ABS Engel 40

Ron B

Explorer
hi all
Maybe I'm behind here but I was wondering if anyone has seen/used the new (new to me at least) Engel 40 in person. It's pretty close to the dimensions/capacities of the 45 and the same price as the 35. It's not compatable with the slide-lock so it might have to be strapped down?

here are a few pics of it...it's sitting next to a 45 for comparison

many more pictures on this page after the specs:
https://www.expeditionexchange.com/engel/

Last edited:

Ron B

Explorer
darn, did a quick search and didn't see the 40 in any titles. The 35's size will probably suit me better than the 45, but just came across the 40 today while drooling over stuff at Exped Exchange.

Let us know how you like it! Thanks for the links

rb

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Ron B said:
darn, did a quick search and didn't see the 40 in any titles. The 35's size will probably suit me better than the 45, but just came across the 40 today while drooling over stuff at Exped Exchange.

Let us know how you like it! Thanks for the links

rb

Will do, I know the gents at Adventure Trailers have been playing with them already. Martin or Mario might be worth a call if your getting close to pulling the trigger as they likely have more experience than anyone at this point with the MR040.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
We have had our hands on many of them. I personally prefer the the MT-35 or MT-45 over the MR040.

Why?

1.) Both the MT models offer a basket. This is small but it also provides a small amount of protection to the internals of the fridge.

2.) The metal is more ruggid and is tried and true than the platics. Some may worry about rusting and longevity of the metal... There's pics floating around of a 20+ year old Engel that was used in a salt water sail boat... I think that's proof enough for me that it will last. The MR040 has plastic handles too.

3.) Weight... ok although the MR040 weighs 48lbs compared to the 52.9 lbs of the MT-45 I prefer the durability of metal over plastics.

4.) The MR040 has a neat feature allowing you to change how the lid opens ( to the right or left, however the latches are plastic and not metal like the MT models. We had a few customers hinges break during shipping on the MR040 units.

My conclusion is that the MR040 is a nice quality fridge, but for overland use the MT models take the cake. If you decide that the MR040 is for you then that's the right model, but for me I'll stick to my MT-45 and keep trying to convince FlyingWen to get a MT-35 in the KJ instead of taking the Taco because I have a fridge. LOL.

Well I don't want to completely bash the MR040 fridge as it a real nice unit so don't see the above as bashing, just my opinions and how it fits my style of overlanding. Below is some cool pro's that I am jealous of and wish my MT-45 had are:
1.) Storage compartment under the lid (good for cords, etc,)
2.) Slick opening of the lid, more cooler like.
3.) Lid limiting strap (for lack of better wording at 1:00am)
4.) Where the controls are... The controls are just mounted in a slick spot making it easy to adjust and still get in the fridge at the same time. It would work great on my slide!
5.) Its a sexy looking unit. I like the looks much better even the transit bag is more stylish.

Bottom line is knowing what you need to select the right one for you and your needs. Like Kurt mentioned above you can contact him, or feel free to contact us at Sierra Expeditions using the contact us page for more info on the fridges.

Hope that helps some.

1speed

Explorer
I've had this fridge for about a month now. While I haven't been off roading yet, it is in the Jeep.http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15351&page=2 , post #18. It sure is nice having ice cold drinks right over your shoulder. The latches are a weak point, mine were broken in shipping too. I e-mailed Martyn and they were replaced very quickly. I plan on building a storage sytem in the back of the Jeep and the side opening configuration lent itself better to my plans.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
cruiseroutfit said:
Will do, I know the gents at Adventure Trailers have been playing with them already. Martin or Mario might be worth a call if your getting close to pulling the trigger as they likely have more experience than anyone at this point with the MR040.

AT does extensive in depth testing on all new products we carry. We have been testing the Engel 40 fridge 24/7 for 3 weeks now. I agree with all the physical and cosmetic comments on the fridge already made in the thread.

I would add that the fridge is a little nosier than the 35 and 45 models, the compressor seems to resonate inside the ABS shell. Not an issue if you are vehicle mounting it, an issue if you are sleeping in the same space as the fridge. There may be some way to isolate the compressor from the shell, but we haven’t taken the fridge apart yet to see if it’s practical.

The 40 uses the same compressor as the 35 and 45 yet it draws 3.4 amp when the compressor is running. This is more than the 35 or 45. However over a 24 hour time period it draws the same as a 35 or 45. No definitive answers yet, but we suspect that due to the increased insulation the compressor is cycling less.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:wings: Yea Martyn, I'm still up for the Engel 45, to be shipped out on 7-18-08, unless you get one before the 11th, I'll be gone in your old stomping grounds, from the 16th thru the 19th and I'd like to be here when the fridge shows up

thanx

:gunt: JIMBO

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
JIMBO said:
:wings: Yea Martyn, I'm still up for the Engel 45, to be shipped out on 7-18-08, unless you get one before the 11th, I'll be gone in your old stomping grounds, from the 16th thru the 19th and I'd like to be here when the fridge shows up

thanx

Jim we are waiting for Engel to get new stock and ship out to us. I'll put a call into them today to get an update.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:wings: Thanx, Martyn, I just planned on using my Koolatron, for this trip, it'll be OK for 4 days

Martyn said:
Jim we are waiting for Engel to get new stock and ship out to us. I'll put a call into them today to get an update.

When you were in that area (Truckee North) had you ever made it over to "White Rock Lake", it's about 15 miles South of WEBBER lake, we're going to try again, hoping the snow is LESS

Last trip there was snow and trees fallen and I didn't have my chainsaw with me in the Xterra, this time I will

FlyingWen

Explorer
The current shipment of Engels is already sold out of the MT45's. We expect our shipment to arrive August 1st. We do have the MR040 and other Engel models in stock with the except of the MT45.

I personally prefer the MT45, the the MR040 is a great looking fridge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles