99-06 Montero Quetions

Storz

Explorer
Howdy. I will be in the market for an SUV in the 6k range in the next few week and had a few questions about the 99-06 Montero. Any major issues to look out for? Have these vehicles aged well? Timing chain or belt? (interval/interference if belt?

Always liked the way they look there are quite a few around within my budget.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Do a bit of reading and then feel free to ask questions, all of this is readily available information if you take the time to look.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Jeep-N-Montero, you are my hero. Thank you for smacking me in the back of the head like this a year ago when I was asking lazy questions. Me and my Montero are the better for it.

Storz

Explorer
Lol I've done quite a bit of research in them and really can't find many bad things. The people that own them seem to love them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jarhead74

Observer
Wanted to give you some feedback. I had an 02 then an 05. We traded in the 02 when the miles got high for the 05. No Issues with the 02. None. The 05 had some oil usage. Got it with 23 miles. Could have been just rings not seated yet. We got rid of it due to more kids and a minivan being a better fit with 3 kids. Now recently, I added a 97 as my commuter vehicle. This would be similar to a 98-00 minus some body differences. My 97 is fun, not as refined as the 02-05 but wanted a 2nd gen for simplicity/ruggedness. Easy to work on. The 97 has 162k miles with a recent upper motor rebuild due to a timing belt failure. The biggest issue I have dealt with was the Cam o rings I changed this weekend, not hard just time consuming with lots of swearing/bleeding from the driver side being a tight Fit. Otherwise, the Monty is solid and runs very strong.

So just depends what you are looking for. We loved the 02-05 Monty and even looked for a low mile unit after the kids got bigger and were ready to move on from a minivan. Ended up with a Armada, but would not hesitate with a Monty that has been cared for with proper maint.

The 02-06 Monty has timing belt. Believe 100k interval. Can't remember on it being interference or not. If you are wiling to tracel, you can find some good deals. I saw recently a Gray 05/06 in Atlanta GA on Autotrader, Doctor owned with full maint history with only 86k miles for a good price. Not sure if still there or where you are at.

Good luck.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
They're all interference engines, all with timing belts. 60,000 mile interval, at least for 99-00, probably the same for 01-06. 99-00 are Gen 2.5, full body-on-frame; 01+ are unibody with four wheel independent suspension instead of having a solid rear axle like the pre-01's did. If you're not going full gung-ho rock crawling, get the newest one with the lowest mileage and the most complete maintenance history you can stomach. The 3.8l V-6 is a great engine (I'm told) and the 5-speed auto is a nice match (again, I'm told).

I'm old and so are my trucks, see signature.

John B.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
They're all interference engines, all with timing belts. 60,000 mile interval, at least for 99-00, probably the same for 01-06. 99-00 are Gen 2.5, full body-on-frame; 01+ are unibody with four wheel independent suspension instead of having a solid rear axle like the pre-01's did. If you're not going full gung-ho rock crawling, get the newest one with the lowest mileage and the most complete maintenance history you can stomach. The 3.8l V-6 is a great engine (I'm told) and the 5-speed auto is a nice match (again, I'm told).

I'm old and so are my trucks, see signature.

John B.
I remember reading that the 3.0 SOHC is the only non-interference of the Monteros (Gen2 LS).

Remember that the rear locker is only available aftermarket on the 2001-newer (around $900 for the ARB).

Had a 95 SR and loved it, and love my current 02, but would suggest the 3.8 (2003-2006) for a better power to weight ratio.

1morebike

Adventurer
Funny I just as in two days ago bought a gen 3 for $6000 . I found one with 138,000 full maintenance and owned by the same couple for 10 years. Most of the threads you read will be me researching. Before this I had 1990 and the gen 3 is crazy new to me. I like all the safety features the gen 3 has and I'm not going rock crawler or anything just fire roads and light off road. Good luck.

Storz

Explorer
Same type of use mine would see. Post some pics of your new one!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior