Need spare tire advice

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
factory location.... i've been told no, it won't fit under bed. i forgot what the max size was. i even asked if it could be aired down and compressed somewhat to fit. nope
You're asking someone else if it will fit? :confused: Why not check for yourself? Or is it that you haven't gone to 37's yet and you're thinking of going to 37s?
In any case, if a 37 won't fit in the factory location, would a 35 fit, and if so, why not just run that? A spare is only needed to get you to the place where you can get your tire repaired. Unless you have some sophisticated AWD system, having a slightly smaller spare shouldn't cause any serious problems.
You're going to have to compromise somewhere, either carry less gear so you can carry it in the bed, put it on the roof and deal with the potential for damage or injury if/when you try to take it down, find some way to attach it to the trailer, or just do without a spare.
There's no "perfect" option but IMO a slightly smaller spare in the factory location would be the "least bad" of all the available ones.

bijanjames

Adventurer
IMG_4763.jpg

I run two full size spares, one underneath in the factory holding and one on the back. Also incorporate a six tire rotation. I don't haul the one underneath around all the time, just when we go on trips. My tires are a 255/85r16 and weigh close to 100lb. I couldn't imagine getting a 37" on the roof!

Betarocker

Adventurer
255/85r16 is only a 33" diameter. There would be something seriously wrong if you couldn't get that to fit underneath.

The 37" would fit underneath if the exhaust was terminated ahead of the axle. As it is, the 37 would be tight against the exhaust, and that pipe gets seriously hot during regen of the DPF.

taliv

Observer
Maybe you just need a good plug kit and a compressor.

definitely. and will have that installed next week. i'll probably run without a spare for a while, but will also limit how far away from civilization i get too

also, martinjmpr, no i don't have the 37s yet. they'll be installed next week. i have 33" factory tires now, and the ram dealer was the one who told me 37 wouldn't fit, but who knows. it might be an option when i do the deletes, but that will be probably a year or so

Wirebrush

Observer
I built a custom swing out carrier for my 2016 Ram Power Wagon when I went to 37s. I'll try to post a couple pics a little later. I built it to fit in the class 5 receiver hitch and still allow a standard class 3 hitch insert to be used.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
also, martinjmpr, no i don't have the 37s yet. they'll be installed next week. i have 33" factory tires now, and the ram dealer was the one who told me 37 wouldn't fit, but who knows. it might be an option when i do the deletes, but that will be probably a year or so
Well, IMO an undersized spare is still better than no spare. Kind of like those crappy little "emergency" spare tires that cars come with nowadays. It's not a perfect solution but if the choice is go with an undersized spare or no spare at all, I'd go with the undersized. That might at least get you to a paved road where you can call a tow truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I built a custom swing out carrier for my 2016 Ram Power Wagon when I went to 37s. I'll try to post a couple pics a little later. I built it to fit in the class 5 receiver hitch and still allow a standard class 3 hitch insert to be used.

The wilco tire gate is a hitch setup that allows towing also. I simply rigged up a hand truck with a receiver bar to truck the whole kit to the shed. Only time I had the tire carrier and spare was on road trips. Easy peasy

STREGA

Explorer
Looking at the Wilco Solo for my truck, if it will clear my built in folding steps when they are extended will probably get it. Cab/chassis don't have enough space between the frame rails for a spare.

Stryder106

Explorer
Check out the A to Z Fabrication Builders kit with the Mega Spindle. $139 bucks with shipping. One enroute for this guy. Interested in how people set up their swing outs as well.

https://atozfabrication.com/tire-carrier-swingout-builder-s-kit.html

Here's how I did my dual swing out with 35" tire, Hi-Lift mount, fire extinguisher (pics are pre-install), and 9 gals of fuel. All 1.75" DOM tubing with 1000# pivots.

35" Tire - All Pro Offroad Rotopax Mount
New Tires 8.jpg

G0331522.jpg

G0321521.jpg

G0341523.jpg

This is my stock spare

G0351524.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne