Recommend a fire extinguisher?

jcbrandon

Explorer
Can you recommend a fire extinguisher?
I'm looking for something that can be mounted horizontally under the drivers' seat in my truck. Appropriate for a vehicle fire, minimal destruction when activated, and affordable. I know those last two criteria may be mutually exclusive.

Any recommendations?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
From indirect experience you can't carry too big of an extinguisher, or too many of them. In the past I've carried a pair of 2.5 lbs dry chems. Then I got a second truck. I need to get more extinguishers.

It's been said before, but it is worth noting again. With a dry chem extinguisher it should be rotated every quarter or more often. If left alone the powder will get compacted (even when not subjected to vibration) and then only discharge propellant gas and not powder when it is needed. This is what the annual inspection is all about, breaking up the compaction.

That Halguard looks promising for a situation at work too. Grazia!

mcm4090

Explorer
I was told that you shouldn't mount a fire extinguisher horizontal. I don't know if that is true but that is what I was told.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
The halGard , Halotron and other Halon replacement extinguishers work much better in a confined and controlled environment. They leave no residue to continue to stop the fire. They are also only rated BC (flam. liquid, electrical), even thought they will somewhat work with "A" , solid combustible fires.
I prefer to carry ABC dry chem. Size does matter. I pack a 5 lb.
Orientation of mounting is not really critical. Inverting to "fluff" the dry chem is important. The media settles through vibration and just with time. This makes it form a cake and the media will not flow when needed. Inverting and a few taps with a dead blow hammer is all that is needed. This also applies for those mounted on their side. Obviously they need to be discharged in an upright position. The siphon tube extends to the bottom of the cylinder.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
HenryJ said:
The halGard , Halotron and other Halon replacement extinguishers work much better in a confined and controlled environment. They leave no residue to continue to stop the fire. They are also only rated BC (flam. liquid, electrical), even thought they will somewhat work with "A" , solid combustible fires.
I prefer to carry ABC dry chem. Size does matter. I pack a 5 lb.
Orientation of mounting is not really critical. Inverting to "fluff" the dry chem is important. The media settles through vibration and just with time. This makes it form a cake and the media will not flow when needed. Inverting and a few taps with a dead blow hammer is all that is needed. This also applies for those mounted on their side. Obviously they need to be discharged in an upright position. The siphon tube extends to the bottom of the cylinder.

yea im thinking ABC or BC (but does not do wood fires)

as long as its ABC you are good to go.

jh504

Explorer
Iv said it on here before, I carry the biggest extinguisher I can fit. I have dealt with a few vehicle fires and you can never have too much. Used up 4 medium extinguishers on a car one time and it was still burning until FD put a booster line on it.

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
The BC dry chem extinguishers can extinguish a solid combustible fire. Not well enough to get the A rating though. The sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate extinguishers do not melt like the monoammonium phosphate. It tends to do a better job of sealing. It does make a mess that is harder to clean up though.
I keep a BC in the kitchen. A box of baking soda would probably be the first thing used though. Less mess.

Even though the ABC is going to be messy, you want as many things in your favor as possible when you have to use one.

rmarz

Adventurer
Great posts and info based on experiences. For me the pros and cons of ABC and Halotron led to carrying one of each , both mounted in different areas, but one being within reach of the driver should the passenger ignite his 100 proof with a lit cigar.

rmarz

Adventurer
jcbrandon said:
Any particular passenger you expect to perform this stunt?

Always searching for like minded passengers:) besides in reach of the driver, means in reach of the passenger, should the driver make the same mistake of mixing bumps, flammables and ignition all in the presence of oxygen.

wagner_joe

Adventurer
I'll stay behind you and your passengers on the trail!:ylsmoke:

rmarz Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbrandon
Any particular passenger you expect to perform this stunt?

Always searching for like minded passengers besides in reach of the driver, means in reach of the passenger, should the driver make the same mistake of mixing bumps, flammables and ignition all in the presence of oxygen.

phatman

Observer
jh504 said:
Iv said it on hear before, I carry the biggest extinguisher I can fit. I have dealt with a few vehicle fires and you can never have too much. Used up 4 medium extinguishers on a car one time and it was still burning until FD put a booster line on it.
i used 4 large on a truck fire with a fireman helping, had he not been there the truck and trailer would have both gone up.

extinguishers go so quick, even quicker when you don't know what you doing. further more, a very short fire can total a vehicle.
I've thought about an under hood/ under body halon/co2 system in plus an ABC in case it keeps going. maybe even tap into my co2 tank. cheap to refill and can hit it if there is any smoke what so ever. what do you guys think?

Bighead

Adventurer
rmarz said:
Great posts and info based on experiences. For me the pros and cons of ABC and Halotron led to carrying one of each , both mounted in different areas, but one being within reach of the driver should the passenger ignite his 100 proof with a lit cigar.

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that I also carry an ABC extinguisher to complement the HalGard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz