anyone have Tupike?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Hey all,

Does anyone have a Tupike stove? I'm sort of floating around a world of unhappy with my backpacking cook set, and interested in upgrading to better stuff for the jeep. I don't really need to worry about weight, or cost, but I definitely don't want something permanently built in to the rig, I want to be able to move my kitchen around as needed. After reading the article here on Expo, and then watching a few videos online, I got interested in some of the Tupike features, specifically the easy disassembly and dishwasher cleaning ability. I "restored" an old Coleman 415 a few months ago, and while I love the classic white gas rituals, I really hate the cleaning and dealing with crap inside the stove. I'm also not keen on the overall size and constant slight gas odor of the Coleman. I'm thinking it is time to get more modern and convenient. So anyway, long story short(er)... I asked the wife to put Tupike at the top of my Christmas list but now I'm getting buyers remorse... Without even knowing if I'm getting the stove!

Any real life users out there to say yea or nay?

Thanks!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Bummer!

Well, closing the loop a bit on this... The Tupike was under the tree. My excitement was high... Until I opened the box to find a broken stove...

It had apparently not been closed/packed properly and the handle/latch was broken on one side. Although much of the stove's construction appears to be of high quality materials, the same cannot be said for the plastic moulded part that actually forms the handle latch. Not only does it appear to be inadequate for the design intent, there were large bubbles in the broken part.

The braided stainless fuel hose was also crushed, mostly annoying versus actually an issue, but Primus seems to talk a bigger game than they achieved, as there seems to be no way to secure the hose or the folding legs effectively.

We will be returning it to amazon, and I hope to post up a positive review in the near future. In the immediate future, I see a few design gap opportunities. I might modify the latch for the stove, and add one for the legs and the hose... Time will tell for that.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I've had a Tupike for about 8 months. I dig it. The reality is, most two burner stoves on the market are either super basic and borderline junky, or they're grossly overrated. Ya...that's a shot at Partner stoves and anything Snow Peak. My one grouse with the Tupike is the cost. That sucker is expensive for what it is. It definitely demands a higher price than most, but maybe not quite so spendy.

I also can't say I've had even a small issue with my stove as it has been flawless.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Nice. Thanks for the input. Mine is now back on a UPS truck to some Amazon retailer in Utah that claims they have no idea why it was improperly packaged. I'm not sure if it will be refunded or replaced, but I still hope to land a new one soon. I was mostly attracted to it by the removable stainless drip tray that looked really easy to drop in the dishwasher. Time will tell...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior