98 4Runner Price

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I may go look at a '98 4Runner later this week. (Assuming it's still there, I'm in no hurry...sort of an if it's supposed to work out it will be there kind of deals. If it's not I won't be too sad.) I actually have already seen it in person, dealer wasn't around so I just walked around it. At the time I was focusing on newer and lower miles vehicles, and a commuter vehicle not another 4x4, but sort of came back to thinking about it.

Kinda on the fence about it, I want a second vehicle just to drive to work (well, 70 miles a day 3-4 times a week) and have as a backup in case my main vehicle needs to stay put a few days, but I don't need another 4x4. But if I'm going to buy something for around $5000, why not...I love 4x4s. Mostly interested in this because of their reputation for reliability. I probably wouldn't even think of buying a vehicle that old or with that many miles if it didn't have a reputation for a long life. But it's one of the few vehicles I've run across that is both under $8000k and I actually like the looks of, so maybe I will give it a closer look. And it's local.

For it's age it looks nice. Good paint job still, all stock, unmodified, it doesn't look like a "beater." Interior shows it's age but not nasty or anything. Seats were in good shape. (Cloth not leather.)

SR5 trim
It has 185,000 miles
4 speed auto
4x4

Can't tell if it has the locker from photos, and I didn't know to look for one when I casually walked around it a while back. The button area is obscured. I'm assuming not. (Not a big concern for me, would be cool if it did though.)

Small time dealer has $6300 listed.

I think that is kinda high, Edmond's suggests $3900 or so dealer retail. I do realize there is a bit of a premium on 4x4s, and Toyota's in particular, so I'm thinking $4500-$5000 or so might fall into a reasonable territory. But then I don't know what these are going for. I might get laughed at for offering $1800 under sticker, so I guess I'm here to ask if that's unfair.

It has a Carfax record of seeming regular maintenance by the first, and seemingly only actual owner, designated as corporate. Water pump has been replaced twice, once at 50k and again at 150k. New timing belt at 150k or so, new O2 sensor, and valve cover gaskets twice (50k and 160k.) All of that sounds sort of typical, except I don't get 2 water pumps and gaskets. Makes me think either reoccurring problem, or could be just a tendency to seep and given all the other maintenance a good sign of a diligent owner. I'd rather see stuff being replaced than not.

It lists a second owner but under that history it looks like it's just been bouncing around dealers for the last 6 months. 3 separate dealers took possession of title not counting whoever transferred the title from the original owner. That actually kinda seems fishy. It's picked up 4000 miles but doesn't seem to have been owned by anyone in that time....but could be nothing.

Thanks for any thoughts. Always had a fondness for Toyota's, kinda surprised myself actually thinking of getting one. (Probably be smarter to get some little 4 cyl, 2wd, pickup, but what fun would that be.....)

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Check the rear seals to see if they are leaking. Some typical signs would be grease spitting on the drums or inside of the wheels. Check the CVs, be sure to engage 4wd and make sure it functions (all though i've seen a couple of 90s yotas that didn't engage simply to sticky actuators) Since it has bounced around for a bit at dealers maybe you can play that to your advantage. I'm assuming you'll have to pay tax title and license on top of price being a dealer sold rig. See if you can get it for maybe 6k out the door. That's only asking a discount of ~900-1k. They seem to pull in a premium over what most blue book values state them at.

Timing belt/water pump is due to be changed every 100k. Unsure of why they did the initial water pump at 50k (could have been some type of failure) but I wouldn't hesitate about the second one being done with the t-belt as its right there anyways and typical to do both together.

I also wouldn't be overly concerned about miles on it. I've owned toyotas with the same drivetrain over 230k miles that ran just as good as my current 4runner with 140k.

You could do far worse for a backup to your xterra. These things just eat up the trails for sure. I doubt it has a locker, most of em seem to be on the limited models. Not a big deal though for a commuter.

I don't know how mountainous your terrain is, but commuting and lack of power or gas mileage may leave a bit to be desired with that many miles to commute. But the things are stupid simple to work on, dead reliable, and solidly built.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Thanks, that gives me a ballpark to work with. I've been comparing prices on similar vehicles, but most have well over 200k so not really a fair comparison. Given the field to choose from 185k seems like low miles for a 3rd gen.

I don't know how mountainous your terrain is, but commuting and lack of power or gas mileage may leave a bit to be desired with that many miles to commute.

It's hilly here but long or steep grades are not common. (Altitude varies only about 200ft or so locally.) I'll probably notice the power hit over what I'm used to, but the feel of an automatic instead of a manual will probably annoy me more. (I've only owned stick shifts thus far.) The vehicle I had prior to the Xterra was a 4 cyl, I tolerated it well enough. Given I'm looking for a secondary vehicle I don't want what I end up with to be too nice, got to have some reason to want to drive the Xterra.

I've been seeing claims of around 18mpg out of the 3rd Gen 4Runners, if that holds true it will possibly use less gas than I'm burning now. Not much less though. Economy is nice, but to me it's not worth it to drive something tiny. I'm over 6ft tall and even midsize vehicles can be cramped. I'm waiting to see if a 4Runner is going to be roomy enough.

But the things are stupid simple to work on, dead reliable, and solidly built.

I like the sound of that. That's what I've been reading other places as well and a big reason I've been warming to the idea of the older 4Runner over some random newer vehicle with lower miles. If something breaks, I just want to fix it myself. At least with these there should be plenty of info available to fix them and I don't mind a little wrenching sometimes. Around here you are better off fixing it yourself because just finding a mechanic to do it and not screw it up is work all it's own.

I've seen how those Toyota's just keep going, my parents have an early model Tundra with over 260k on it being driven daily. The Tundra is a bit large for my taste, but I do like the vehicle a lot. (That 4.7L V8 is awesome.)

Truth be told, I kinda wanted to find a 100 series Land Cruiser with some of those luxury creature comforts, but it's more extravagant than I need.

Wisco

Observer
I think if you could get it for around the $5k mark you'd be doing well.

I spent almost that much on my '97 with 230k on it. Mines a 3.4L/5 speed though, so that was worth the little extra to me versus some comparables in my area.

That price seems high to me.

I bought my 99 limited with 250k, auto/4x4 for 3500. Granted we are in different areas, that seems like a steep increase. The interior of mine is in outstanding condition and everything works as it should, including the locker. The outside has some clear coat peeling. After a tune up and before lift and tires I averaged roughly 18-19 on the highway, which I thought was great for an SUV with a V6 and a quarter million miles. I have not regretted buying my 4runner. Even after lift and 33's it still manages 17mpg! Unless you just love that one, I'd probably keep looking. All said and done in mine I have almost $7k into it, including purchase.

When I got it:

14433196_10157501696655427_7260102247641112967_n.jpg

14445934_10157501695250427_8378256994005935552_n.jpg

And now:

15326330_10157867085480427_1849656397714474689_n.jpg

15220180_10157867085425427_2377407853965723052_n.jpg

15267917_10157867085250427_6254088942357244942_n.jpg

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Thanks.

Between what you guys are saying and the prices I'm looking at online, and KBB, Edmonds, I'm kinda coming around to a figure.

I'm settling about where Wisco said, anything over $5000 OTD I'm probably not going to be interested at all. Given it's still under 200k I'll allow some premium, but over $6k is looking extravagant. Given I never price anything I sell at what I'll actually take for it, I'll give them a chance. I'm sure they would love if someone walked up and wanted to pay sticker, and knowing some of the idiots around here I bet it happens for them more than I'd care to know.

I guess I'm fortunate I'm under no pressure to get this vehicle, so I got time to haggle.

I'll go look at it regardless, If anything just to get a feel for the 3rd gen before I spend too much effort shopping. I generally like to pin down the make/model vehicle I want and go from there. If I like it, even if I don't get this particular one, I will be watching for them.

Since this one I'm looking at has been bouncing around dealers, I'm in no hurry to buy, and it's getting close to the end of the year, I may be able to push hard on price. I got nothing to loose, it's a secondary vehicle. I can shoot an offer and walk off the lot. I have no desire to screw the dealer but I don't want to be screwed myself. If they really want to get it off the lot, I'll give them an option. But if somebody comes along and wants to shell out more than me, well it's all theirs.

I'm planning to go look tomorrow mid morning. I haven't even called to see if they still have it, don't want them to think I'm anxious, or go start the thing before I get there and warm it up. It's supposed to be like 20-somthing degrees and I want to know if it runs well in the winter.

Oh, and Renegade_Medic, is that plastidip or paint. Looks great!

Last edited:
Thanks, it's actually just rattle can khaki camo paint with satin clear coat over it. Been waiting on weather to cooperate and doing bumpers and fenders black. Good luck!

pauldubster

The number 1 weakness with the 3rd gen 4Runners is the tranny cooler. The cooler corrodes and coolant gets forced into the tranny and the tranny dies soon after. If you can't determine that the radiator has been replaced previously, that would be the first thing to do. You should take a look at the tranny dipstick to check that the fluid is red instead of looking like a strawberry milkshake.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Well I got back from...well, not.....looking at this 4runner.

Didn't see it on the lot, went in to ask if it sold out of curiosity. Nope, it's in the shop.....what every buyer wants to hear.

Didn't sound like a big deal, said an axle bearing is being replaced, it was making noise. (Probably scaring off buyers.) MaverickTRD already mentioned checking the seals, sounds like they found it first.

They told me the water pump and t-stat were replaced as well. I didn't press too hard but the Carfax had it being replaced at 150k, and they are doing it again at 185k? Weird. This thing likes water pumps? Or is he not telling me about strawberry milkshake? I almost doubt that because more would have been replaced and I think he would have bragged on it.

Maybe he was trying to take credit for the earlier one, hmm.

I didn't ask but he volunteered a slightly lower asking price than posted online at $5999. I don't care to talk money until I'm sure I want it and I won't know that until I look it over and drive it.

He doesn't think he will get it back on the lot until Monday, it's a small lot they don't do their own repair work. (And like it that way I was told, okay, I get that but don't know why it was important...) and I work long hours until next Friday so I told him no chance me coming back before then.

My gut tells me this is going nowhere, and I'm not going to go out of my way to fool with them. But I would like to actually drive the thing to see if it's comfortable and I should keep looking for a 3rd gen 4runner.

The number 1 weakness with the 3rd gen 4Runners is the tranny cooler. The cooler corrodes and coolant gets forced into the tranny and the tranny dies soon after. If you can't determine that the radiator has been replaced previously, that would be the first thing to do. You should take a look at the tranny dipstick to check that the fluid is red instead of looking like a strawberry milkshake.

Thanks. I am somewhat familiar with that and will check for it. Ironically this is also the main weakness in 2005-2007 auto trans Xterras. (Mine is a manual so no worries....) So I've heard a lot about that problem and ways to prevent it. (Replace radiator and/or add an external trans cooler.)

On mine, a good chunk of the money I spent after purchasing it was on maintenence items, like the radiator. I opted to forego using the transmission cooler portion of the radiator a installed a trans cooler I had laying around. If the thermostat and pump were replaced, hopefully they put a new timing belt on. I went OEM on all my parts, mine were stock and all made it to 249k. Not bad, lol. Lower ball joints are a weak area, as are the rear axle seals/bearings. If you are handy, it will save a lot of money. My total cost was just under $220 for my rear seal and bearing to be done (one side for now). Depending on how you plan to use and modify it, you may find a vibration issue after lifting about 3 inches, at least in my particular vehicle.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Thanks everyone for the input. Here is the rest of the story.

Finally got to look at this thing closer. Most likely not going to get this one...

It ran good. Didn't start at first but that was a battery issue. Once the booster was on it it hit right off.

It drove well. Typical for a vehicle that age but nothing unacceptable. A little gutless but I drive a vehicle with 260hp and a manual transmission daily, most everything short of a V8 feels gutless to me.

Shifting was smooth, I had to kinda push down the throttle a bit aggressive just to tell when it shifted. Coolant was clear and green, no immediate indication of strawberry milkshake.

Cabin was a little tight for me. But not to the point I wouldn't drive it.

Here is the deal killer:

L4D35nayH-Hb6Ds3x3ALgvzXXdScf-P_EQyOTQjrZAH4-IdYFZ9Q0AVecixGTJSa5QewZF34KuXkh9Iri4T_ptcZAbIv-BHDcN6CFWrA2dXsMpNs8SDP60AwzGyXWo4kzsYbb9sDhsoIUE2A6BQpXT0i5CYRqTPP3eqFIRDnjTGgLCXrvMKECdOxIP2OnZf_vEQXknDRc5g4iiaQE2pMlitVIL43o9Jw8PGgnBlJXvRp4PGLwu4_DimQg_ZFw1KUNvIGzeA6CwIcL7iqQ4K9s-8z2fn2ftw-dfxZPGPwsGUjTEh4jPcSIcO031JzO1hRIFlZhsNbuRKaaEtzR5uHDcBfCKpLXO-D835-0LU0oHaHm2YOr2kHapV4e9H5SSOwZxn5OCbQt-yp2zEbqxuxvpGlXJxojkqiXxrVHum8bsx4hQAENINJ2I9D9Yyh1ANdmRTosUlGYfx_yL0hl-cpx3hZ8cJvFuQiNNnIzNXXB6cXIl3NOSdbO10uH40YOd5gdQ9tsaIjXJdF0iaYRmIuhPx96GL2kXbI2ixjgmT7Nx2XlFrGE1iVRwarsOfsu56Y_CdKlQwOUFxT_H5Vg-63AwbJe-YHyW1T8etCt2oS-VhRhNYAUFSV=w1263-h947-no

