Dual battery install on my 2009 LR3

roverpat

Observer
I am using the Front Runner full rack and have fabricated a few items to work with the rack that I cannot buy. I am now working on a removable (using the bolt on configuration of the FR rack) holder for the panel. Involves putting the panel on the rack with the working side of the panel facing down for travel with the ability to face it up or remote locate it to optimize sun location. I located the sand ladders under the rack in fabricated rails. I thought to locate the panel in a similar configuration toward the front but the sun roof opening is too close to the bottom of the rack when opened.
Always fun to figure out ways to use the rack but not put heavy items up there.

The LR rack is riveted together I am going to take it and have all the parts tig welded up. I dont feel confident putting an awning on the side of it with out making it a little stronger.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Between the main battery and the charge solenoid. Wanted to separate my house battery completely unless being charged. Unlikely there will be a short but want to keep the main battery protected.

roverpat

Observer
Between the main battery and the charge solenoid. Wanted to separate my house battery completely unless being charged. Unlikely there will be a short but want to keep the main battery protected.

Ah. Good point, look like Ill be wiring that in for little insurance

roverpat

Observer
So brief update. 100 Watt ridgid solar panel by HQST is mounted to roof rack at the front to allow cargo to be put at back. Ran 12 gauge wires from panel to controller. May go to 10 gauge to minimize voltage drop. Have not had any days of constant sunlight so cant get an accurate measurement but I always see the second battery is charging when I get in the vehicle. Will try and get pics today.

Exploder
Am I the only person that's running a large fridge in a stock LR3 with nary a problem? Maybe I should buy lottery tickets.

roverpat

Observer
Am I the only person that's running a large fridge in a stock LR3 with nary a problem? Maybe I should buy lottery tickets.

I do not have a fridge yet. Whats your build setup? I am going to go with a Dometic CFX-95DZUS Fridge freezer. My wife wants to go to OBX for a week and there is no power or water so I have to pack it all in and out

keeper1616

Observer
I think it all depends on how often you drive. If I don't run the truck for 20-30 minutes every 4 days or so, the battery is dead. Granted, this is the secondary battery, so it doesn't really matter, but I wouldn't want to have a problem with my primary battery. When I was driving it every day as a commuter, I never had any issues.

Exploder
I do not have a fridge yet. Whats your build setup? I am going to go with a Dometic CFX-95DZUS Fridge freezer. My wife wants to go to OBX for a week and there is no power or water so I have to pack it all in and out

Well, I don't have a build. I have a stock truck with an ARB 50 fridge. I'll be adding some tie down tabs to two of the second row seat bolts so that I can secure Pelicans and jerry cans that are stowed above the flat second row. There's usually a Pelican case with tools and a first aid kit. And I scored some solid lug nuts.

That's the extent of my "build".

morrisdl

Adventurer
Id love to do a solar project, but have not needed it yet. I have a Dometic 40L that runs 12-18 hours every night on the stock battery no problems. My LR3 is wired for a 2nd, but I stole it years ago for the ski boat in a pinch and never replaced it. We wheel all day to the next camp site, so it gets recharged daily.

roverpat

Observer
I got issues now that I have a full sun day. Posted this in solar forum as well. Components listed to help. Any ideas are welcome.

2009 Land Rover LR3
OEM Land Rover starting battery
Group 34 Yellow top
National Luna dual battery kit
Mohoo CMG-2420 Solar charge controller
HQST 100 watt 12 Volt Polycrystalline Solar Panel

My issue is that the panel will charge the second battery at 14.5-15volts then kick up to 18volts due to the NL kit allowing simultaneous charging. In turn the charge controller reads the linked batteries as a 24V system. 18v going to a 12v battery is not good. Does anyone or has anyone had this same issue and what did you do to alleviate. I may have to switch the dual charge kit as I think there is not an easy way but maybe I am wrong. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94