Is your RTT installed full-time, part-time, or as needed?

Is your RTT installed full-time, part-time, or as needed?

• RTT is installed year-round in all conditions

Votes: 36 45.0%
  • RTT is installed for a season and then removed

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • RTT is installed only per-use and removed after

Votes: 20 25.0%

• Total voters

spikemd

Explorer
Mine is mounted February to October and I don't worry about mpg as I drive a brick anyway. Great for last minute trips and minimizes packing and unpacking, the 2 worst parts of camping. I also recommend 303 marine UV protectant spray if u leave the RTT in the sun. Really helps from fading and keeping the cover pliable. Mine has been outside for most of 3 years and the cover is still good. Another buddy's cover was cracking and faded in the same time frame with no protectant. Camping is so much easier and more comfortable with an RTT!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Mine is installed full time on my TENTRAX and is either in my garage/back yard(covered)/in use --

No reason for removing it--ever !

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

rttz4me

Leave mine on year round. Autohome Columbus. Use the autohome tuff nut security devices on their website. Did have one Columbus stolen. Was on sons vehicle. He wrecked the Jeep. The tow truck driver took vehicle to his personal property. The insurance company used a different tow truck company to transport from his property to junk yard. Frist guy just cut it off jeep and stashed it. Cops said there was no way to prove way to prove first guy took tent. Because tent was attached to vehicle insurance mostly reimbursed me.
Ive got another Columbus that I don't worry about theft, though I do brush off heavy or deep snow to prevent the possibility of cracking

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I guess it depends and I've been through it all. At first, on the truck, I installed it per-use and removed after. This was ok when I had my dad to help me. When I got in the army, and being shoved around bases for the first 2 years, I installed it pretty much for the season and stored it back at my parents at the end. After settling on one spot, and finding a girlfriend, I was back to per-use, but it depends, sometimes it would stay it on for a few weeks or a month at a time, depending on my time to remove it, and if use for the RTT again wasn't far off. The issue also was getting help. The girlfriend wasn't really capable to do it, but the mother-in-law was, but she's like 5ft and I felt bad. I had made a rig with wood to self-install the RTT and used it once, but the trailer project ended up starting later that year. With the trailer, I could finally and officially put it on for the entire season and remove it for the winter since the trailer was stored outside because the winters are bad. This year however, the trailer is stored inside, again thanks to the mother-in-law, so come spring, the tent will of spent an entire year on the trailer

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
I leave mine on year round pretty much! i take it off every once and awhile...but its either on the excursion or the Tundra. I use the same 303 protection, and it works great!
I hate taking the time to mount it every time i want to use it.. and more often then not it gets used right in our front yard. Many of times we have had family over, and at least one couple uses it every weekend for an extra bed. WE also use it for going to friends houses, and if we have a beer or two we just pull it in the drive way..and stay in it.. Bring your bed every where!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I've been taking it on and off, a huge pain in the neck. Sometimes if my trips are spaced close enough I can go for several weeks with it up there.

I'd like to get to more of a seasonal on and off. Now I have a second vehicle I may leave it up longer at a time since I can drive around home and to work mostly in the other vehicle.

One day I hope maybe I'll try the trailer approach out, leave it attach to that along with all my gear stored so I can connect the hitch and go. That's really my biggest attraction to the trailer, otherwise I think that is a lot to drag along, but on weekend base camping it would be a lot easier to handle.

fellglenn

DR Brown,

If I have several weekend trips coming up back to back, it will stay on the vehicle. When I don't have anything, it resides on a trailer that I use occasionally for multi day 3+ day campouts were I am at the same spot and use my truck to go different places. As I have to go in parking garages, the tent on my rig may or may not fit. Don't trust the clearance bars that hang down in parking garages, sometimes they are lower than the lowest point, sometimes they are an inch higher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94