CdZegqBtT9AkiBeC_ywRz_XFEyiFgVgiL6a7z37zaMidnIXaFwtp1xV3jD5zzl_lWI2LdSrseJDx-tEF2QVQ2t8dqimR5YQuHf1vt4_MKgvWBk5ysCXsaoykFm4Hp-hFKzGvlcM-gXNXpXXFG68CEJczC_FdfoOkGAwUDVNjDlsLu15LzD87gwnqQIpmHKM_UIF2CUHfljWpw7hPpCmH_SiRTCU3E_ORFgGMWmd6rnT8EE6q4s2Q6DkBZGhI4rrxTr6dhYfKng-fIustsIdbDp9QCwCzeWw7LojnmHJUPFoENkUTJ577lQyLYpH8yrLyT3YL43U8_W9aRKq7zhNJWgAUUmujlmJeRASTbW-8_axm_TRppL1yVJM7jOS3eeiY_ewqPvU25zxFOncs6gJgzL-oTj9wCUNAdSJ4q_Y3RsGzuwb7ndUF7Bv976dlwnn6Vi6PLnTpZ3IWEpFX5yTrXNBhprlDvZn43f9A1OYGyOZP9otTL64OAw2AvjY6NrbWKkjwBG0mDocnycm3aP-ga2KEz6OAPUs1i8glpypBSBRDNMwLtMn3BP58MKB0rZUyOaau-0Dj99vKbt2knMraHdavl44lP1GXAL4oZ9XF-eS29VnrA8f5=w1263-h947-no

The frame was mush. Front and back. I heard this was a potential issue, and this one has it.

Dealer played shocked when I said that was the reason I wasn't going to talk money with him. Said he will "get it patched" and I was polite but I think it's way past that. My '70 Bronco needs a "patch" but overall it's frame is in much better shape than this. You can patch it but rust is cancer, it's set in good and it's what I can't see right off that bothers me more than what is visible.

Otherwise, I think I like the 3rd Gen 4Runner. I'm going to keep looking. I don't really want another project at the moment, but I see it being a lot of fun to modify for off road.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea to walk. Can't see the pictures, but frame rot is frame rot. Also, from my understanding it shouldn't have green coolant. It needs red jap coolant (I used pentafrost).
Yes to your assessment of power. They seem to have good power from idle-2500 and 4000+. I can't imagine this engine in a truck (T100). I was initially disappointed with the power, my DD is an F250 with a mildly worked over 460. Wife has a tuned Ecoboost F150 that puts nearly 500 lb-ft to the wheels. To say the 3.4 is gutless is an accurate assessment to me. On the other hand, I drive it much more conservatively, and I manage decent gas mileage out of mine. I still get 17-18 MPG in it. The F150 gets about that (on 93 octane) and the 460 proudly nets me 11mpg, regardless of driving style. So the gutless 3.4 isn't all bad. I couldn't imagine a 4 banger in a 4runner. No thank you. Try looking for a limited, mine has 4.30 gears which makes it more bearable.

And yes they are a little small inside. I'm 5'7" and it's a tight fit. Hip area is narrow. Wife and I slept in it one night and took it on a 5 hour each way trip, it was comfortable after the lift and Bilstein shocks. The factory shocks and springs basically rode on the bumps tops, it was very uncomfortable.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Found another possible, just showed up locally:

4x4
AT
Limited
No locking diff (didn't see a button)
239,000 miles.

Leather unfortunately, kinda wore worse than cloth but not awful. It was raining at the time so I didn't crawl under to see if it still had a frame...

Listed at $4995, a good deal lower than the other.

Might stop after work and give it a looking over now. It's not raining today so I might can crawl under without getting both cold and wet.

5vj6fw4t08O7lWirUM6n8zUOo6y8cuni6AmcmxMBTsI1M-b6VeCdQD3iF_7BBnlw2Kmid7mL1IYjiPn4S4yUINx8ctQe4AaQikcc-iMYe6qiqWiRUQu7ZGMZiRdNYD7IaCHlH3HFjOazGCtbeo_5QonknaCtNLPL22iJuNYfeGqpTgNKMHE53fmjhksYajvkksWhSis8AN5tDyZVfcTnbzWAN9Gg5N8vWhVQYrcDhCZyq_VR8UnQ2vv4oUiYpKjGGb0Jbx8Aow7T_yOTMWHBjueWIMlkeqgpktrJJU2raCarkuNyfgSZnl5pLH1_Fmku5Asb0t-tW8eBvHQvj4pXhpoobG2LFhr5r3z2X_x-M5qCJ8DzJkaPIsrTNBo9IT8J11Rdd3vacIT1To3Df0AtSmKZSoHguLpPDe2mL2x-Nzz-ubtOrtYz5d87OePHbBJHI86Arpb_VJhvwohceXMHMkbLD6xPmzklLlMYsnEuMDvPChyJwr5PSkP8ZdvhUAmQwZLMQYUX7e6tfqm6ExAGP0cmhXx679DXrSFvUakVQ3caTXaYSZAlbhjHoiddqSWNRo7X7kvqLYNETU04IjyhF56ZWGvnk0IDBbS0hOzvwurLOE9g=w1570-h883-no

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne