Portable vs Fixed Roof mount Solar panels

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Which panels did you go with? Do you clean them?

I'm leaning toward roof mount after the theft comment

Grape solar 100 watt flex panel .12" thick
The panels get sprayed off when the truck get washed
I dont worry when I stand on it

Attachments

• IMG_7362.jpg
    IMG_7362.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7020.jpg
    IMG_7020.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 70

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Not hooked up, but otherwise finished today:

KlyJfIM.jpg

dFC7Zff.jpg

xag9CWW.jpg

cBVV6I4.jpg

ehlNqai.jpg

U6qabQy.jpg

Everything is either aluminum or stainless steel, so rust shouldn't be an issue. The drawer slides will likely accumulate dust and dirt, but they're $25 at Home Depot, so even if I have to swap them once per year, it's not a problem. I used soft-closing slides because they take some force to open and close, thereby preventing the panel from sliding out during movement. I added the bungee cords as a "just in case" measure.

Nicely executed!

AmbulanceRV

KlyJfIM.jpg

dFC7Zff.jpg

xag9CWW.jpg

cBVV6I4.jpg

ehlNqai.jpg

U6qabQy.jpg

Everything is either aluminum or stainless steel, so rust shouldn't be an issue. The drawer slides will likely accumulate dust and dirt, but they're $25 at Home Depot, so even if I have to swap them once per year, it's not a problem. I used soft-closing slides because they take some force to open and close, thereby preventing the panel from sliding out during movement. I added the bungee cords as a "just in case" measure.

GREAT IDEA!

I have been struggling how to do my panels with a full roof rack wasnt sure what to do without losing rack space

Thanks for the slide out idea

Keeps them out of bad weather and hidden from vandals or thieves

Joe917

Explorer
GREAT IDEA!

I have been struggling how to do my panels with a full roof rack wasnt sure what to do without losing rack space

Thanks for the slide out idea

Keeps them out of bad weather and hidden from vandals or thieves

Great Idea BUT, you must park so that the upper rack does not shade any of the panel.

robgendreau

Explorer
I'm a huge fan of portable; I've got a Sportsmobile and could easily have mounted them on the roof. Most do. But I want the panels in the sun, not my sleeping quarters (I have little problem heating, but it's a huge problem to cool the van).

I was concerned about setup and take down (even though it's super easy), but I don't need to even use the panel if I'm driving since the alternator charges my batteries. And I've got a much smaller stealthier panel for long term maintenance charging. Living in a high crime are also influenced my thinking; panels sometimes migrated away.

I basically just hacked up HF heavy duty extension cord to the panel, with a frame I made from salvaged aluminum from a few HF 4' aluminum clamps. Makes a little stand. I've got a 100W Grape solar panel. The controller is inside wired to my other house power. You can all the wattage potential in the world, but if you can't get that baby in the sun it means bumpkiss.

loren85022

Explorer
Being in AZ we typ park in the shade. I took a flexible 100w and afixed in a canvas carry bag. The cables and controller are in a plastic ammo box. Stows easy.
solar-1074.jpgsolar-1071.jpgsolar-1068.jpg

ViperNL

Observer

KlyJfIM.jpg

dFC7Zff.jpg

xag9CWW.jpg

cBVV6I4.jpg

ehlNqai.jpg

U6qabQy.jpg

That's pretty awesome. Next level would be if you could tilt it when extended, wonder if they make slides like that.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Yep, makes a nice shade awning for the side window.

I sketched out a similar idea for a slide out panel for my Suburban build about 2yrs ago, but I couldn't make it work with the height of the Z-71 rack and the crown of the vehicle roof. Not enough clearance where I wanted to tuck it in. And then later built the roof deck linked in my sig. Still doodling ideas for a two-panel portable suitcase mount that can also be attached to the roof deck when camped. Or placed on the ground in optimum sun and angle with a long lead to the vehicle.

vehicle%20solar%20mount%20001_zpsg8rshurk.jpg

I was also figuring roof mounts with hinged panels and support brackets that could be pre-set to optimum angle / height, so it would be easy to position the panel for max generation

vehicle%20solar%20mount%20004_zps5dmvraea.jpg
vehicle%20solar%20mount%20003_zpsda85wc7v.jpg
vehicle%20solar%20mount%20002_zps9wm72npr.jpg

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I go with the set it and forget it solar setup. Ultra thin panel surface mounted to my poptop that charges both batteries all the time. I dont pay any attention to where and how I park or when I pop my top. I always have cold beer and my Land Cruiser always starts. Nothing to forget, move, set up, or worry about.

X2

No beer here, but otherwise agree in every respect.

I set it and forgot it 3.5 years ago. Untold Kilowatt hours absorbed. Easy and maintenance free. Works.

gottahave3kwatts

This company www.solarrolla.com made a van for Redfoo, one of the members of LMFAO. Looks like they used flexible panels and attached them the some sort of slide out system like Land Cruiser Phil did with his. Definitely the evolution of the solar awning!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94