had flat beds with drop sides. Raising the drop sides let the bed act kind of like an American pickup (although the sides weren't nearly as high as the sides of a US pickup truck - these were maybe 8" - 10" or so) but you could drop the sides and load the truck like a flatbed.
I wonder why that style never caught on over here? Seems like it could be useful, don't you think?
EDITED TO ADD: Come to think of it, Army 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton cargo trucks also had drop sides. I don't know if the current FMTVs do or not as they were just bringing those in when I was leaving active duty in the 1990's.

justafurnaceman

I'm starting a very similar project. It's been proving to be difficult finding a bed that will allow me to put a camper on and work with off-roading too. Most of the ones I see hang quite low in the rear which I'm not fond of. I would like it to function well but also look nice.

MR. ED

Observer
That's funny. I've been thinking about putting a flatbed on my f150 supercrew. I've looked at Ute beds and CM as well. I think a flatbed would be great for my needs.

Clutch

<---Pass
A bit OT but I remember over in Asia (Korea) the most common kinds of small trucks had flat beds with drop sides. Raising the drop sides let the bed act kind of like an American pickup (although the sides weren't nearly as high as the sides of a US pickup truck - these were maybe 8" - 10" or so) but you could drop the sides and load the truck like a flatbed.
I wonder why that style never caught on over here? Seems like it could be useful, don't you think?
EDITED TO ADD: Come to think of it, Army 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton cargo trucks also had drop sides. I don't know if the current FMTVs do or not as they were just bringing those in when I was leaving active duty in the 1990's.

Because...majority of trucks sold here in the US, don't get used for work. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94