new to subaru, where do I need to be?

Recently purchased a new 2017 outback 2.5. Coming from owning nothing but trucks and suvs, I had my doubts, but I've really grown to like the car. Its my wifes DD, but when I do get to drive it, its really an enjoyable experience. Im considering a forester for myself.

My question is, what to watch for, be prepared for, upgrade......? I know its brand new but I'm looking to get a lot of life out of this car. Basically I need my subaru education. is it as simple as following the owners manual, or is ther more I neec to watch out for? Just turned 3k and going back to the dealer this week for the first oil change, then it will be all mine as far as maintenance goes. Any help appreciated.

Also, what should I be looking for forester wise in between $4-7k? Any years better than the other for modifying? Looking at a dd/ fishing car. Forest service roads being the most severe application. I would prefer a manual transmission unless the autos are that much better. Thanks in advance.

If you're interested the Forester, I'd look for an older Forester XT.

Actually, don't buy an XT. if you are just going to be running around fishing tracks, you dont need a turbo.... they are sought after and therefore more expensive. Also, usually modded to death. The manual uses a different AWD system, its 50/50 split all the time. The auto is 90/10 by default and tranfers power around as needed. good, rugged little cars that will put up with use off road. Head gaskets can be weak point, wheel bearings can be weak points. The auto trans is one of the toughest out there.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Been a Subaru fan since dumping my 4runner in 2001 for a 2.5 Legact gt 5spd non turbo. Beat the living crap out of that car, camping, Usal Beach, towing boats etc. Only replaced it for more space it was at 180k ran like a champ.

The OB is strait forward as is my 2010 OB. You have the new generation 2.5 less friction better heat shedding ability and you missed the oil ring vs low friction internals bugs in 2015.

The cvt has been oddly my top thumbs up it kills it in the mountians lots of ratios and it keeps the 2.5 in its happy place all the time.

The reverse gear ratio was too tall in the 2010-12. Subaru reworked it lowered the ratio. The only weak spot is the torque converter. At least 2010- 12. Parts supplier used the wrong material on an internal part wear causes it to fail to release thus stalling the car. Its essentially a clutch job to fix/replace and Subaru steps up to help cover costs.

CVT fluid 60k drain fill dealer does it for $180 in costly Bay Area. Keeps maint records with Subaru so if you have an issue Subaru warranty or not will usually do the right thing. Big reason I bought another Subaru. The company is far more responsive to helping individual owners with odd issues than any other Auto maker I've delt with.

The #1 thing OEM parts ONLY!!! Every Subaru owner I know with constant issues eventually finds non OEM junk caused pricy problems, from axles that rattle, to engine over heats due to non oem tstats. Stay OEM and the thing is a effing tank.

Avoid the xt. Get an h6 if you want more power. XTs by now are either junked tuner disasters or unkowing owners that more or less destroyed the turbo from poor oil change intervals. When the turbo goes the block is toast due to ingestion of turbo parts. Not worth it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Regarding power splits
Think of it as either dumb 50/50 manual trans that does shift power with wheel spin.

The cvt has been really good. Highly active. It has no fixed split its highly active based on speed. Throttle input, gear ratio etc. When you put the cvt into manual mode 1st or 2nd it sets up a pretty aggressive 50/50 fixed split.

p nut

butter
Recently purchased a new 2017 outback 2.5. Coming from owning nothing but trucks and suvs, I had my doubts, but I've really grown to like the car. Its my wifes DD, but when I do get to drive it, its really an enjoyable experience. Im considering a forester for myself.

My question is, what to watch for, be prepared for, upgrade......? I know its brand new but I'm looking to get a lot of life out of this car. Basically I need my subaru education. is it as simple as following the owners manual, or is ther more I neec to watch out for? Just turned 3k and going back to the dealer this week for the first oil change, then it will be all mine as far as maintenance goes. Any help appreciated.

Also, what should I be looking for forester wise in between $4-7k? Any years better than the other for modifying? Looking at a dd/ fishing car. Forest service roads being the most severe application. I would prefer a manual transmission unless the autos are that much better. Thanks in advance.

My question would be, what is your intended usage? For a daily driver and occasional dirt road outings, stock config is good. Excellent ground clearance and AWD is awesome. We've enjoyed ours. We've got 60k miles without a single issue. It gets 33MPG on the freeway during the summer, and with snow tires, it is almost unstoppable. My only complaint with the car is the factory roof rack system. I wish adding property crossbars (Yakima) wasn't a pain in the neck. Somewhat of a minor issue, I know, but still not happy with it. Forester is much better in this regard.

I had a 2005 forester x that had many hard miles in the mountains of WV frequently on forest roads. Head gaskets are an issue but if you change them when you do the timing belt and water pump it can be a great financial benefit. These are incredibly tough vehicles that can take you many places and are incredible snow cars.They can get to many surprising spots but are obviously not a 4x4, that being said they can get you most places reliably and safely. The only thing I had to watch was keeping my throttle body clean. I also used mine to tow a four wheeler and had no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles