What vehicle is same as the a Trooper?

MTGunner

MTGunner
Looking to get Trooper or equivilant. Need info and/or recommendations for DD and off-road expiation travel. Looking to build vehicle for long range travel, sleeping, hunting, fishing and etc.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
In the US market, the 1996 to 1999 Acura SLX was a badge-engineered Trooper. As I understand, it didn't sell very well, so you probably won't find too many of those compared to 2nd-gen troopers. If you're in another market, they got rebadged as a few different things, according to wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Trooper#Second_generation_.281991.E2.80.932002.29

EDIT: Realized you posted this in the Nissan forum. Is there a Nissan Trooper in a foreign market I'm not aware of? Google doesn't turn anything up...

justbecause

perpetually lost
I am a HUGE trooper fan. I have two in the yard at the moment, but I would never recommend anyone buy a trooper with an automatic transmission.
My 98 with OEM 5 speed is great, I love it, but like every isuzu I have ever had (I have had 5 through my life) it hates reverse. I think they are geared too high, at least those with the 4l30e (only v6 auto ever available in a trooper) and the 98-02 5 speeds, maybe the 4cyl auto or 97 and earlier 5 speeds were different.
Isuzus burn oil like its going out of style. the 3.5 is most known for the issue, but every Isuzu I have had burned oil even when they had really low mileage.

They have dana 60 rear ends, disc brakes before their time, 3/4 ton frames. Amazing machines but they have enough quirks that you need to be an enthusiast to keep it on the road.

Since we are in the nissan forum I will say a 2nd gen xterra is probably as close as you can get to a trooper. 2010+ doesnt have the transmission, radiator issue the 05-09 have. Available factory rear locker, disc brakes in the rear (toyota, drum brakes on a mid size truck in the 2017 year model, really?)

Regarding "long range" the trooper does have a 22 gallon fuel tank. You need that considering most average 12mpg on the road (I can get 19 even in an automatic but it takes a lot of work and patience) 12-16 is to be expected with normal driving. Less in low range (obviously).

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Or equilivent, and in the Nissan sub-forum.
I am guessing you are looking at what Nissan options exist as compared to a Trooper? I think that is what you are asking anyway.

What age/price point are you looking at? I know old troopers can be had for under a grand. Friend kept a collection and mixed and matched parts to keep them alive. But those are were 80's left overs. So if that is your comparison, the old first gen WD21 hardbody Pathfinder is what you will likely find.

Or are you looking for something newer, say ~15 years old? First gen WD22 Xterra and the second gen R50 Pathfinder are newer and better vehicles and can still be had fairly cheap.

If you are looking for newer stuff, closer to the ~5 year old mark, the second gen Xterra is pretty good. It has grown a bit above the first gen but overall it is a lot better. The 3rd gen Pathfinder is often overlooked. Has more interior room and has taken a bigger deprecision hit often making it a better deal then an Xterra of the same vintage. The IRS is fine on the road and mild trails but if you start getting it really twisted up on the trails it isn't as good.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
The trooper was also badged as a Honda Passport.

I'd put the R50 Pathfinder as something similar to the Trooper in style comfort. It's unibody, but still pretty solid and still very capable off-road. It's coil spring suspension is better for longer travel suspension as opposed to the WD21 and WD22 platforms which use torsion bars and leaf springs, but you would want to consider that way if you plan to use your SUV as a truck and put in some heavy loads.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The trooper was also badged as a Honda Passport.

I'd put the R50 Pathfinder as something similar to the Trooper in style comfort. It's unibody, but still pretty solid and still very capable off-road. It's coil spring suspension is better for longer travel suspension as opposed to the WD21 and WD22 platforms which use torsion bars and leaf springs, but you would want to consider that way if you plan to use your SUV as a truck and put in some heavy loads.

The Honda passport was a rodeo

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Shoot, your right! I read the Acura SLX and thought the Passport was the Honda version. My mistake!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior