Let's say you sold your 1990 Montero for $1000

1morebike

Adventurer
I got guy who is going to buy my 1990 Montero with bad head gasket. I just bought a 2003 Montero and want to spend that $1000 on it. The 2003 is in great shape and doesn't need anything that I know of. The suspension has not been replaced. What would you spend the $1000 on?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Without beating the topic too much I would say OME suspension and armor/sliders, aside from that just make sure you go through the fluids and other upkeep that may not have been done.

plh

Explorer
Timing belt, tensioner, water pump - I think you said these were already done thou, so...

Shocks, springs, check and replace if needed tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings, then wheel alignment, fluids change, see how much $ is left over after that.

clmrt

Adventurer
New wheels with less offset for a wider stance and slightly larger tires, or, if necessary, new control arms and ball joints all around plus shocks and springs.

Actually, here's how I spent the last K on mine -

Wheel bearings - front left needed it, did both fronts
Calipers and rotors all around - safety first
Trans / radiator flush
Alignment
Maintenance - plugs'n'wires, seals

So now if I had a free grand, I'd do wheels and tires.

Following that, I'd redo the suspension completely.

Then a stereo upgrade.

I rarely get the op to offroad, so armor is low on my list.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Transmission flush with oem sp-3! Cheapest and best performance mod I've done so far. You'll have enough money left over for a new suspension.

1morebike

Adventurer
Yeah think the transmission flush is going to happen. He had it flushed 50,000 ago so it's do I bet it the sp-3

1morebike

Adventurer
I jumped the gun on this. I thought it was done deal but nope. I have few more people interested. I appreciate he was straight up with me said he was just going to use it for parts and it deserved better then that. Im in no huge hurry to sell it I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke