RAM vs. Ford SRW Chassis Cab for Flatbed Grandby?

js9234

Observer
The regular auto(66RFE or 68RFE) with the Hemi isn't bad either. I've had both in multiple vehicles and never had a problem. BUT the Aisin has a much lower first gear and is a medium duty transmission. The only negative I know about the Aisin, which isn't really a negative, the transmission fluid changes are every 30K verses every 100K with the 68RFE. I'm not sure if the cab and chassis comes with 66RFE or 68RFE though. Not sure what the interval is on the 66RFE. Personally, if I had the money and was getting a gasser I would get the Aisin and would order exactly what STREGA has. If it was a Cummins, I would get the G56 standard tranny.

Dalko43

Explorer
What I'd be looking at with the RAM would be the:

6.4-Liter V8 Heavy Duty HEMI® Engine
Dual Alternators Rated at 380-Amps
AISIN Heavy Duty 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
4.44 Axle Ratio
Cloth 40 / 20 / 40 Bench Seat
Power and Remote Entry Group
18-Inch x 8.0-Inch Steel Wheels
LT275/70R18E BSW On/Off-Road Tires
Tow Hooks
Low Beam Daytime Running Headlamps
Transfer Case Skid Plate
Trailer Brake Control
Full Size Spare Tire
GVW Rating - 10,000 Pounds

Sort of a basic rig with a few amenities for the better half. I do like the manual 4x4 shift. What am I missing? Or is there something on the list above that wouldn't work with our brand of "moderate over landing"?

BTW, the Ram build site puts this delivered at around 38K delivered.

Any advantages to the F-350? I've been pleased with my 2012 Ram but really am not "brand loyal".

I didn't realize you could get the AISIN transmission with the Hemi.

Durango

Adventurer
Any thoughts on the "Dual Alternators Rated at 380-Amps" for the 6.4 Hemi? (A $395.00 option.) We do plan to add solar but we also tend to change camp fairly often so the faster recharging of the two house batteries would theoretically be nice. Needed?

STREGA

Explorer
Any thoughts on the "Dual Alternators Rated at 380-Amps" for the 6.4 Hemi? (A $395.00 option.) We do plan to add solar but we also tend to change camp fairly often so the faster recharging of the two house batteries would theoretically be nice. Needed?

The dual Alts is the one thing my truck did not come with, probably would be a good thing to have, really needed I don't know. If I was ordering a truck I would check the box on that option. $38K for that truck is not bad, does that include any rebates/incentives? The MSRP sticker on my truck was $41,250 got it for $32,250. It had $9,000 of end of year rebates/incentives.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

This is discussed some on the Ford super duty forum and I think the consensus is the dual alt's don't perform like that. They will carry more instant demand, but they do no charge faster is what they are saying. My new truck is coming with dual alt's just because it was a package deal. I think it would be good for a lot of lighting combined with winch use.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
OK, I have a question for Durango:
(more of asking the same question you did in your original post)

Why can't you enjoy your current rig?
It seems pretty awesome to me! :beer:
What are the cons that are making you look at a regular cab?

I'm asking this for two reasons.
1). I've had quite a few standard cab trucks, and always felt the need for at least an extended cab. So I'm very interested in your input as I am looking at moving back to the truck side of life... again.
2). It might help you nail down "nirvana" in your next rig, if you can get to the root cause.

On the dual alternator setup. It might be worth talking to Premier Power Welder. If they can retrofit the dual alt system to issolate the second alt as a welder/coach battery charger, that could be a very cool option.
http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/
This is something I was considering when thinking about moving to the dark side of the Force (aka out of the Jeep, and into a truck).

I think we need to exchange rigs for a week, and go exploring together. You really want a JKU rather than a truck. It's much shorter... :elkgrin:

Durango

Adventurer

Why can't you enjoy your current rig?
It seems pretty awesome to me! :beer:
What are the cons that are making you look at a regular cab?

I'm asking this for two reasons.
1). I've had quite a few standard cab trucks, and always felt the need for at least an extended cab. So I'm very interested in your input as I am looking at moving back to the truck side of life... again.
2). It might help you nail down "nirvana" in your next rig, if you can get to the root cause.
Good question, Scott, and one Sioux asks me at least twice a day! :) And one I asked myself as I drove up to the house after an afternoon of (frigid) tubing!

Actually I'm fine with the truck and I've (painfully) converted the interior of the Hawk into a thing of beauty. I've mentioned to Denny Saunders several times only I would drop 30K plus on a loaded camper and then proceed to literally dismantle it inside and rebuild almost everything! Not smart!

However (and only since you asked) here are what I hope to achieve with a new 143" WB chassis cab/ new aluminum flatbed and 8' flatbed camper. (I actually wrote these priorities down some time back when analyzing what to do.)

1) More and better under bed storage. An 8" bed (including the "shovel tray" between the rails) will give me approx. 3 times the cubic feet of storage vs. what I have now.
2) Greater water storage. (An auxiliary tank possibly built under the bed behind the cab.)
3) With the lower bed height I believe the camper will fit in to my garage with the 8' high door.
4) Roof mounted solar. (Which certainly I could add to my Hawk.)
5) A cab pass through for limited and emergency use.
6) Reposition the batteries in one of the forward under bed boxes for more interior camper space. (I never take my campers off so why not wire down to the box.)
7) Configure the interior for an easier set up of interior shower and/or a 'dedicated bath/shower space.
8) Better insulated for winter use.
9) Substantially more interior space with the Grandby including a double bed in the dinette we can easily use when stealth camping. (Which we almost never do!) :)
10) The 3500 vs. my 2500 will give me a 1000 pounds more payload and yes, I need it. :)

Now that I review the list, Scott, it does seem a bit pathetic versus the large amount of angst and labor of building out any new truck/flatbed/camper shell. Think of all the camping I could do instead!

NOTE: Why a regular cab? A) We almost never have anyone else with us and if our daughter does go on a short trip it IS an (uncomfortable) 3 seater, B) the extra under flatbed storage will more than compensate for the space I have now in the back of my crew cab, C) the regular cab/camper will fit better in my garage, D) there is quite a bit of storage for "daily incidentals" behind the seats of the regular cab and E) I'm leaning toward the Ram and sadly it doesn't come in an extended cab.

Sorry to go on and on, Scott, but you DID ask! And it has been a valuable exercise!

Sioux says thanks for the contrarian view!

Steve

Hmmm... Why AM I thinking of changing???
20151023_094017 (1).jpg
20151011_131224.jpg
20151020_175628.jpg
20151022_100929.jpg

Durango

Adventurer

Why can't you enjoy your current rig? You really want a JKU rather than a truck. It's much shorter... :elkgrin:
I actually already have a 2 door 2012 slightly lifted Rubicon with (I'm embarrassed to say) less than 10,000 miles on it. We tow it behind the Ram sometimes when we're going to stay in one spot for awhile.

Yes, before you say it I agree we have "too much stuff"!

20160828_190254 (1).jpg

Durango

Adventurer
Now ya got me to digging around in photos, Scott! I think this shot best describes what Sioux and I (and really most of us) love. A high mountain campsite (in this case Quartz Basin east of Pagosa Springs, CO) with a trout stream running beside it with no one within a radius of five miles!
20160829_190854.jpg

Now why would I try to "improve" on a combo that can give us this? :)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Beautiful picture of a stunning area of country! :beer:
Funny, when I saw the Jeep behind the camp rig, I thought to myself... Now there's the perfect combo! :)

Great explanation of all the benefits you'd be getting from the new rig. The 8' camper and extra storage with more battery space, is a huge advantage.
It didn't dawn on me that you were going with an 8' bed. Now I "get it". :)
Man, if you could keep your current rig so you can go play while building the new rig, That could be a pretty awesome thing. :victory:

Durango

Adventurer
Beautiful picture of a stunning area of country! :beer:
Funny, when I saw the Jeep behind the camp rig, I thought to myself... Now there's the perfect combo! :)

Great explanation of all the benefits you'd be getting from the new rig. The 8' camper and extra storage with more battery space, is a huge advantage.
It didn't dawn on me that you were going with an 8' bed. Now I "get it". :)
Man, if you could keep your current rig so you can go play while building the new rig, That could be a pretty awesome thing. :victory:
Thanks, Scott! And yes, I will absolutely keep what I have till done with the new rig. I went "camperless" for a while while building this outfit and it wasn't pretty.

Your questions (and others) do have me thinking if I should wait till May and Expo? This way I can look at all the rigs and options and then do the build next winter. (Plus I'm in the middle of a major house renovation and Sioux will not be happy if I get "distracted"!)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
10) The 3500 vs. my 2500 will give me a 1000 pounds more payload and yes, I need it. :)

Is the reg cab C&C only 11,000 lbs GVW?? My 3500 cclb with diesel is rated for 12,300. I think you will pick up a lot more than 1000 lbs unless the C&C frame is that much weaker (pre 2013 holdover?).

Edit: Just did a search and wow! Only 10,000 lb GVWR for that truck? ******? The payload is 3800 though, so as you said, you'll probably gain 1000 in usable payload. Have you scaled your current truck without the camper on? My '14 is 8360 with just me and daily crap in it so probably nets around 8100.

Last edited:

barkerco

I love my 2016 Ram Chassis Cab 3500 SRW. It's 12,000GVWR and with all of our gear, two of us and dog in the rig it weights right at 12k. It has 74 gallons of fuel, 9 gallon of DEF and I have 20 gallon camper water tank and another 20 gallon spare water tank. The truck handles like it's not even there. I probably would have liked a 4500, but then lifts, tires, rims, etc. get complicated and very expensive...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I love my 2016 Ram Chassis Cab 3500 SRW. It's 12,000GVWR and with all of our gear, two of us and dog in the rig it weights right at 12k. It has 74 gallons of fuel, 9 gallon of DEF and I have 20 gallon camper water tank and another 20 gallon spare water tank. The truck handles like it's not even there. I probably would have liked a 4500, but then lifts, tires, rims, etc. get complicated and very expensive...

Is yours dual rear wheels?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior