What's wth those Disco's anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So looking through Craigslist for Land Cruisers, I've noticed a lot of Land Rover's... mostly Discovery's. I've also noticed that the Land Rover Discoveries seem to depreciate pretty rapidly... is there a reason for this? I've never really considered one, but if the shoe fits...

Are Discovery's just problems waiting to happen? I was speaking to a friend this morning, and he told me to forget about Land Rovers... no good... always broken, etc. Is there any validity to his claims?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
oh geez, here we go down this trail again. (I say that sarcastically and light heartedly). Rovers are all about scheduled and preventative maintenance. The things that break on other vehicles never break on rovers and the things that never break on other vehicles always break on rovers. it truly is a love/hate relationship with the key word: relationship. The electronics suck big time. But rover did make a few things bullet proof, like their transfer cases and salsbury axles. Stock vs. stock, nothing compares to what they can do. They really are/were the most traveled vehicles on the planet. I will always own and drive a rover. I have had a rover as my DD for over 6 years now. Rarely has it failed me and it was always an easy fix.

My advice? Run away. Once Lucas gets a hold of you, you're toast. Seriously. I'm not joking. I didn't understand it until I had one. Now I'm hooked. It courses through my veins. I now bleed green. Hopefully, one day, I'll bleed black too - only real roverphiles will understand that one.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
oh, and be prepared for a heated debate as rover owners tend to be an emotional bunch when it comes to our marque...:sport_box

bovw

Explorer
stevenmd said:
oh, and be prepared for a heated debate as rover owners tend to be an emotional bunch when it comes to our marque...:sport_box
Heated debate? Who can argue with your logic, it's absolutely true.:)

TeriAnn

Explorer
stevenmd said:
Rovers are all about scheduled and preventative maintenance.

Take this statement to heart for it defines the difference between a good running Land Rover and one that is iffy to the mall and back.

stevenmd said:
The electronics suck big time.

And that is a legitimate reason to stay away from US spec V8 coil spring Land Rovers. Well that plus they mostly get around 11 to 13 MPG on premium, the V8 often needs at least a top end if not a complete rebuild well before 200K miles, Parts are VERY VERY expensive for them, And coiler tie rods sit way too low (which is why a steering guard is often one of the first mods they get).

stevenmd said:
But rover did make a few things bullet proof, like their transfer cases and salsbury axles.

A Series transfercase is one of the strongest out there under a 4X4. Now that a couple people are making adapters to go between an NP435 and Series transfer case, owners of Dana 18 transfercases or older Land Cruiser transfer cases shold give the Series Transfercase a good look.

The Salisbury is a Dana 60 built in the UK under license. Rear Salisbury axles were standard under Series III 109s, the Stage 1 and Defender 110s through 1993 (The US spec D110 had them). The weakest point is the 24 spline axles which almost never break. 30 spline axles can be added without work and with a little machining of the stub axle tubes 35's could be made to fit. A front Salisbury was used on the Series III One Ton and the Defender high capacity pickup. Salisburys with stronger axles & tubes were also used on the 101 forward control and a couple military variants.

I have been told that the standard Rover diff is about strength equivalent of a Dana 44, but the 10 spline axle fitted to them is very weak.

stevenmd said:
My advice? Run away. Once Lucas gets a hold of you, you're toast. Seriously. I'm not joking. I didn't understand it until I had one.

:iagree: But likely for somewhat different reasons. Their value has tanked for several very good reasons. Range Rovers & Discos for the mid '90's go from 1-3K more often than not. A 40 year old Series goes in the neighborhood of 5-8 K in OK driver condition. Mid '90's D90s seem to start at around 26K and go up from there. There's good reasons for all that.

stevenmd said:
I now bleed green. Hopefully, one day, I'll bleed black too - only real roverphiles will understand that one.

And when you get rid of that ikky green & gold stuff and start bleeding black and silver you will be welcomed into the union of true Land Rover owners. :)

seriesI_logo.jpg

Last edited:

Green96D1

Explorer
WhereTheHellIsJames? said:
Are Discovery's just problems waiting to happen? Any vehicle that doesn't receive the proper attention is a bomb waiting to off. To anwser your question no discoveries are not problems waiting to happen if fact they are some of the best built 4x4's around they just require more attention than some vehicles however they are straightforward vehicles.

I was speaking to a friend this morning, and he told me to forget about Land Rovers... no good... always broken, etc

Does your friend have one? Because it's one thing to say something about a vehicle and not know anything about them. If your really interested in one take one for a test drive and then see how you feel afterwards.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
TeriAnn said:
And when you get rid of that ikky green & gold stuff and start bleeding black and silver you will be welcomed into the union of true Land Rover owners. :)

seriesI_logo.jpg
I knew you'd understand.:bike_rider:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
If you look at those vehicles (Discos or RRCs) as a basic form from which to build you desired vehicle, there's a lot to like. Solid axles, 3rd members, coil springs, body on frame design, superior visibility and interior space... It's quite a potent package. The economy, premium fuel, electronics (to some degree), and other issues are downsides for sure, but most vehicles of that age are starting to show their weaknesses- some worse than others.

There are a ton of Discos out there that never saw more than a rain-slick road and got nothing but periodic dealer maintenance. That's how the rich people roll. Do your research, find one like that, run it 'til the V-8 dies, and then start looking for ways to make the vehicle better. The bones of a great expedition rig are hiding under most NAS Land Rovers.

RonL

Adventurer
I own a 1997 Discovery, my friend owns a 1996 LC FZJ80. People always compare the two, and say that the Disco is not worth as much as the LC. But lets look at the "sticker price" compared to current used prices.
1997 Discovery was $33,000
1996 Land Crusier was $53,000
I bought mine for $8,000 used.
His was $11,000 used.
Yes LC are worth more used but they are worth a lot more new. I would hope $20000 more would give me more realiablity then a Disco.

AS for there being more Disco then LC for sale, 4 times more Disco were made then LC in a given year(20,000 vs. 5,000).

With that said, I love my Disco and it has been a great SUV for me.

sven

Adventurer
WhereTheHellIsJames? said:
I've also noticed that the Land Rover Discoveries seem to depreciate pretty rapidly... is there a reason for this?

Um yeah, high gas prices. Its not just LRs, but all SUVs are worthless these days.

boblynch

Adventurer
Everyone has covered the big LR topics. The other thing that impacts the used LR price is basic supply and demand. There are many many more mall creatures running from V8 SUVs than folks looking to buy one (even if it makes an excellent starting platform).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles