What tablet are you running for your HEMA explorer?

andrew32

I have been running HEMA on a old Nexus 7 (2012) and HEMA really drags it down to a crawl. Looking to upgrade to a faster tablet and was wondering what everyone is running out there. I could go with the latest and greatest table, but is it necessary? I see every wasted $$ in terms of tires, wheels, racks, awning, etc these days, so if I can save $200 and go with a later model it would be totally worth it! I'm specific to Android, but what the heck..lets make this about all tablets running HEMA and what you observed. Below is a format that would be cool to follow.

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012)
Screen Size: 7"
Storage: 8GB internal. Expandable external.
Enough Storage: No
Pro: Tablet was affordable.
Cons: HEMA tends to drag down the tablet and often closes applications in the middle of creating tracks. No forward camera! Battery life seems to have lost 50%.
Cost: $175 new.
Do you recommend: No

1Louder

Explorer
Tablet: iPad Air
Screen Size: 9.7"
Storage: 128GB internal
Enough Storage: Yes
Pro: Still like iOS over Android and yes I have both
Cons: HEMA app is not my favorite. Lots of smoke and mirrors, It's similar to Gaia GPS but has not been updated since the initial release. Gaia updates its app all the time.
Cost: $499 new.
Do you recommend: Yes

I caution all considering the Hema app while the hype is high the reality isn't. That could change tomorrow but hasn't for 9 months. Gaia GPS has more map options than Hema. Hema does have very nice road maps but I am not looking for this type of application to show pretty road maps. I have Google Maps, and Apple maps for that. There is an unresolved Android bug that prevents you from saving the application and map data to an SD card. This is a major flaw for most Android folks.

My recommendation would be to buy something that is no older than 1 model year. You will just be better off and yes these things go obsolete for higher demand application after 3-4 years.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I don't know if it's HEMA at fault with the Nexus 7. Mine was always laggy no matter what.
I upgraded to an Nvidia Shield tablet and it was amazing until some recent updates. I haven't troubleshot it to see if it's just me or the new android killed it so I don't really want to recommend it now (but it was way better than the Nexus 7).

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
I currently run Hema Explorer on an iPhone 7+, iPad Mini 4, iPad Air 2, Lenovo Yoga Tab 3, and Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.

My favorite, of course, is the iOS versions, but the Android is acceptable and updates for both platforms are currently being beta tested.

The Tab 7 is a couple of years old and shows its age. The Yoga runs the app very well. At 8gb the Tab 7 suffers since we can't currently store maps on the SD card, so 16GB would be my minimum storage size.

I agree that you should try to stick with a relatively recent model, and as much power & storage as you can afford. If I were buying one today under $200, it would be the Asus Zenpad S 8 w/32GB on Amazon for $169.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz