DSLR question

rcharrette

Adventurer
Hi All, I'm an amateur photographer. I have a Pentax K10D currently and just started shooting in RAW and using Lightroom to edit about 6 months ago. I'm having a lot of fun with all of this. My question is that I've actually had this K10D for years just shooting JPG. As a beginner would I see any benefit from a more modern camera? I'm certainly not eager to go and spend money on a new camera but if their is a clear good reason to the maybe??
Thanks,
Randy

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
If you are happy with the images you are getting, then no need. New cameras do lots of things better - high ISO noise, features like time lapse - but buy a new lens and enjoy what you have!

rcharrette

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply. I guess that is the heart of my question. Are the newer DSLR's that much better that even I would see the benefit? I'm happy with my photo's for the most part but just wondering if a newer DSLR would produce a better image when looking at them side by side to my K10D and why? Could I achieve the same quality of photo with my K10D and lightroom as I could with a new DSLR?
As I said I'm new to Lightroom and excited to improve my photography. Just trying to understand if my equipment is limiting me or I have plenty of room to grow with what I have.
Thanks again!

Landscape and candid shots of people, action, etc., a new DSLR probably wouldn't really do much to improve. Action and fast moving sports, yes, the new autofocus systems are incredible. Glass would provide much more benefit than a new body. That's where the rubber hits the road. More important though is learning to shoot and maximizing you abilities. Lots of incredible photos have been taken with lessor cameras than yours. What are your plans with the shots? Just post to Facebook or some other media where they will probably just be viewed on a small screen phone? Printing or other large format where the pixel density may make a difference?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Yes - a new camera would probably look better side by side - it would make better large 16x24 inch prints. I own a Nikon D7000 but can use D810, D4s, Canon 1d MKIV, 5d MKIII anytime I want. I never do because they do look better. That said, for what I do, blog, Instagram, my old D7000 works great. LR has so many tricks and plug-ins you can improve your files to your heart's content. I have never used or even seen the files from the K10D - but enjoy what you have, play with LR.

rcharrette

Adventurer
At this time I'm just posting on Web, not printing pictures. Sounds like what I have will get he job do for the near future. Thank you again for helping me out everyone. Just trying to learn :)

Brewtus

Adventurer
I think everyone here has mentioned already, it largely depends on what you want to do with it, but also what do you want to be doing in the future? Do you want the photos you're taking now to be a part of that future or (depending on your plans) are you willing to sacrifice all of these pictures to the ether as just practice shots. I'm in a similar situation myself, however, when spending a lot of time and money to go out on expeditions to film remote areas, I can't afford to spend the next year just practicing and throw away the shots I get because I didn't have the equipment to get the quality I'll eventually need. For the development of a feature film/documentary such as I'm working on, the noise performance, video and available glass from your current camera just wouldn't cut it, even daylight shooting with my current D3300 is a stretch.

Similarly as everyone has said above, glass is the most important part. Pick your platform, (whether your current camera or otherwise) based on the glass available to do the type of photography you want at the price point you can afford. Astrophotograpy - Wide angle and as fast as possible. Sports and wildlife - Telephoto w/ image stabilization and quick Autofocus. Portraiture - 50/85/105mm and as sharp and fast as your wallet will allow.

Check out Tony Northrup's What Camera Should I Buy video on YouTube.

From my own knowledge and research (Excluding Flagship $6000 1D and D5):
Astrophotography - Canon Full Frame
Landscapes (Exclusively) - Pentax K1
Landscapes + General Use - Nikon D5300, D500, or D810
Video - Panasonic GH4 or Sony A7R2
Video (Slo-Mo) - Sony RX10 II or RX100 IV
Sports and Wildlife - Nikon D500
Portraits - Nikon D810
Vlog - iPhone

That said, these are sort of the upper echelon of what to use to get the best possible results for specific applications. You can of course use any camera so long as you understand it and know how to compose shots and use light. What did the man say, "The best camera is the one you have with you." Similarly, as Mr. Northrup points out, if the quality of your gear is good enough for you, spend your money on going places to take photos rather than on gear.

For my own purposes, I will be getting the D500 to replace my D3300 as it seems to be the best all around camera, it has 4k video, and my current glass catalog is all Nikon. Will probably keep the 3300 around for timelapse though.

In summary, What do you want to do with your photography now and in the future? In your opinion, does the quality of your current setup achieve that goal? If yes, spend your money on trips or other gear such as motion control for timelapses. If not, figure out what setup will achieve that goal, and decide whether you can afford to take the time to learn on your current setup and transition later, or if you need to learn on something you eventually want to end up with.

rcharrette

Adventurer
Thanks again everyone!

Thank you again everyone for sharing your thoughts and advice. I'm going to stick with my current set up. I feel between my lack of knowledge and the assistance of Lightroom I have plenty of room to grow into it and play around.
My big news is I leave next Friday (13th) for a month in Costa Rica with the family. We have been to CR a few times already but this time we are renting a Land Rover Defender 110 fully outfitted with RTT and camping supplies for 6 days and heading down the coast from Liberia to Malpias (and back). Really looking forward to (hopefully) getting some great pics and video with my GoPro to put together a little video when it's done.
Thanks again!

unplannedbbq

Adventurer
Agree wth the advice so far; if you're going to spend any extra money, invest in good glass. I'm a canon guy, mostly 'cause I bought into the system as a film guy 25 years ago. I bought the first digital rebel cause I was already invested in canon. I've been through 6 bodies since then, but still using all the lenses I've bought along the way.

Lenses hold value, bodies don't. If you like your Pentax, keep with it & pick up some good used glass that you'll have for the long haul - perhaps a fast prime lens, especially if you're still shooting w/ the original kit zoom. You'll have a lot of fun with it & you'll likely see a big improvement in image quality.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Heres another way to resolve the decision: Do you find yourself "missing the shot"? Newer cameras are fast and can shoot low light, so if there are scenarios where you've "run out of camera" then consider a new body. If not, then play with some lens setups. I highly recommend renting some lenses (lots of online places) and trying out some new focal ranges as you develop your style.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I'm going to go against the grain and advise you start saving for a new camera.
You Pentax is still great and will get you though any pics you're taking right now, but if you're getting into RAW editing you're going to advance past what a 2006 sensor can do pretty soon.

Camera sensors have gotten amazing in the last 2-3 years. I wouldn't worry about a top of the line camera with amazing FPS, or super high MegaPixles. Just the basic entry level cameras released in the last couple years will give you noticeable Dynamic Range and low light performance benefits. I learned to blend exposure brackets on my pre-2010 cameras because they couldn't get the highlights and shadows in the same shot. Now I still shoot like that but often find that I didn't need to because the single exposures in new cameras have enough dymaic range to give me the pic I want.

You're good now. But start saving and watching the deal sites and used camera sites. The Sony a6000 was such a fantastic camera for it's price IMO, and now that they have a new model out prices should be cheap (lenses on the other hand...). But even a new Canon Rebel T6 or Nikon 3400 would be great if you want to stick with DSLRs in the sub $500 range.

Last edited:

OSV

Adventurer
the k10d is a ccd-based camera, it gives a good picture at base iso, in good lighting, but in dark or challenging conditions, it's pretty bad... the af is also bad.

you should be able to pick up a used k3 for a reasonable price, it's a huge step up, and you can use all of the lenses that you have now.

robgendreau

Explorer
Hey, I PM'd you. I've got a K-50 body sitting here unused...with the GPS add-on. Quite nice, and I was thinking of selling it anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94