So is the gen III really that good

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
If you get 13mpg in a Montero you will get 9mpg in an LC, I get on average 18mpg in the Monty and I got about 15mpg in the GX470/J120 so I imagine the LX470/J100 gets slightly worse mileage.

Offroadmuch

Explorer

In reference to shopping for Monteros on Craigslist I would strongly urge people to look at Cargurus.com it will search all or nearly all online vehicle sellers in the specified area up to and including nationwide if you pick that option. You will find a much better selection. I found mine that way. One big bonus with a car dealer is the chance to get a warranty. Many banks or credit unions will not finance or warranty a vehicle over 10 years old. A dealer can usually offer a warranty and for a used Montero that can be pretty cost effective. Just another option for searching.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
As far as gremlins on Monteros there is one that would be wise to take care of and that is the brake booster motor. They are very expensive to replace with original equipment. But there is hope. On Ebay and Amazon you can find a quality rebuild brake booster assembly or just the motor for about $300 which is half of the cost of a new one. This is a real safety issue since failure can leave you without brakes. And while I am on the subject of preventative maintenance a new fuel pump is about $80 and easy to install. With these two things your ability to keep stopping and keep going are greatly increased.

With all that said, if you are in the market for a 10-13 year old vehicle the Monteros are really solid. Many were never offroad because they were purchased as family SUV's instead of the even more nerdy minivans. So if you get one that was driven to soccer games and the mall it may need only basic scheduled maintenance and give you a lot of good service.

Good luck to you!

KyleT

Explorer
Could you expand on this a little more? I don't have a Gen III, but I do have a Gen 2.5 and a UZJ100. They are quite different in drive and feeling, even though they are closer in design.

The 100 and the gen2/2.5 are very similar. Or they were to me. I liked the 2.5 but was underpowered IMO.

The gen 3 compares 90% to a mk3 Range Rover. I mean it's not a Range Rover but for a full size SUV it has a plush ride and comfortable seats. Ifs/irs is a nice ride.

Highway noise is 100% from the tires. They are super finicky with tire choice because the chassis is monocoque and super stiff. One of the stiffest made. The Pajero forums really dig into this deep.

Yes on the leaks except. My 06 is drop free at 192k yet the 03 leaks like crazy from the cam seals.

They are not perfect but they are an excellent value per dollar ontop of being a great car compared to the big luxury brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
I'm pretty much in agreement so far...

When that pesky brake booster motor goes out, and the dealer quotes you the cost of another Montero to fix it, then remember where you saved this link from our great Pajero friends down under:
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=46516

Btw, when learning about Gen 3s, search for pretty much any post by Michael Brown here, and you will know what you need to know. Add to that Sabre (overlanding nurse) great trip reports of the Gen 3 in action.

Ok, I'm heading off on a tangent as usual, so exit the vehicle now if you wish. On my sales and service route, two regular stops contained folks that drove 40th Anniversary Land Cruisers. Nearly every time I saw them, I thought "one of these days, I'll save up and get one of those". Now that I have a Gen 3 Montero, I think "Man I'm sure glad I didn't get one of those..." I just can't see the cost/benefit working out favorably, unless all I care about is high and frequent repair costs, impressing folks, and resale values. I also toyed with the idea of doing a 4WD conversion to our trusty family Ford van, with the Montero, that former great engineering idea now seems absolutely ridiculous. I could have bought two Monteros for the 4WD conversion cost of the van, and still missed out on all the luxury creature comforts.

For me the Montero Gen 3 is a combination of Dudley Do-Right and Underdog all in one. If you aren't old enough, Youtube is your friend, make sure to find the original cartoon versions. Dudley stumbled along, but was always faithful and always in the end, rescued the girl that the evil Snidely Whiplash tied to the railroad tracks. Underdog, in city guise was known as the "humble lovable shoeshine boy", but when Sweet Polly got into trouble, well he always won. (the "sound of thunder and power of lightning") not withstanding in regards to the anemic engine power we have.

You're never going to impress the folks at the country club, or be able to brag about how high your lease payment or comprehensive insurance policy is, but when on the trail, get used to ignoring the snickering commentary as you pass by the struggling Jeep, or the overly-lifted 4WD diesel truck that got into trouble while showing off. Just be magnanimous when you offer the recovery strap and with care and skill get them back on the trail using the previously "poo-pooed" 3rd Gen Montero (Dudley of the Mounties).

To put it another way, for me,the Gen 3 is like the Mossberg Maverick 88 of the shotgun world. Low entry cost, not flashy, be quite reliable when cared for, and you won't believe how much fun it is using it to show up the elites with their engraved showpiece shotguns at the shooting range. (Ok, truth told my wife has a 2nd hand Beretta...).

I warned you it was quite the tangent. Set your mind to catch up and beat the usual gremlins, keep up the regular maintenance and enjoy the ride. The Gen 3 Montero in my mind is the best kept secret in the off-road world for most of us who really only spend a small percentage of the time really off-roading. The Aussies seem to worship them, (Pajeros) what's not to like?

Skidmarkart

Observer
180k and counting on my 2004. All I have done is routine maintenance, and replaced an alternator. I average 18-19 MPG in mixed driving. It has some idiosyncrasies at this point, but I plan on keeping it until it dies. I drove it from NC to Utah to do the White Rim Trail two years ago, with 170k, didn't think twice about it. Gen 3's are fantastic, well engineered, and tough. They are easy to live with, and can do some damn tough off-road work or be a mall crawler or grocery getter. If I ever see another one with low milage, I will buy it.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
The Inc-X scale

Here's how I rate USDM available Mitsubishi 4x4 chassis' in terms of 'good to go' out of the box (or off the lot, whatever you call it)

Best to good:

1. Early Gen 2 quad cam SR - Easiest to build into insanity, lots of power available and very little emissions to trick

2. Later gen 2 and 2.5 - Also easy to build but tend to come with less gears and mitsu started to cut costs so things like transfer case shifters and heater cores are more of a problem.

3. Gen 3 - fantastic all around rig with the right set of tires and armor. this would be a great expo rig that the wife wouldnt mind driving anywhere

4. Gen 1 V6 LS's - Good engine, good drivetrain, limited slip, vintage look that can't be beat, easy to swap in the Gen 2 stuff for a modern built vintage truck. With upgrades it can move right up to the top.

5. Any Montero Sport - they're lighter duty but will take full size montero parts and are a low buck easy to build rig

6. Mighty Max, V6 or 4 cyl, limited on tire size until lift, full size montero parts swap in, good hunting truck, leaf sprung rear

7. Gen 1 4 cyl - its at the bottom simply because it runs a really bad carburetor and it's more rare to find a good one, when you do, you still end up swapping in all the bigger truck parts to make it proper but it's a great light trail truck and daily driver when set up properly and can easily move up in the ranks, although it's leaf sprung rear like the mighty max and earlier Montero Sport.

That's my rating system and my opinion. I love pretty much all the trucks mitsu offered and wish they would offer more, but we can make due with what we have. Sorry if i offended anyone by the placement of their rig class on the roster.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
So I stop by today to pickup lunch, notice a guy laying on a tarp under a famous maker's 4WD SUV. He seemed to have the task well under control, but on my way out, I see this:
IMG_2016-12-06_14-57-57 (640x426).jpg

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Is anyone running rotella t-6 in a gen 3? That's always been my go to oil but I'm not sure in this engine.

Nope, but I do run Rotella T (dino oil, heavy duty diesel spec). It's probably my favorite oil and affordable enough to allow regular oil changes where I don't cringe while draining out the spendy synthetic stuff.

My '01 seems like a typical Gen III: plush & comfy, extremely tough, extremely reliable, and surprisingly competent off the pavement. SabreWife and I took it to Moab after we first got it (second owner, purchased on Ebay), and we pushed it on some pretty aggressive trails in bone-stock configuration. After that trip we figured out what our priorities were for modifying it and I'm so glad that we did, since we didn't waste any money on unnecessary mods. The two biggest things it needed: trimming away most of the Tupperware hanging off it and adding some underbody armor. We've put thousands of overland (off-pavement) miles on it and have challenged ourselves on some gnarly trails that didn't really challenge the vehicle.

New tires, a battery, timing belt, serpentine belt idler pulley, a couple of O2 sensors and the switches on top of the transfer case, new front wheel bearings and a brake accumulator. That's all the work it has needed. No oil leaks, no funny noises, no odd behavior. None of it has been expensive at all, either.

We've overloaded the poor thing terribly and it still performs satisfactorily, though we obviously aren't as fast as a lot of other traffic on the interstate high mountain passes. A little more power would be handy but it's not enough of an issue to even think about.

My teen girls both prefer driving it over my wife's Volvo S60 Turbo (and so do I).

21114732100_b506cdbb80_b.jpg

20679973774_984e5fec79_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94