High Output Flashlights

C-Fish

Adventurer
The thread on Mag lights prompted me to post in a new thread (didn't want to hijack).

How many of you are familiar with Fenix flashlights?

I have a few; this year each of my 3 brothers is getting one for their birthday (P2D).

I carry the P2D "premium" (daily) $60. Single CR123 battery...180 Lumens. Standard P2D is 135 Lumens

I have been carrying this light now for about 4 months and I use it everyday...It has some very cool features:
Features

*Utilizes a Premium (Q5) Cree 7090 XR-E LED with a life of 50,000 hours
*Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel
*General Mode: 12 lumens (30hrs) -> 55 lumens (5.5hrs) -> 107 lumens (2hrs) -> SOS
*Turbo Mode: 180 lumens (1hrs) -> Strobe
*15 days of survival use (2 continuous hours per day on the lowest setting)
*Digitally Regulated for Constant Brightness
*Uses one 3v CR123A battery (not included)
*8.0cm (L) x 2.1cm (D) or 3.1 in (L) x 0.8 in (D)
*Made of aircraft grade aluminum
*Durable Type III hard anodized finish
*38 gram (or 1.3 oz) weight (excluding batteries)
*Waterproof to IPX-8 Standards
*Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating
*Push-button tailcap switch
*Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle
*Battery not included
*Includes a holster, lanyard, two spare o-rings, and a rubber switch boot.

Check it out.

Click Here

I am NOT a salesman or affiliated with the company, just a guy passing on what I consider a quality product...

I bought my brother one before he went to Thailand. I think his model was the P1. It was insanely bright for how small the flashlight was.

Bjorn

grillmasterp

Observer
Many want to consider the
NiteCore D10 or EX10

Also available from fenix-store.com
The D10 & EX10 were a collaboration by David (aka foursevens) owner of www.fenix-store.com along with Nite Core.

(I have several Fenix lights too - L1p, L2T, P1, P3D)

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I'm finally sold on the benefits of using cr123a powered lights over AA and AAA lights, due to the low cost of the cr123a batteries. They used to cost big bucks but can be had for about $1-$1.50 each now. cr123a batteries are shelf stable for 10 years while alkaline batteries leak and rechargeables don't hold a charge very long.

I got an Olight T10 (2008 model) recently. It's a great small light for only $50.

Specifications:

Uses 1 X CR123A batteries - primary or rechargeable. (not included).
Ultra Efficient, State of the art CREE 7090 XR-E Q5 WC LED up to 190 lumens on high!
Unique half smooth, half orange peel metal reflector ensures a smooth beam and excellent throw.
Specially designed for waterp resistance and anti-roll.
AR coated glass lense.
Aluminium alloy case with MIL-SPEC Type III black hard anodized finish.
Water proof to IPX-8 standard, anti-shattering, anti-scratching and anti-rolling. MIL-STD-810F compliant.
Size: 89.6mm/3.5"(L) x 21.6mm/.85"(D)Weight:43g/1.5oz without battery.

Includes Wrist Lanyard, Spare tailcap switch cover and O-rings.

Output & Runtime Information: Illumination: 190lm(1hr), 85lm(3hrs), 38lm(8hrs), 15lm, 20hrs), 6lm(50hrs)
SOS: 190lm for 3 hrs 17lm for 40 hrs
Strobe: 190lm (2.1hrs)

http://www.batteryjunction.com/specialedition-t10-olight.html

targa88

Explorer
Fenix L1T

Have been using a Fenix for a couple of years. Compact, powerful light. Very satisfied.
Would potentially upgrade to T1 or TK10.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
calamaridog said:
I'm finally sold on the benefits of using cr123a powered lights over AA and AAA lights, due to the low cost of the cr123a batteries. They used to cost big bucks but can be had for about $1-$1.50 each now. cr123a batteries are shelf stable for 10 years while alkaline batteries leak and rechargeables don't hold a charge very long.

I got an Olight T10 (2008 model) recently. It's a great small light for only $50.

Specifications:

Uses 1 X CR123A batteries - primary or rechargeable. (not included).
Ultra Efficient, State of the art CREE 7090 XR-E Q5 WC LED up to 190 lumens on high!
Unique half smooth, half orange peel metal reflector ensures a smooth beam and excellent throw.
Specially designed for waterp resistance and anti-roll.
AR coated glass lense.
Aluminium alloy case with MIL-SPEC Type III black hard anodized finish.
Water proof to IPX-8 standard, anti-shattering, anti-scratching and anti-rolling. MIL-STD-810F compliant.
Size: 89.6mm/3.5"(L) x 21.6mm/.85"(D)Weight:43g/1.5oz without battery.

Includes Wrist Lanyard, Spare tailcap switch cover and O-rings.

Output & Runtime Information: Illumination: 190lm(1hr), 85lm(3hrs), 38lm(8hrs), 15lm, 20hrs), 6lm(50hrs)
SOS: 190lm for 3 hrs 17lm for 40 hrs
Strobe: 190lm (2.1hrs)

http://www.batteryjunction.com/specialedition-t10-olight.html

Bryan,
Any idea what temp the bulb is operating at? Based upon yours does it exhibit any blue-ness? Or is it more 'white'?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I've seen the Fenix and really like the strobe modes.

However, I got this for $29.99 at CostCo with a Cree LED and 145 Lumens. It has a heavy stainless body and switch on the end cap. Uses 6 AAA batteries and has a sheath. Too heavy for backpacking but makes for a rugged light to keep in the truck

I borrowed these pictures from another forum
LM500009Small.jpg

LM500001Small.jpg

LM500018Small.jpg

Good review with comparison to a Fenix
http://edcforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=dabc1ffc5c24ce097d0b33961f599dcf&topic=12937.msg157654#new

Last edited:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
spressomon said:
Bryan,
Any idea what temp the bulb is operating at? Based upon yours does it exhibit any blue-ness? Or is it more 'white'?

I'm still learning Dan, but the light is white and the bulb doesn't seem to heat up too much when I run it for a long time. The olight seemed well regarded/reviewed at candlepower forums, so I went for it.

I want to get the 2 battery tactical version next. The t10 is great for carrying in my pocket but I need a tactical style light for work carry. Actually, the t10 has found a permanent home in my bug-out-bag for now, since the battery won't leak.

For the money, I think the quality and performance are pretty great.

M.Bas

Adventurer
I have a Fenix L2D, its the same as the one seif1 has but with regular battery's (penlite, AA or whatever its called on the other side of the ocean).

I bought this version because of the battery compatibilaty with my GPS and some other stuff, using the same battery's in everything that needs them reduces the amount of battery's/chargers needed by a lot.

On my vacation I actually used the Fenix to discharge the battery's completely once my GPS said they were 75% discharged. When using the highest light output he still gave like 2 hours of light.
Had to turn if off sometimes because of the heat generated while standing on the on/off button :oops:

When using it in a normal way I always used the lowest light output.
Did you know the strobe-mode is actually designed to disorientate other people? And yes it works :xxrotflma

Bergger

Explorer
I've been carrying this on the job for the past 7 years and it is a great flash light. Very bright and it takes a beating and gives a beating!!;) Nothing has ever broken on it. When not at work I pop it in the charger I mounted in my truck. It'll lluminate just about anything within 100 yards of your camp.

streamlight-flashlights_2011_17078761

Ultra Stinger® This is the brightest Stinger flashlight of all. It is only 11-3/4" long and weighs 1.1 pounds but puts out 75,000 candlepower. The Ultrastinger® is made of machined aircraft aluminum guaranteed for life. This is the brightest flashlight ever made for its size.

Rechargeable
30-hour life Xenon-halogen gas-filled bi-pin bulb.
Adjustable focus beam.
Standard charge 10 hours.
Fast charger 2 1/2 hours.
5-cell 6 volt nickel-cadmium sub-C battery included.
Up to 1 hour continuous use.
Push-button head switch.
Water resistant

I had the regular stinger flashlight for 9 years on the job. It was a nice little light for it's time. I recently (6 mo ago) bought the Pelican 7060 LED LAPD light. Wow! This thing is ultra bright! It's a bit bigger then the Stinger but it is much much better. I like the tailcap and side switches.

Bjorn

C-Fish

Adventurer
I also have an Inova T4 for the nightstand.
botach_2007_44686676

Very nice flashlight. I haven't had to recharge in almost 9 months.

The Fenix is most impressive as it is almost 1/4 the size and puts out more light.

I have some other CR123 lights (Brinkman) that reside in vehicles and drawers...

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
olympiccop2002 said:
I had the regular stinger flashlight for 9 years on the job. It was a nice little light for it's time. I recently (6 mo ago) bought the Pelican 7060 LED LAPD light. Wow! This thing is ultra bright! It's a bit bigger then the Stinger but it is much much better. I like the tailcap and side switches.

Bjorn

x2. Usually I'm a big fan of surefire products. After testing out a couple of friends Pelican, I just ordered one.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Last edited:

ExpoMike

At the SoCal Toys for Tots event, I won a Fenix TA30 light. It uses 2 CR123 lithium batteries (which does not come with it) and has 3 levels of brightness and a strobe setting. On low power it is nice as an around camp light or reading a map, etc. Not too bright to use. On full power, man that is the brightest flashlight I have ever owned. It reaches well down the block.

For being fairly small, it is WAY over built and I really like the momentary push switch on the end, so you can take a quick look without actually having to switch it on. Also I like the twist ring that sets what light level, is independant of the on/off switch, so no cycling thru to get your desired level.

Overall it is a very nice light and I am glad I have it but I would have a hard time spending what these cost (~$85-$100).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94