Spaceball 1: 1997 E350 V10

FROADER

Adventurer
A quick history...

Almost 9 years ago, I had a 2004 v10 15 passenger ("build" thread) that I had big plans for. I went as far a getting the Ujoint front brackets, F&R axles, leaf springs, and wheels and tires, but I didn't have the van long enough to do anything with it.

A couple of weeks ago, I came across this basically identical (albeit 7 years older), '97 v10 15 passenger with 69k miles in great shape and couldn't pass it up. This is going to be a basic build mostly used for making memories with my son going to the desert to ride our dirt bikes, camping out and snow trips.

Exterior Plans:
ø Lifting it to fit 285/75s (most likely Weldtec)
• Selectable locker
• Custom front bumper
• Custom rear tire carrier (similar to Aluminess)
• Roof rack (platform)
• Awning
• House batteries
• Possible solar
• Paint/ vinyl to break up the churchiness

Interior Plans:
ø Replace bench seats for one transit seat
ø Swivel front seat bases
ø Upgraded speakers and sub (already has a decent head unit)
• Inverter
ø Newer console

Having been on this site over the years, I like so many great ideas I've seen it's hard to decide. I realize I may end up reconfiguring my initial layout as that seems to be the norm, but I'm trying to figure as much out as possible to get the best use for the time being.

I need to load 2 motorcycles, up to 5 mountain bikes and other random junk, while being able to have a platform fold down or somehow appear to sleep on.

van2.jpg

van3.jpg

van4.jpg

This is going to be a pretty slow build, but I'll update as often as I can.

Last edited:

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
I'm in as well. Gonna be doing the same thing soon but with a type II Ambo.
My thoughts are to have drop down side cots in the back area where the bikes would be, the bench would be a conversion bed mounted forwards enough to work with the bikes if space permits and I'd find one of the front cab beds as well. That way empty you can sleep 4 at least in separate beds and with the bikes still be able to have 2 sleeping areas, the cab and bench.

FROADER

Adventurer
Minor update.

I noticed one of more of the speakers sounded blown out. I found that all 6 looked like this one!

C2I_0030 copy.jpg

I ended up getting some Pioneer 6x8s to replace all of them. I didn't get an amp yet, because I'm going to wait until I get a sub and do all of that together.

IMG_6007.jpg

C2I_0035 copy.jpg

Last edited:

LukeD

Observer
Love that, where did you find one, eBay?

Another minor update.

Got an updated doghouse console.

console_zpswpf5mkzx.jpg

malibubts

Adventurer
I think a bumper sticker needs to be on your mod list.

latest

Good looking build so far, can't wait to see more.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

hobovan

'00 E350SD PSD
They have those consoles for 139 on ebay. I wouldn't run a ton of power to those pioneers, and you're going to have to get "unique" with your wiring to power 6 speakers. Cool van, and I'm all about Father/Son projects. That's how I got started slingin' wrenches as well. Fair winds!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Minor update.

I noticed one of more of the speakers sounded blown out. I found that all 6 looked like this one!

C2I_0030%20copy_zpsyher7gkd.jpg

I ended up getting some Pioneer 6x8s to replace all of them. I didn't get an amp yet, because I'm going to wait until I get a sub and do all of that together.

IMG_6007_zpshwzig5bk.jpg

C2I_0035%20copy_zpsdbsrqzmx.jpg

The 6x8 speakers in my 97 looked exactly the same as that (FUBARED). I replaced the two door speakers with the same Pioneer speakers... A major step up. When I replaced the stock Radio with a newer Mach unit, I found that they can produce decent sound :D I'd been starting to think they had no low end before that :(

FROADER

Adventurer
I think a bumper sticker needs to be on your mod list.

Good looking build so far, can't wait to see more.
Haha! I tried to get the license plate "SPCBLL1" but it was taken!! I'll have to check on variations... or maybe DRKHLMT. :)

I wouldn't run a ton of power to those pioneers, and you're going to have to get "unique" with your wiring to power 6 speakers. Cool van, and I'm all about Father/Son projects. That's how I got started slingin' wrenches as well. Fair winds!

The 6x8 speakers in my 97 looked exactly the same as that (FUBARED). I replaced the two door speakers with the same Pioneer speakers... A major step up. When I replaced the stock Radio with a newer Mach unit, I found that they can produce decent sound :D I'd been starting to think they had no low end before that :(

I had these same 6x8s in my Explorer. Once I get a sub, I'll probably get a 5 channel amp and set it up accordingly. They are already (obviously) so much better than the blown stock speakers. The head unit I have is more powerful than the stock unit as well, so I'm sitting pretty for now.

I got my son a PW50 for Christmas. We're going to the desert next weekend, so I hope to get ideas on some layout options.

Last edited:
Colin,

What are you riding these days?

I have my dr650 set up for street use in kind of a sumo setup 19x2.5 front, 17x4.25 rear with street tires. Hoping to get an orange 525 in the pseudo near future. But it'll be after the van is done.

Don't worry, the bike has pro tapers on it.

A64288B2-B923-4429-A808-AC8803C91118_zpsjclb6xnb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles