So whats the future?

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Well aware. But, not exactly ready for production. To my knowledge there's no ABS, traction control, etc. Not that we want traction control but in order for us to make a conversion or sell kits they can't have the dash lit up like an x-mas tree.

Just order up the axles with tone rings. The aftermarket is well aware of how to make a tone ring work with custom axles these days. That will fix the ABS, traction control, and issues like that. That will get the straight axle part of it working easy enough.
The engine side of it, Cummins did the custom work for Ian, they sell the engine, they can tell you what needs to be done. It should be little more then a slight rework of Titan harness.
Or do the Fred approach and stick an Allison transmission behind the engine with an Atlas and make it all run stand alone (Mad Maxxis).

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Just order up the axles with tone rings. The aftermarket is well aware of how to make a tone ring work with custom axles these days. That will fix the ABS, traction control, and issues like that. That will get the straight axle part of it working easy enough.
The engine side of it, Cummins did the custom work for Ian, they sell the engine, they can tell you what needs to be done. It should be little more then a slight rework of Titan harness.
Or do the Fred approach and stick an Allison transmission behind the engine with an Atlas and make it all run stand alone (Mad Maxxis).

Wish it was that easy! We don't know how it will behave even with tone rings and sensors, need to get one here and run experiments to see what it does. And see what the Nissan ABS sensors look like and how they mount. It can be hard to get companies to jump on board with projects like this unless they see a big market (JKs, etc) I'll talk to Ian and see why he didn't run the ABS. I have questions, especially since he had factory support on the project.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The issue with the ABS and traction control is usually due to the addition of the transfer case and its low gear selection - the computer see the engine/transmission speeds versus the wheel speeds and thinks something is wrong - on go all the lights and perhaps into a "limp" mode - at least that is the issue with Sprinter van conversions. Getting or making the correct tone wheels is the easy part - but it doesn't solve the real issues sometimes.

Check out the Van Compass or any of the White Feather Sprinter Conversion thread for examples. I think I heard that the Ford Transit is more tolerant - so perhaps it doesn't have the same "nanny" systems in place.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Looks like those guys do the full sized Transit as well:

http://www.extremfahrzeuge.com/ford-transit-4x4.html

csm_Ford_Transit_kasten_4x4_Allrad_extrem_kit2_1_2c78c7f1d7.jpg

Timjim

Observer
Do I read that right as being about 4600 bucks for the conversion + options??

They do some very cool vehicles!!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Its probably about the same as Quigley's - they do offer a rear diff lock - but the price is high:

NEW! Differential lock 100% rear axle incl. Installation € 2.990,00

http://www.extremfahrzeuge.com/ford-transit-4x4/extrem-kit-die-preise.html

Rear axles in Transits are the Sterling 9.75. Some parts are interchangeable with the F150 Sterling 9.75 including the lockers and gears. The brakes and outer housings are much different but the center sections are the same.

klp42

That Euro front bumper is sharp, too bad it doesn't make it to the states.

I wonder if it is not compliant or Ford just wants us to suffer. The US version is huge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior