Keep my Outback or buy a Tacoma?

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
I think you guys are all on the right track... I will drive the Roo for a while out there and decide whether or not it is limiting my mountain man lifestyle. I truly aspire to get a bigger "adventure" bike to ride all over that colorful state. Perhaps that will be money better spent.

Clutch

<---Pass
^^^ nice setup! I'd like to see that setup sometime if you didn't mind.

Thanks!

Yeah, no problem, just let me know when you want to take a look at it.

I think you guys are all on the right track... I will drive the Roo for a while out there and decide whether or not it is limiting my mountain man lifestyle. I truly aspire to get a bigger "adventure" bike to ride all over that colorful state. Perhaps that will be money better spent.

CO is great for riding...world class ADV bike/Dual Sport and single track.

94toy22re

Observer
Why not both, keep you reliable awd Subaru with is perfect for Colorado and buy a older cheap 4x4 truck to haul your bikes and exploring!

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
Why not both, keep you reliable awd Subaru with is perfect for Colorado and buy a older cheap 4x4 truck to haul your bikes and exploring!

I have been kicking this idea around as well... In the past I actually had a 2010 Legacy and a 2000 Tacoma reg cab 4x4 at the same time, and it was the best of both worlds (yes, I realize that I should have just kept that). Like most people here on Expo, I have a severe case of vehicular ADD.
Being that I'm single, and in the military (move every couple of years) having two cars (and a couple brap machines) can get a bit cumbersome....

kmlacroix

Explorer
We had a 2010 Outback 2.5 and it did well out here. If you want a new(er) vehicle get a 6 cyl one, and tow your trailer.

vicali

Adventurer
We have a 2008 Forester 2.5, and a 2005 Tacoma dclb.
The Subaru is our family dd, kid carrier, dog hauler, rally car, highway driver.
Tacoma is the forestry road, camping, exploring rig..

I daily the Tacoma, I put up with the mileage because I like having a truck, when we are out in the Subaru I have to watch the roads and we've been turned around before.. Not in the Tacoma.

94toy22re

Observer
I'm single and i love have two cars, it's nice not worrying about being able to get to work next day when repairing or modifying your car because you always have a backup. I had a Yaris and 4runner combo until the last summer when the Yaris was totaled in accident so i'm driving the 4runner full time but i'm looking for a Outback or Forster with a blown HG for a project and new DD.

dhally

Hammerhead
I trailer a bike in the PNW, and I get everywhere I want to go. BUT, carrying the bike in a pickup does allow you to go faster on rough roads to access more remote trailheads. I have to creep along sometimes with the trailer.

p nut

butter
I also vote for keeping the Outback. You can easily trailer a dirt bike or 4wheeler. That will get you through a lot more of the backcountry than a Tacoma. Plus, they're much cheaper to run/fix. I'm in Utah, and after 2 Tacoma's, I've settled on a full-size truck (a necessity for the family), and have a 4wheeler and bikes (bicycles) for the trails. We also have an Outback that has gotten us through a LOT of the backcountry. It isn't as composed as a truck on rougher trails, but it holds its own with ~9" of clearance and an excellent AWD system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne