Espar Heater Roll Call

djb5118

I'm currently piecing together my Espar setup with the intention to mount it in my Tacoma camper shell. I'd love to see other setups to get some ideas around placement/wiring/fuel/etc. Who's got one either in a truck or van?

From all of my travels on the webz I have yet to see confirmation of one in a pickup truck bed...could this be a first?

Abitibi

Explorer
If I recall, they need to be mounted below your coolant system lowest point so that might limit where you can mount yours.

Have a look at this video, it's for big trucks but the principals are the same and its well done.
https://youtu.be/9m_LzV-gu5k

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

javajoe79

Fabricator
If I recall, they need to be mounted below your coolant system lowest point so that might limit where you can mount yours.

Not necessarily. It's supposed to be mounted near or below the highest point of the system but many people have no issue mounting it above. If you have an air bleed point it should work fine. Another option is to use a very high pressure cap in the stock location, an air bleed near the stock cap and add another fill point and overflow tank at the new high point. Or yet another option is to build a dedicated circuit just for the espar.

In my build, I want the espar up fairly high to keep it above potential water line. If necessary I will just fab and plumb another fill point.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
He didn't mention anything about it being a coolant heater/hydronic setup.

I'm assuming he's talking about a d2 or d4 air heater.

Abitibi

Explorer
Not necessarily. It's supposed to be mounted near or below the highest point of the system but many people have no issue mounting it above. If you have an air bleed point it should work fine. Another option is to use a very high pressure cap in the stock location, an air bleed near the stock cap and add another fill point and overflow tank at the new high point. Or yet another option is to build a dedicated circuit just for the espar.

In my build, I want the espar up fairly high to keep it above potential water line. If necessary I will just fab and plumb another fill point.
Mine (Espar D10 hydronic) is mounted against my frame and I might regret it in the long run as it's only partially protected. I'm very limited where I can mount it in my ambo. Not sure I'd want it inside the living quarter?..

Cheers
David

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Mine (Espar D10 hydronic) is mounted against my frame and I might regret it in the long run as it's only partially protected. I'm very limited where I can mount it in my ambo. Not sure I'd want it inside the living quarter?..

Why not inside, because of noise or worried about fumes?

Abitibi

Explorer
Why not inside, because of noise or worried about fumes?
More to do with available space. I may have one option, just really haven't look at it in detail (under rear bench/bed). Not too worried about fumes, maybe noise but the nice heat benefit outweighs it. Thanks again.

Cheers
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94