'95 Crank Positioning Sensor. Difficult to change?

jeremysbrown

So I've got my eyes on a 95 Montero LS (price is right. 5 speed, nice) and the seller tells me it needs a new crankshaft positioning sensor. Fair enough, cheap part, seems like a common-ish problem. Looking around though, i'm having a tough time figuring out how much of a job it is to change out. anyone have a procedure they'd like to share - what needs to get moved out of the way etc? kind of in a tricky situation, would love to be able to bring the part and install on the spot since it's a little ways from home and would love to avoid trailering it.

any advice or direction would be great.

first post, long time lurker. thanks.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
It is not easy. I would call it a 7 on a scale to 10, 10 being something for actual mechanics only. However, if you can do the timing belt, you can do the crank sensor. This Montero Sport video had been very helpful: https://youtu.be/vunvsjph9Yk (music is a little off-putting). The AC compressor removal wasn't obvious. You have to go in through the fender well with long extensions on swivel joints to get those bolts.

I received some good help on Page 3 of this thread on how to pull off the crank pulley:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/158751-Engine-help-needed-3-5L-SOHC-1998-Gen-2-5/page3

Hopefully your sensor won't look like this when you pull it out:

CA_07041618422214-X3.jpg

RyanY

Adventurer
If you're replacing the crank sensor then you might as well replace the timing belt and all the associated parts that go along with a timing belt service, since that all has to come off in order to access the sensor.

jeremysbrown

thanks for the replies. pretty much what i was afraid of. think it's beyond my scope. again, not my truck yet. was thinking about ditching the whole idea but the guy's dropped his price. at this point it might be worth getting it towed and fixed, or just trailering it home where i can get a hand with it. eiither way, think i might get it inspected before i spend any time or money on it since it's far from home and it seems like the current owner hasn't driven it since taking it on as a project.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
If you're replacing the crank sensor then you might as well replace the timing belt and all the associated parts that go along with a timing belt service, since that all has to come off in order to access the sensor.

I was able to do mine without removing anything related to the timing belt. I dont remember every detail but I know I didn't get into anything in that department.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles