FUSO CANTER Reliability Issues

rea9390

Wondering it the all the transmission and emission issues with the newer trucks have been sorted out or a pre 2007 is the way to go. Read through some threads about all the transmission issues dealing with possible contamination, re-flashing, flushing of tranny fluid, recalls and replacement of some transmissions. I think their is still an unresolved class action suit against Mitsu regarding issues with the emission system causing the trucks to be undrivable.

Thanks

skippythedog

Observer
.....Simply not having that giant DEF apparatus occupying the whole side of the truck is worth the search for a <2007 model. I feel very fortunate to have scored a low mile (50k) gently used 2007 which I actually use as a daily driver (replacing an 07 Tundra). It's 5 feet shorter, 4" skinnier, hauls more, gets better mileage, is actually more comfortable, (aside from a bit harsher ride, which can be mitigated), more maneuverable, has better visibility, is much simpler to service etc. The manual transmission and lack of multiple powered circuits, relays etc. is a welcome respite and harkens back to simpler times. You have to be diligent, quick to commit if you find a deal and willing to bring it home from a long way off. I think it's worth it....without even considering all the current problems and caveats which you cite in your inquiry....

cheers, good luck and happy hunting...

kerry

Expedition Leader
You probably saw my comments in 'Dealer Remarks' but when a dealer you trust says, 'Never sell your 1999', it says something about his confidence in more recent versions of the truck.

Bris31

Adventurer
.....Simply not having that giant DEF apparatus occupying the whole side of the truck is worth the search for a <2007 model. I feel very fortunate to have scored a low mile (50k) gently used 2007 which I actually use as a daily driver (replacing an 07 Tundra). It's 5 feet shorter, 4" skinnier, hauls more, gets better mileage, is actually more comfortable, (aside from a bit harsher ride, which can be mitigated), more maneuverable, has better visibility, is much simpler to service etc. The manual transmission and lack of multiple powered circuits, relays etc. is a welcome respite and harkens back to simpler times. You have to be diligent, quick to commit if you find a deal and willing to bring it home from a long way off. I think it's worth it....without even considering all the current problems and caveats which you cite in your inquiry.... cheers, good luck and happy hunting...

+1 :)

You probably saw my comments in 'Dealer Remarks' but when a dealer you trust says, 'Never sell your 1999', it says something about his confidence in more recent versions of the truck.

+11 :victory:

I just wanted to revive this thread to see if their had been any advancments with the 2007+ DEF automatic Fuso? I'm looking at building an overland rig and their is a nice 2012 auto not far away with low mileage that was used in a landscape business, but I have a couple of concerns after reading the above comments;
1. Should I stay away from an automatic?
2. Is it possible to travel 3rd world with a DEF vehicle? If not, has anyone been successful deleting theirs? Note: I live where there is no emission testing.
3. Are they still having emissions issues or have they worked the bugs out?

Thanks in advance.

Howard70

Adventurer
I just wanted to revive this thread to see if their had been any advancments with the 2007+ DEF automatic Fuso? I'm looking at building an overland rig and their is a nice 2012 auto not far away with low mileage that was used in a landscape business, but I have a couple of concerns after reading the above comments;
1. Should I stay away from an automatic?

My wife and I are currently enjoying our second EarthCruiser. This one is based on a 2017 FG chassis and our previous was a 2014 chassis. Both trucks have the Duonic 6 speed transmission. We really prefer that transmission over the manual transmissions we've driven in other FGs. I abhor flame wars and I'm adverse to judging what others prefer so I won't argue merits of the two transmissions with anyone. But I'm happy to tell you our experiences and why we like the Duonic. However, realize that it is not a typical automatic transmission based upon a torque convertor. Rather it is a double clutch transmission that can handle it's own up and down shifts via computer control (a plethora of inputs involved in it's decisions - all of which can be researched via pdf versions of the shop manual you can purchase online). You can let it shift itself or you can decide when to upshift and downshift or you can use a hybrid strategy.

A. Very easy to drive in traffic once moving. The trucks act like they like to think about things ahead of time and thus do not start out rapidly from a dead stop. This takes getting used to when trying to thread yourself into cross traffic but we've learned enough tricks to make it OK. Apparently there are close to five versions of the Duonic transmissions & software between 2012 and 2018 (according to the service manager at Portland Fuso [one of our favorite places to get service]). We do feel that the 2017 has a shifting decision tree that more closely mimics our driving patterns than the 2014. However, the 2014 has probably had software upgrades since we sold it (the current owner seems happy with it) and may be hard to distinguish. Both trucks had varying tendencies to shift down from 6th to 5th at inopportune moments on the interstate. We learned to solve that by letting the truck shift through an acceleration to 6th and then going manual to avoid the downshifts that would occur on rolling hills.

B. Off pavement we use a combination of our shifts and letting the truck shift itself. We find it easy to "flow" with the terrain and topography that way. With some tricky work by my left foot (getting it around the steering column) I can left-foot brake and modulate the accelerator with my right foot. That allows me to smoothly maintain momentum through really rough terrain while keeping the engine rpms above 700 to get enough power.

C. The main disadvantage in our mind to the Duonic is the lack of a two-speed transfer case. I've gone over that in several other posts, but for our driving and remote area destinations we feel the advantages to the duonic outweigh the lack of the really low crawling gears we'd get from a two speed transfer case. Now if we could get a two speed transfer case and keep the Duonic we'd jump at that opportunity. So to be clear - I wish the Duonic had a two speed transfer case, but I don't miss that enough to drive an older truck with a manual transmission. Others definitely feel differently and I respect them and their opinions tremendously - even though we differ!

D. Some earlier (2012 - 2015) trucks had transmission issues. All of those that I know of personally were replaced by Fuso and are now operating well.

2. Is it possible to travel 3rd world with a DEF vehicle? If not, has anyone been successful deleting theirs? Note: I live where there is no emission testing.

Depending upon your third world destinations you can get DEF and the low sulfur fuel associated with DPF. Other destinations make that hard. Do your own research about altering emissions systems. I've heard rumors from good sources, but you might want to look into federal regulations and plan your communications appropriately.

3. Are they still having emissions issues or have they worked the bugs out?

Our 2017 FG has had no emissions issues at all. Our 2014 was more problematic although all were repaired by Fuso and Fuso completely replaced the emissions system and other engine components for the second owner under warranty. I understand they are currently enjoying the truck without problems.

Summary:

If I was starting over again, knowing everything that I've learned in the last 6 years of wandering about in two EarthCruisers based on Duonic transmitted and diesel emissions compliant Fuso FGs, I would try to get the most recent truck I could afford. If I was going to get a used truck, I get the most recent I could find. If I was looking at a 2012, I would be worried because it would be out of Fuso's 5 year powertrain warranty and likely out of the emissions warranty as well. In that case I would ask the FG community for highly recommended Fuso dealer service centers (not simply service centers) and choose the best near the truck I was interested in. I would then call that Fuso dealer service center with the truck's VIN and ask what recall and other servicing had been done. I'd ask what recall servicing is available for that truck and if it would be done under warranty. Satisfied with those responses, I would take the truck to them and pay them to do a thorough inspection including computer connected evaluations. I'd get the highest estimate to rectify all conditions they identified and I would take that estimate into account to formulate my purchase offer for the truck.

Good luck!

Howard L. Snell

lvivier

I have a 2018 Fuso FG4x4 but I'm still in the build out stage and not many miles on it. So not much to say about reliability. No recalls as yet. But regarding suitability for world travel, I've come across two blogs in particular where owners of modern Iveco Daily 4x4 trucks are documenting their global travels. A Daily is not a Fuso, but the F1C engine in the Daily 4x4 is very similar to the 4P10 in newer Fuso FGs (both built by Sofim) and I believe the emissions control systems are similar too. You can read what they have to say:

- Tucks Truck
- Muse Overland

Both owners added big aftermarket fuel tanks to their trucks to extend range and avoid filling up in the sketchiest locations. I plan on doing the same.

Last edited:

Mr Rehab

Traveller
I've come across two blogs in particular where owners of modern Iveco Daily 4x4 trucks are documenting their global travels. A Daily is not a Fuso, but the F1C engine in the Daily 4x4 is very similar to the 4P10 in newer Fuso FGs (both built by Sofim) You can read what they have to say:

- Tucks Truck
- Muse Overland

Marcus Tuck writes a very informative blog and knows his stuff, well worth reading, but I‘m sure his Iveco does not use DEF if that’s the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles