Cabela's Trailgear Covers

02rangeredge

Adventurer
hmmm. Well given that the degradation of my leather driver seat is accelerating since I lifted my Sub a couple inches, I've been shopping hard to re-upholster it. $400 for matching leather pieces, I do the work myself. $200 for just a seat bottom. Best deal on that is $138 on eBay. So reading the posts on these was enough to make me go order 1 gray bucket to give it a whirl. Worth the $30 to my door to try it out.

I knew I couldn't be the only one on the fence, and with the number of people on here I couldn't figure out how there wasn't a decent review

Burb One

Adventurer
I have a pair in the front seats of my 2004 suburban. I'll take pictures tonight. Had to cut and sew the covers to fit over the seat integrated seatbelts. For the ~29-39 bucks I paid for them in Cabelas I am really happy.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have a pair in the front seats of my 2004 suburban. I'll take pictures tonight. Had to cut and sew the covers to fit over the seat integrated seatbelts. For the ~29-39 bucks I paid for them in Cabelas I am really happy.
Our GM trucks have that weird seat configuration where the headrest is a separate piece but the seat belt goes through a raised section of the seatback. No idea why the GM engineers designed it that way but I'm assuming they did it for safety reasons? In any case it pretty much nixes the possibility of "generic" seat covers fitting unless you cut or otherwise modify them.
By chance do you have pictures of your modified seat covers?

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
These were taken this summer when I installed them. They don't look quite as taut now, but I haven't taken the time to adjust them. I went with the camo so they wouldn't show dirt/stains/etc. as easily.
2007%20F350%20015_zpsjeag2khc.jpg

2007%20F350%20019_zpsfvjx8j7d.jpg

RedF

Adventurer
I have them in my 06 Ranger. They fit pretty well, I've had them for a few years and quite a few kms, they're holding up well. I installed them over a piece of 1" medium density foam to add a little extra cushion to the rather firm seat.

I'll post a picture later.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I have them in my 06 Ranger. They fit pretty well, I've had them for a few years and quite a few kms, they're holding up well. I installed them over a piece of 1" medium density foam to add a little extra cushion to the rather firm seat.

I'll post a picture later.

I may have to do that, I don't mind the firmness of my seats usually but my 5 hr drives to see family can definitely see the benefit of a little cushioning. How much looking for other seat covers did you do?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Got mine today. If the rain lets up tomorrow I'll try a fitting.

There is a full velcro seam up both sides of the seat back, under the cross lacing, A nice two-layer pocket on the back, which is nice as this will obscure the built-in pocket on Suburban buckets.
They also have two large rectangular velcro-edged panels on the side of the seat portion, which should allow access to the seat adjustment controls.

For GMT800 owners, and our buckets that have both the shoulder and lap belts coming out of slots in teh seat itself - the velcro seam should facilitate the shoulder belt coming thru. But the seat portion looks like it needs some seamstress work to make a slit for the belt and an addition of some velcro to close that slit around the lap belt. I'll get some pictures when I get it test-fitted. And since I'm half a seamstress I can make and sew the mods for the lap belt. Stay tuned.

rayra

Expedition Leader
No Joy / Wave off. Pics this evening. Couldn't get a good fit on the front buckets of the GMT800 Suburban. The vehicle seat backs are too broad at the shoulders and too thick front to back in the lumbar area. I took all the slack out of the velcro side seams that I could and came nowhere close in the area of the right shoulder above the fold-up armrest. Had to open that velcro seam WIDE in the shoulder area and really didn't like the (lack of) fit then.

Also, these seat covers also have a square velcroed panel high on both sides to facilitate shoulder belts.

The lap belt on the GMT800 bucket comes up out of the seat and it's a couple inches inboard and forward of the 'hinge point' of the seat cover. It would indeed require cutting and sewing and velcro to accommodate the lap belt. If that was the only issue I'd do it. But as it is with the bigger fitment issues, I'm sending it back.

Guess I'm going to have to trawl the auto scrapyards again or get that $140 leather seat bottom off eBay

02rangeredge

Adventurer
thats a real shame man, sounds like a PITA, good luck with the hunt. It doesn't sound like any sort of generic covers will fit your seat

Burb One

Adventurer
Rayra,

Wait, did you get the ones with the lacing down the side? I will be with my truck this weekend I'll get some pictures on how I cut and sewed. I believe all i had to do was cut the area where the shoulder belt extrudes from the seat, and move the velcro a little to the outside so that the headrest would fit.

When new, they stretched over the lumbar area as you said but after a trips worth of use it all stretched out quite nicely. Only loss of function in the inner arm rest (I use the center console for my elbow anyway)

stay tuned for pictures this weekend. I love the covers

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
here's what I've got. GMT800 Sub, Z-71 / LT leather interior. Front buckets (captain's chair?). I did indeed order the bucket with the corset lacing on the sides.

here's the seats, they're very wide and square, not tapered like most buckets.

GMT800Leatherseat01_zpst8so3kcq.jpg
GMT800Leatherseat02_zpsp32uuwym.jpg
GMT800Leatherseat03_zpsafk3cmkd.jpg

First try was just putting it on, no go. Then I explored the long velcroed seams under the side lacing. I opened those then reattached them with as little overlap as I could.

GMT800Leatherseat04_zpsfmqdeloz.jpg
GMT800Leatherseat05_zpsvr09hsec.jpg

There's THREE pockets on the back, two layers on the bottom one, mesh over a solid pouch, and the upper is mesh with a vertical divider in the middle, sized for phones, GPS etc.

Then as we come around to the middle - with the outer edge up over the hunchback of the integral should belt mechanism - I had to split the velco wide open. You can see it's nowhere close to fitting

GMT800Leatherseat06_zps2hqdfnc4.jpg
GMT800Leatherseat07_zpsb4xk5npe.jpg

and you can see I also just went under the armrest for the rough fit.

Then the bottom and lap belt. This would be an easy fix to accommodate the built-in lap belt. I could just split the panel seam and heavily reinforce the ends of the gap.

GMT800Leatherseat08_zpshzfg3v1u.jpg
GMT800Leatherseat09_zpslzdhler7.jpg

I didn't bother trying to lash down the fitting straps or laces. I'm fairly sure it's not going to make enough of a difference.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Rayra: FWIW there are two versions of the trailgear covers, one for seats with the headrest built in, and one for seats with a removable headrest. I wonder if the version without the built in headrest would work better?
trailgear.jpg
This version is called the "low back" seat cover. Since my Pathfinder has detachable headrests that's what I'm going to put in there.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I too could not find covers for my kid's rig (Geo Tracker: 2 door/4wd/softtop) and ended up purchasing Trailgear Covers.

The front seats are covered with the high back covers and the rear seats are covered with the low back covers.
Since this rig gets hammered by sixteen year old kids and is a softtop, I was hoping for something that could stand up to sun/kid abuse.
These covers have worked well! After installing and cinching down the side ties, I secured the cordlocks with zipties. There has been no movement on the seats and they are standing up to wheeling abuse and daily driving mayhem. Excellent value IMO.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'll look into the low back cover, maybe get an exchange. The built in seat-belt 'hunchback' design of my Sub seat is highly problematic. I have a gray cordura seat bottom cover meant for the back seat, which we used in the last for our dogs. Not even sure it will fit the front, but if it does I can modify it. Or I can use it as a pattern to sew something that fits. Going to have to see what I can dredge up at the wrecking yards, too.
My driver seat back is in pretty good shape. It's the bottom that is now falling apart quickly, particularly after I bumped the vehicle up a couple inches. Getting in and out of it is now really tearing up that left side edge of the seat.

I'm curious to see what geron's got going on. what kind of seat he's got.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94