Get my 7.3 Ford Excursion Unstuck...

RPhil

Adventurer
A lot of good suggestions. I don't typically post but the earlier comments about excursion in the snow got my attention.

I wanted to offer a Couple quick thoughts - 1st to dispel the notion that excursions are bad performers in the snow. Quite the contrary and I've got plenty of experience to know. At about 8000 pounds and fairly heavy in the rear (unlike a pickup) with appropriate tires and perhaps a limited slip in the rear you should have a solid snow capable rig. Weight is fairly balanced over each axle which is an asset. Not suggesting you go break trails over the sierras in multi foot deep snow, but that's not what you described wanting. I'm also not suggesting excursions are the equivalent of snowmobiles - they are not. But they're definitely not inadequate snow vehicles.

I've got an 05 6.0 ex and it is great in the snow. I find the earlier post by chris to be odd at best about excursions being noted as poor snow performers for what you are describing.

This is my 2nd Ex, traded my 03 with about 60k for the 05 once I learned Ford was going to stop making them. The 05 has 200k+ and going strong. Between the two I've got a lot of miles in snow, both on and off roads between commuting, runs up to Ski resorts, and countless deer and elk hunting trips all over Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and Canada with the two excursions. Not to mention countless taxi trips for friends, family, and employees that can't get around because of snowy roads.

We've got a pretty decent snow dump in Portland right now and a couple so far this year. (Portland is not equipped to deal with snow - any snow. It's comical how paralyzed everyone gets here when the flakes start to fall!).

I typically drive the Ex because it is so good in the snow - and I've got other options -

I have a 2016 Rubicon Unlimited with AEV's full kit and 37" bfg at ko2's, a second set of 37 gy mtr on AEV bead locks. Also a Jeep J20 on 39.5 IROKs (best deep snow tire I've ever seen), Dana 60's, Detroit s f&r, nv4500, f/I built AMC 401 and on and on and on... I've had plenty of others, early broncos, cj's, TJ's, JK's, f250's, f350's, j trucks, and even an M715 (still have the m715). Again plenty of miles in the backcountry including snow.

I'd happily choose the excursion when it comes to the snow unless its deep trail breaking snow runs (the 8k weight is not an asset in the multi-foot deep stuff!).

As it's been said, I think you have a tire problem 1st and foremost. A limited slip would help a lot. You'd be surprised what can be done with appropriate driving technique with only those two things.

Currently I'm running 285 75r16 bfg at ko2's and can say with confidence they are great winter traction tires. Both my excursion had limited slip rear (I had the luxury of ordering them that way). They are also a great back country and even road tire. There are other great tires out there - just select ones that fit the balance your looking for. Whatever you have now clearly isn't the right choice.

Good luck on your build!

Thank you for sharing some real-world experience. I haven't had a chance to experience any decent snow in my Ex yet and I was quite surprised at people's opinions that they weren't good in snow (considering the reasons you listed- heavy, decent weight distribution, etc).

kmcoop7

Observer
tires

I would go with a 35" Cooper ST/Maxx with studs in them or the same General Grabber AT2. I lived across the Elk Mountains from you in Eagle for 10 years and ran numerous vehicles with both of those tires and they always performed well in all the types of snow we get in Colorado. Throw a set of chains in the back for when it gets really chitty. Tires are the bulk of your problem right now.

2nd upgrade would be a limited slip. Don't do an ARB as it is open when locked. A locker can get you in a lot of trouble in the snow if you don't know when and where it might be bad to use them. If you get a selectable locker, you want one that runs as a helical limited slip when unlocked....I think the Eaton E lockers are that way.....if you can get one for that ford Sterling axle.

3rd upgrade.....and just for fun. A lift. If you want a budget lift. Get f350 springs and some bilstein 5100's. if you want that truck to ride well, get some custom deaver springs and fox or king 2.5 shocks. but that will set you back a bit.

kmcoop7

Observer
suck it up

Rule # 1 when upgrading your truck....suck it up the first time and get what you want! Otherwise you will just want that thing right after you spent your money on something you didn't want. Pretty sure everyone on this board has done that at least once!

Get the bigger tires and lift now. Or you will just be wanting it and then have to spend even MORE money.

snowaddict91

Adventurer
If you had hub issues that combined with highway tires is probably your issue. Seconded that fresh shocks all around should fix your bouncy ride.

Hope you've been enjoying the mountain the last two weeks, I am jealous!

justbecause

perpetually lost
How low is the filter hanging? Is it worth getting a skid plate for?

general grabber ATIIs are snow rated. I have been running these tires since 2010 and love them. I drove places others couldn't during the ice storm a few years ago. Literally up a hill another 4wd slid down, slid down due to a total loss of traction on the ice. I went right up without an issue. Maybe some of it was driver skill, but I credit the tires.

I think excursions look excellent on 285s with the f250 spring swap. Bilstein 5100s are excellent shocks. That would transform your ride for less than 2 grand.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Also, as an aside. The stock "trac-loc" limited slip in the Ford 10.5" rearend sucks. The are set up very loose from the factory and really only last around 5-10k miles. I bought my F350 brand new and by 10k, it worked just like an open rear end. There were tons of threads on the forums about how bad they were. A lot of guys were able to rebuild them and add/stack an additional steel or friction plate (can't remember which now) during the rebuild and actually get them to work.
Jack

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I had a Super Duty lifted 4". It had 35s, dual air lockers, and did great in snow. Did better in deep snow (I ran Toyo MTs) than on the street. BFG KOs or Duratracs are the ticket for packed snow on the street. Lockers are IMHO the best upgrade you can do. A selectable locker is even better when driving on snow or ice. You don't want a Detroit locker to decide to engage halfway through a turn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94