Keep my Outback or buy a Tacoma?

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
Hey all,
I need an outsiders perspective on my current vehicle situation:

I currently drive a 2014 Outback 2.5 Premium. I've had it since new, and it currently sits with just shy of 60K on the ODO (I drive, a lot).
The Outback currently serves as my "Swiss Army Car"; as in, it does a little bit of everything... It is my DD, kid hauler (I have a 6 year old daughter), dog taxi, Dirt bike hauler (on my 4x7 utility trailer), and all around weekend warrior.

Here is where the question arises: I just found out that I am moving to Colorado for work in the near future, and my heart is starting to lust after a Tacoma that I can use to haul my dirt bike, and do some light wheeling with (think Imogene pass).

I have had a Tacoma in the past, and I loved it... But I also really have zero complaints with the Outback.

So, I ask you all to share your opinions. Will the 2.5 have enough power to haul my trailer at altitude? Would it be more beneficial to get rid of the trailer and haul my bike in the bed of a V6 Tacoma? Can the Outback handle a trail like Imogene pass?

Please, let me hear what you all have to say!

Thanks in advance!
-Craig

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Craig My OB is my DD. Two kids under 7. Tow our 4x6 trailer. Same as you its the family schlep tool.

I have a nice Sequoia too. Never drive it.
I like the Canyon diesel. It will beat the 2.5 OB on mileage. My only hang up is the rear seat space. The OB rear seat is massive vs the complete package. I like the Taco, but no way in hell would my wife tolerate a road trip in a taco.

The OB is hauling us to Yellow Stone in the spring 4x6 trailer and all. Roughly 1800+ mile trip. The Canyon would work seating comfort is better, nicer ride etc. I'm a toyota truck guy I have had three. The sequoia is probably my last Toyota product. The toyota tax, and domestics doing good stuff.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
A few current obs have run the pass. Wheezing and gasping all the way. I ran rough numbers a very conservative estimate 68hp maxed out at tye pass. Which matches descriptions of having to keep momentum in the 2.5 climbing the pass.
I've said it for yrs. Only reason id get the 3.6 is for altitude living. Turbo is even better. Which is why Colorado is the top state for light diesel sales.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Everything that isn't forced induction feels the altitude.

One thing that is for sure you'll blend in real well with a Subaru out here. I would recommend buy your Tacoma before you get here, if that's how you go. They command top dollar, the aforementioned Toyota Tax.

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
Thanks for the insight; I should clarify a couple of things...

I will be moving to Colorado without my daughter (gotta love divorce), so it will just be me and my 55 LB dog. I would not be buying a new truck, and I would actually be looking at access (extended) cab trucks rather than quad cabs due to the longer bed length.
I'm not dead set on just Tacoma's, as I really like the 1st GEN Tundra as well. As far as the "Toyota Tax", I'm pretty sure that applies everywhere now.

I like the look of the new GM diesel offerings, but I am not shelling out $40K for a midsized truck. I would be looking in the $20K range, as this truck will see some off road action.

Clutch

<---Pass
If you're like me, and have a bad case of "hmmm...where does that road go..." get the Tacoma. As Cali said...go look at the Colorado/Canyon. If they came with a manual trans, I would seriously consider one...but alas they don't...and as you said...dang spendy!

Agree with Dave, Toyotas command a higher price out West, than they do back East. In my searches seem like they are cheaper back there, however are usually rust buckets.

Clutch

<---Pass
Would I be better off looking for a full sized diesel?

Depends if you need that much truck.

I love the size of the 1st gen Tacomas...there are some spots I like to go that I can barely squeeze it into. I have flirted with the idea of getting a fullsize, and the better half says to me...you'll hate it...you won't be able to get to where you want to go...and then you'll b itch! She knows me too well!

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
I do have a fair amount of "where does that road go" syndrome, but that is also why I have my plated Husky. I just really want an all in one vehicle that will not limit me. I can almost see myself in the future trying to get my OB up Imogene pass and killing the poor thing.

DaveInDenver

You may not like a full size diesel if you plan to drive it to places where you were expecting to go with the Tacoma. Even the 2nd gen Tacoma starts to get a little snug on trails here in the trees. But it would carry your bike more comfortably.

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
lots of things to consider.....I appreciate the insight, fellas. My riding buddy tells me to just keep the outback, and buy an adventure bike.... he may have a point.

DaveInDenver

Your car will be excellent for accessing hiking trails and going skiing. It's a stereotype, but not without a solid reason, the state car of Colorado is a Subaru wagon.

Clutch

<---Pass
I trailer the moto, and have a Wildernest...that combo works well for me. I like exploring with both...but like the bike a just touch more...ok...a lot more. I like Suby's "ok" but find them limiting on where you can go. Like camping a little bit beyond the trail head.

I dunno, I say keep the Suby...drive it around in CO...if you find it limiting, move up to a truck. Your buddy might be right, I do find exploring on the bikes much more fun, there are often times I am out in the truck...wishing I was on the bike. Like wash boards for an example....can barely feel them on a bike...then if you see some gnarly trail out of the corner of your eye....scampering off into the distance...you can take it. Where in a truck or car, you're left wondering where it goes... ;)

Attachments

• 13690593_10154406835449630_7389590242400467047_n.jpg
    13690593_10154406835449630_7389590242400467047_n.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 24

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ nice setup! I'd like to see that setup sometime if you didn't mind.

I think clutch has the right idea. Try the suby in the new environment and if it won't suffice move up to a truck.

Happykamper

Explorer
Your in a very enviable position . Your OB will bring top dollar as most Subaru dealers won't discount, why? because they don't have to. So that should balance the Tacoma you know your going to buy lol. And a 20k budget for an access cab, is going to get you a nice low miler in Va. or Colorado :). The Tacoma will make you far happier. Just make sure it's a 6cyl. And you can probably find a nice TRD pkg for that money!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior