Off road lights: A confession and a couple of questions...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So after looking through all this, it seems like the GoLight would be my best option. They seem to be on the pricey side, but if they can do what I need a light to do, I'd be willing to pay for it. Since I don't need permanent mounted lights, I'd go with the mag-mount version (which would also give me the flexibility of putting the light on the hood or roof, as I desired.)
Next question would be: Halogen vs. LED? In theory, at least, the LED should draw less power, but I would only be using this when the truck is running so that's not a real issue for me. OTOH, if the LED is more rugged and/or cheaper to replace if the bulb goes out, that would be points in favor of the LED. I'm not crazy about the "color" of LED light (which seems to be a bluish-white as compared to the more yellowish-white of incandescent lights) but I could probably live with it. Is there any reason to prefer one over the other if price is similar?

MOguy

Explorer
So after looking through all this, it seems like the GoLight would be my best option. They seem to be on the pricey side, but if they can do what I need a light to do, I'd be willing to pay for it. Since I don't need permanent mounted lights, I'd go with the mag-mount version (which would also give me the flexibility of putting the light on the hood or roof, as I desired.)
Next question would be: Halogen vs. LED? In theory, at least, the LED should draw less power, but I would only be using this when the truck is running so that's not a real issue for me. OTOH, if the LED is more rugged and/or cheaper to replace if the bulb goes out, that would be points in favor of the LED. I'm not crazy about the "color" of LED light (which seems to be a bluish-white as compared to the more yellowish-white of incandescent lights) but I could probably live with it. Is there any reason to prefer one over the other if price is similar?

Here is an article I had read a while back. LEDs do not produce much heat. If you are in allot of snow that might be an issue?

http://cdllife.com/2014/top-trucking-news/resources/frozen-foggy-led-headlights-advice-drivers/

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
For a utility light such as this LED would probably be my choice. One advantage is the bulbs will not be burned out when you actually need them not to be. That's not to say LED lights never can fail but they are going to be more reliable. Color temperature for something like this is also less important IMO, you're not trying to match headlights I suspect.

The heat issue MOguy mentions is really more for highway lights and that's honestly an actual thing. The heat of the lamps prevents icing over of the lens and the very last thing you ever want to do is to be tempted to rub cold snow on dirty lenses to clean them. Instant crack. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know how I figured that out. But I don't know if LED lights get warm at all so it may not be an issue anymore.

kmlacroix

Explorer
Consumer Reports did n article about factory headlights. Only one vehicle, I believe it was the Grand Cherokee, reached the level of adequate for their tests.

PhulesAU

Explorer
I'll throw in a DYI alternative. ProComp brand "fog" lights with PIAA bulbs. These fluted lenses throw a VERY flat wide beam. mount them bumper high (if possible), when you align them pick a wall about 50' away aim straight out level with the light pattern meeting at the center line of the vehicle. You'll have enough light pattern, that the next step will be Alley lights!

HotNotch

You can never have too much light :bike_rider::smiley_drive: here is the set up on my truck currently. Pretty happy with it. Keep in mind, I've been into maximizing my headlights for a long time. My Mustang and my Truck are retrofitted with Projectors and HID's, done the right way. But anyway, here's the setup. Headlights are 4300K HID's (projectors) nice and wide, even pattern. 2 Hella Ralleye 4000 Pencil Beams converted to HID with 70W Fast Bright Ballast (full brightness very quickly), 4300K bulbs. The Ralleyes are tied into the high beam circuit, and aiming is crucial They have a discernible hotspot at well over 4800 feet away. On the rack is a 42" light bar with amber filters on the flood lenses, and no filter on the spot. 2 48W Led with amber filter on the custom mirror mounts, tied in the with lightbar on a separate switch. The 48W LED's are on a swivel mount so you can aim them as needed, like a spotlight. Then on the back of the rack 2 27w led floods. To most people, this is all overkill. But, I have plenty of width and an overabundance of distance with just the headlights and Hella's. Where I'm at is deer country and I'd like to see wayyy ahead of me when needed. The LED's hardly ever get used on the road, but the trail and the campsite is where they're perfect. Mounted somewhat high they have plenty of distance (for LED's) and the amber makes it easier on the eyes and cuts through rain and snow much better. The rear mounted lights get used all the time. Sooooo handy at night. With the Hella's burning you can't overdrive the light coming out the front.

Rigid Industries has some new lights they call side shooters. They are perfect size for A Pillar or Back of mirror mounting.
http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting?f[0]=field_product_family%3a5574

I have always thought some kind of lighting mounted on all 4 sides of roof rack would be handy. Alley lights, back up lights, camp lights, forward navigation. A short 10-12 inch light bar at the winch could prove useful in a night recovery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior