Winch for Silverado 1500

WyoRob

I want to install a winch on my truck over the summer. I spend considerable time in the backcountry during summer and fall and want to increase my choice of options for getting myself unstuck when it happens.

Which winch would be ideal for this size/weight vehicle?

A quality 8/9/9,500 lb rated electric winch will be plenty for a 1/2 ton pickup. Learning how to use the winch safely and effectively (rigging) is very important.

For budget, shop around and get the most for your money, buying the best model while sticking to a name brand (Warn, Ramsey, Superwinch.)

Regards,

Alan

WyoRob

A quality 8/9/9,500 lb rated electric winch will be plenty for a 1/2 ton pickup. Learning how to use the winch safely and effectively (rigging) is very important.

For budget, shop around and get the most for your money, buying the best model while sticking to a name brand (Warn, Ramsey, Superwinch.)

Regards,

Alan

I was looking at the Warn VR12000, would this be a good choice?

What's the opinion of Smittybuilt?

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
I'd stay away from Smittybuilt, but thats just me.

The VR12000 is a good winch. Its a solenoid operated winch compared to some of the more $$ winches. They just redesigned the VR series, so you may be able to find a VR12000 on clear out. The new VR12 uses a contactor instead of solenoids and the winch design has been re-designed, but I think the control box is still removable so it can be located elsewhere.

12000 is a bit overkill, a 10000 would work. They both come with 94' of 3/8 line tho, so, your just getting a presumably a stronger motor or different gearing.

WyoRob

I appreciate the info and think I'll go ahead with the Warn.

Any idea if it's possible to mount the winch behind my stock bumper with some type of mounting kit?

XJINTX

Explorer
Check and see if Warn makes their Hidden hitch for the 1500. I have one on my Superduty and I am very satisfied with it :)

sideinstalled.jpg

KAkers

I had a warm 8000 on mine with synthetic line with a hidden mount. You want to go as light as possible. I did not use the truck for rock crawling and the 8000 was fine. I had a pull pall and used it to get out of snow and pull other people out. I would not expect an 8000 to pull a fullsize out of it was burried to the frame in mud but that was not my use of the truck

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I had a warm 8000 on mine with synthetic line with a hidden mount. You want to go as light as possible. I did not use the truck for rock crawling and the 8000 was fine. I had a pull pall and used it to get out of snow and pull other people out. I would not expect an 8000 to pull a fullsize out of it was burried to the frame in mud but that was not my use of the truck

Yes....this is a good answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz