Torn between travel trailer, popup or folding

yfarm

Observer
Second the fiberglass egg trailer option. Have a 17ft Casita. Did a lift and leaf spring conversion, enough clearance to fit 31 inch tires ,has shocks, great rough road performance. Had shower, toilet kitchen sleeps 3.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 49

TwinStick

Explorer
We also have covered the gambit of camping. 53 now, been camping since I was a kid. Went from ground tent, to tent camper, to 30' ToyHauler & just downsized to a StarCraft AR One Extreme 18 QB. We are VERY happy. Set up & take down time is VERY short. We also seriously considered an X-Venture (they are by far the most HD off-road trailer I have ever seen).

There are pro's & cons to everything, including ours. The best thing to do is to REALISTICALLY & SERIOUSLY consider your family's comfort zone. We are all different. I do not consider our camper an "off-road" camper at all. I would call it an "off-the-beaten-path" camper. It is CERTAINLY NOT my idea of extreme at all. But, for $14,500 brand spanking new, we do have the following: Hard side, 26 gal Fresh water tank, 9 gal black, 13 gal gray, Queen short bed, storage galore, 6 gal lp/elec water heater, 2 burner stove w/powered vent, small 2 way fridge, toilet w/roof vent, tiny tub & shower & skylight, AM/FM CD stereo, 13,500 btu A/C, furnace, insulated & enclosed underbelly, 12v deep cycle battery, 20 lb propane tank. Plenty of ground clearance to get off the beaten path, 235/75/15 tires & full size spare on rim, push button electric awning.

I could not justify $21,000+ for an off road trailer & still be sleeping in a tent, nor could the wife. Then there are critters. Critters don't bother me much, but they do the wife. There is some level of comfort to having a hardside camper when in predator areas---even though a determined one could still be a problem. To deal with our small camper, I have outfitted our truck to help with the issues. We put an A.R.E. MX series cap on it, toolbox on 1 side, no windows but "windoors". I made my own bedslide w/storage underneath the slide. Table & chairs go under the slide, 82qt (dedicated fridge) & 50qt (dedicated freezer), Honda eu2000i, are on the slide & tools, firewood, etc., etc. I am not done yet, it is a work in progress. My Power Wagon pulls it like it is not even back there. 3500 lbs. I was able to reuse all of my 30' ToyHauler's 12,000 lb weight distributing/anti-sway hitch. It tows great, no sway at all, even when passing or getting passed by semi-trucks.

Because they are made cheaply, I did have to do some HD-izing to it. Not that big of a deal to me. The mattress sucks. We will be getting a new one shortly. I installed a 24" flat screen tv on a full motion mount & a dvd player. I probably will install my own stereo some day as well. I am recently retired, the wife will be too in about 4 months. Then we can hit the roads/dirt roads & start living our dream. To travel the US of A, see the sights, small towns, fairs, festivals & some off the beaten path travel as well.

Last edited:

OCD Overland

Explorer
Oliver. The admission price is steep but your kids will fight over it in 50 years when you're gone.

Also Kimberley, but the lack of US support makes them a bad choice, imo.

Also look at the Airstream base camp. Not as durable as the other two, but priced accordingly.

Last edited:
Someone here referred me to Outdoors RV and I keep comparing everything I find to them. Nothing seems to come close to meeting the specs we desire to get off the beaten path except the Outdoors RV Back Country Series Black Rock 20RD or the Mountain Series Creekside 20FQ. They also offer the 20 footer in the Titanium series. My only complaint is the queen bed is a short queen. It is 6 inches shorter than a standard queen. Their chassis is designed to take on the washed out roads and milder trails. No they aren't going to get you all the way back but can get you close enough for day hikes. We didn't want a slide out camper, our feeling was that it was just another failure point.
Pros: Amount of insulation used, 4 season rating with insulated underside and heated fresh water tank, largest fresh water tank of any in the 20 foot range 78 gallons, already setup for 500 watts of solar, generator rack in the back, setup with 30 lb propane tanks.

Cons: Short bed but seems to be the norm in 20 foot campers, no east coast sales to preview models to see fit and finish. They do offer factory tours though.

We keep coming back to this camper with everyone we look at. Our next step is to visit out local camper dealers to see if a 20 footer will suit our lifestyle. Seems floor plans are similar between different manufacturer.
http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/

Oliver and Kimberly are the Cadillacs of small campers. My sister has a 23 footer and while it is nice and well built to me it felt too sanitary inside. Also no room on each side of the bed. If anyone gets up in the middle of the night it disturbs the other person.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I posted this in another thread but there are several "teardrop inspired" small travel trailers on the market now. All of them offer full stand-up room (for most people, at least), and full amenities including bath and kitchen. The R-pod by Forest River is sort of the "grandaddy" of the "super teardrop" style but recently there have been several imitators in the market.
Almost all of these trailers are under 3500lbs dry (some as low as 2500lbs dry) and are under 18'. Cost runs from $15000 up but I've seen R-Pods on sale at the end of the season for around $12k.
R-Pod
http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=173&ShowParent=1
Winnebago Winnie Drop:
https://winnebagoind.com/products/travel-trailer/2016/winnie-drop/overview
Jayco Hummingbird:
https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2017-hummingbird/?gclid=CMKUi6LcztECFcm1wAodRygLfw
Starcraft Comet Mini:
https://starcraftrv.com/products/travel-trailers/comet-mini

HOBBE$

2004 Starcraft 10RT

:smiley_drive:

Bought this off craigslist about a year ago. My wife and I had been searching for one for over a year. Wanted it to be somewhat off-road capable and fit in our garage. Dual 20# propane tanks, A/C, RVQ, awning, electric brakes. I upgraded to dual 6v batteries w/ an 80w, 15 amp solar charger. Our "88 Ramcharger pulls it nicely. So far, the only disappointment would be the time and effort it takes to pull it out of the garage, prepare it to go, set it up, take it down, and get it put back in the garage.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 51
  • photo 6.jpg
    photo 6.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 2004 Starcraft 10rt M.jpg
    2004 Starcraft 10rt M.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 49
  • Battery Tray 1.jpg
    Battery Tray 1.jpg