What's wth those Disco's anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
James - answer this question for me:

Do you want a driving experience that is boring and the same every time or exciting and full of adventurous possibilities?

I think you already know what you need to get...:shakin:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I think with any vehicle it is hit or miss. I wish I had the link to the study as I read it probably 1-2 years ago. It was not JD power, and it was a record of every single required repair over a 10 year period on average, by manufacturer (not model). What I remember is it ranked Lexus highest at about 110 and Land Rover lowest, with Saab (which I also owned several of, love, but largely agree with) as second lowest, both of which I remember at over 400 repairs. This included *everything* including simple little issues, for example if there were an ashtray problem.

I am not saying all Land Rovers are POS. Just the other day I encountered a couple who had over 300K in theirs and pretty much completely trouble free. I am also a Land Rover fan and former owner. But I do consider them to be high maintenance vehicles and this is also why I believe their resale value is so low, and long long before the gas price issue as well.

I hope it helps...

stevenmd said:
James - answer this question for me:

Do you want a driving experience that is boring and the same every time or exciting and full of adventurous possibilities?

I think you already know what you need to get...:shakin:
That depends on if the adventure includes an unexpected long walk :D ...definitely not looking for a high probability of the "Shackleton experience".

I like a feeling of security in my rig, and if I am constantly wondering if something is gonig to go wrong, than the adventures start to loose that sense of fun, instead leaning towards that sense of fear. Don't get me wrong, I like a little excitement, but I also prefer to have a certain amount of confidence in the mechanical abilities of my rig should I decide to boogie out of wherever I'm at.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Every year our rover club ( www.nclrclub.org ) does part of the Oregon Back Country Route... you should join up for part of it next year and see rovers in action, drive a few, etc.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
WhereTheHellIsJames? said:
That depends on if the adventure includes an unexpected long walk :D ...definitely not looking for a high probability of the "Shackleton experience".

I like a feeling of security in my rig, and if I am constantly wondering if something is gonig to go wrong, than the adventures start to loose that sense of fun, instead leaning towards that sense of fear. Don't get me wrong, I like a little excitement, but I also prefer to have a certain amount of confidence in the mechanical abilities of my rig should I decide to boogie out of wherever I'm at.
I understand your thoughts on this. I would have taken my 96 disco anywhere and I would take my 94 RRC anywhere. Here is a good deal: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16155

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I spent 3 months looking for the perfect Discovery II. I did piles of research and inspected every candidate carefully. In the end, I chose a Disco with a blown head gasket, bad brakes, and a water pump with a foot in the grave.:rolleyes:

Point being, you have to be a very well educated buyer to purchase a Disco and not get burned. A lot of these rigs end up on the lot after a mechanic tells an owner, "hey, your head gasket is toast." Most of the bargain Discos hit the lot because the owner didn't want to invest in the repair du jour.

As for owning a Disco or any Rover, I suppose they either speak to you or they don't.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Just buy a Cruiser, all the capability, none of the malady's...

Disco and Rovers in general are really neat trucks, but from an ownership standpoint I just don't see them being a good bargin.

I do however have a huge desire to start a Series Rover project mostly because I love the looks and functionality of the body but would (suprise suprise) use full Toyota running gear for the obvious reasons.

Cheers

Dave

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
These threads are a hoot. Someone always asks about a Landy and by the third reply, someone is chiming in to suggest a Cruiser.

People buy particular vehicles for a variety of reasons; some of those reasons are emotional and to some irrational. What ever. Buy what ever speaks to you and let the rest worry about what THEY want to drive.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
4Rescue said:
I do however have a huge desire to start a Series Rover project mostly because I love the looks and functionality of the body but would (suprise suprise) use full Toyota running gear for the obvious reasons.
I took the liberty to edit the offensive parts out. :littlefriend:

I keed!:elkgrin:

If you are going to run anything bigger than 33's and go rock crawling, yeah, going yota is a good thing. However, Keith's (www.rovertracks.com) axles will add strength to any rover axle. I would feel very comfortable running 33's on my current set up (all Keith's stuff). Is it bomb proof? Nope, but I know how to drive. Most people end up breaking stuff due to their lack of offroad driving skills.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
stevenmd said:
I took the liberty to edit the offensive parts out. :littlefriend:

I keed!:elkgrin:

If you are going to run anything bigger than 33's and go rock crawling, yeah, going yota is a good thing. However, Keith's (www.rovertracks.com) axles will add strength to any rover axle. I would feel very comfortable running 33's on my current set up (all Keith's stuff). Is it bomb proof? Nope, but I know how to drive. Most people end up breaking stuff due to their lack of offroad driving skills.
HAHAHAHAHA... Yeah from my way of thinking, I'd be looking for a real mess of a truck basicly a frame off resto and just do it once and have everything the way I want it.

Honestly if you just don't drive like an -explitive deleted- I'm a fim beliver that you can make almost anything last. I've taken VW's places that some people have told me they broke stuf on their 4x4's going through. Small inputs to the controls of your vehicle make for a safer drive and a happier rig.

Cheers

Dave

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
4Rescue said:
Yeah from my way of thinking, I'd be looking for a real mess of a truck basically a frame off resto and just do it once and have everything the way I want it.
Actually, you are right on in this thought. I wouldn't call it a mess, just a one-off built exactly the way you want it - which is what we are all after, right?:Mechanic:

Michael Slade

Untitled
Flounder said:
These threads are a hoot. Someone always asks about a Landy and by the third reply, someone is chiming in to suggest a Cruiser.

And that person suggesting the Cruiser is usually a former or current Rover owner. Myself included...

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I tell you, I've always wanted a Land Rover. I have loved my Land Cruisers no doubt but always wanted a foray in the Rovers. I came really close to picking up a Range Rover Classic and a Disco I before pulling the trigger on my 80. The idea of either Rover had me dreaming at night, not so much with the 80 but what sealed the deal was the fact that I really don't like wrenching so much as using my rig and frankly I was worried I'd be spending alot of time monkeying around that I could be using to go out and play. This was based purely off hearsay and having owned the 80 I've had plenty of issues I've had to deal with a few of which were annoying electronic related breakdowns. I think no matter what, any rig you run off the pavement, you are going to have upkeep and repair issues no matter how good of an image is does or doesn't have.

superpowerdave

Adventurer
A lot has already been said, and I think all of them are great points. I'm obviously a fan, but I do think there is a lot of wisdom in some of these guys who have had Rovers before and are suggesting something different ... but on the other side of the coin, they could have also had the bad apples folks have already mentioned. Either or, definitely take those opinions into account.

Can an old DI be a great trail rig? You bet. Can it suck? Sure, but so can anything else you're looking to get into for less than five grand. Seriously, try finding a TLC of the same year for less than five in the same condition and I think you'll be left wanting - they hold their value much better than a Disco.

Differences between the DI and the DII - not a lot. The DI shares parts with the D90 and the RRC, both of which are wheeled heavily and you can't throw a rock without hitting some guy parting out an RRC or a DI. Not so much with the DII who only shares a few parts with the P38, which are hardly ever seen off-road ... my wife excluded of course :) The DII also has a huge rear-end which can be a nuisance, but it offers more space for cargo. Another huge point though is that the DI has been seen as a platform for aftermarket part suppliers for years - the DII is harder to find HD parts for.

Personally I think you should find a Series truck ... but that's just the black and silver in me talking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles