Beating a dead horse, but.... Hiking boots?

WOODY2

Adventurer
I like Asolo 95GTX's and you can order direct from them in Italy and save a bunch of $ like almost half price

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Plastic and synthetic don't fit anybody. The only boots that fit are broken in leather. These are Zamberlands and they look like two different boots after break in. Outside pic.

image.jpg

These are about 75% worn out on the sole so soon I'll cut some grooves with a die grinder before they get too slick.
Inside pic.

image.jpg

Yesterday I bushwhacked the Daisy mountain trail from the hard East side. Never saw the thunderstorm brewing until I reached the summit. It's AZ..We don't get thunderstorms? These boots let me haul azz down but I still got soaked.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arizona/daisy-mountain-trail

image.jpg

Buy them a little tight and wear them on easy walks for a week. Next go hike in a wet creek fully submerging your nice new expensive boots and hike while wet. You will need real wool socks. I cut the footbed out of the toe because due to mostly bare foot walking my toes are used to doing extra work. Since I buy them tight a little toe room helps either way.

Pick a flavor but pick leather. They shrink, expand and soften in flex points exactly the way your individual feet are shaped and how they flex. These boots are literally like a well oiled machine on the bottom of my body.

perterra

Adventurer
Why not just buy a pair that fit right to start with and forgo all that walking in wet boots and cutting the footbed out.

Rocinante

I've been hiking and backpacking for about thirty years now, as well as working in mining and industrial construction for two decades. I've worn out dozens of pairs of different kinds of boots. I also have a lot of problems with my feet so I am pretty picky about my footwear. The best all around boot I have found so far is the Danner Light II - I am now on my second pair of these I like them so much (I wore out the first pair stomping around in West Africa for a year). The Danner Light II list for $380, but I've been able to find deals on them for about $100 less than list price. These boots are made in the USA, are Gore-Tex lined, and are available in narrow, medium, and wide widths. They can also be rebuilt when they get worn out. I would add that everyone's feet are different, and I've tried a few other Danner boots that didn't fit me at all.

I used to be a fan of Redwings, but I think their quality has gone downhill. The best work boots I have found are Wesco boots. These are custom made to fit in Oregon and end up being VERY comfortable once broken in. I'd say they are good for work boots, but probably too heavy for extended hiking.

Keen makes some comfortable lighter weight hiking shoes, but their quality has gotten so poor that I wouldn't consider them anymore.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Why not just buy a pair that fit right to start with and forgo all that walking in wet boots and cutting the footbed out.
If they could measure a foot down to a mm and soften the joints in the exact place a particular foot likes to move then OK. If you want a custom to your foot boot that you can risk your life on a cliff then a boot that shrinks, stretches and flexes just like your foot then broken in leather. Same with our rigs. Why not buy a stock Jeep or Yota and call it good? Even they Boy Scout manual tells you to ware your boots in the stream to break them in. Synthetic boots are great for a web hiker or once a month walks but if you want to hustle down a wet loose grade with a pack on or winch cable in your hand then the best is worth the effort to break in. Synthetic boots just don't hold your footing when dancing on loose rocks like leather does. Walking around camp is one thing but the thread was about hiking. For that a leather boot is king. They are for the guy that needs lockers ,mud tires vs AT's and a winch. If that's not you than buy a synthetic high top sneaker and call it a hiking boot. That's what most do but most never really hike. It's bad azz when your legs feet and boots feel like little tractors under you! I love it. So does my doggie.

perterra

Adventurer
If they could measure a foot down to a mm and soften the joints in the exact place a particular foot likes to move then OK. If you want a custom to your foot boot that you can risk your life on a cliff then a boot that shrinks, stretches and flexes just like your foot then broken in leather. Same with our rigs. Why not buy a stock Jeep or Yota and call it good? Even they Boy Scout manual tells you to ware your boots in the stream to break them in. Synthetic boots are great for a web hiker or once a month walks but if you want to hustle down a wet loose grade with a pack on or winch cable in your hand then the best is worth the effort to break in. Synthetic boots just don't hold your footing when dancing on loose rocks like leather does. Walking around camp is one thing but the thread was about hiking. For that a leather boot is king. They are for the guy that needs lockers ,mud tires vs AT's and a winch. If that's not you than buy a synthetic high top sneaker and call it a hiking boot. That's what most do but most never really hike. It's bad azz when your legs feet and boots feel like little tractors under you! I love it. So does my doggie.

Custom boot makers will tell you to steer clear of soaking your boots and walking them dry to break in. Especially leather lined, the lining can shrink, stretch pr pull loose from the boot. And if you have to cut sections of the footbed out, youre not buying the right size.

jeepgc

Adventurer
+1 on Meindl, best boots I've owned.

http://www.meindl.co.uk/products/meran-gtx

Also, nice to see Altberg mentioned here.

I had my feet measured and the Meindl boots fitted at Altberg's factory shop.

Professional and friendly, they will put you in a different brand if they think you'll be more comfortable.

jackattack

Observer
Buy them a little tight and wear them on easy walks for a week. Next go hike in a wet creek fully submerging your nice new expensive boots and hike while wet. You will need real wool socks. I cut the footbed out of the toe because due to mostly bare foot walking my toes are used to doing extra work. Since I buy them tight a little toe room helps either way.

Pick a flavor but pick leather. They shrink, expand and soften in flex points exactly the way your individual feet are shaped and how they flex. These boots are literally like a well oiled machine on the bottom of my body.

Nice to hear that you found a method that works for you, but this sounds like terrible advice.

Get your foot measured at a reputable retailer and find a pair of boots that fit your feet and your purpose the very best. Do not sacrifice fit for the shoes that happen to be on sale. Do not insist on full-grain leather and vibram sole, materials are not as important as fit. Wear them in properly and they will take care of you for many miles.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Custom boot makers will tell you to steer clear of soaking your boots and walking them dry to break in. Especially leather lined, the lining can shrink, stretch pr pull loose from the boot. And if you have to cut sections of the footbed out, youre not buying the right size.
Zamberlands have the same wool lining under the footbed as the sides. It's like a built in sock and has no seems to poke you. I only recently added the heel portion back in when I got a new dog that likes to run. The constant use of shoes ruins our feet and the arch suport makes it worse. It's like wearing knee braces when you don't need them. Your foot needs to move and bounce if you want great traction. That's why hard core rock climber shoes are so squishy soft. They need their feet and not just a sticky shoe. I like my arch and toes to work as well so I generally ditch the whole footbed once they are broken in. I can weight any part of the sole that way and not just hope the sole sticks. All the terain here is loose rocks and it helps. What helps the most is going bare foot 24/7 at home unless I'm welding or weed whacking. Probably why I hate footbeds. It's a stupid crutch they we are all addicted too.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
I had a pair of Asolo's when I was younger and after a 2 week trip to Colorado backpacking daily (admittedly hard use) I came back with tears in tears between the sole and frames of both boots in the same place near the toe.

I now own a pair of Keens and am incredibly happy with how they've held up. I've had them for 2 years and they've been gems for me. I have pretty wide feet and wear a size 11. I forget which model I have, and I've heard some of their manufacturing has moved overseas to Asia, so not sure now how they are on QC, but if they're anything like the ones I own they will treat you good.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Synthetic boots are great for a web hiker or once a month walks but if you want to hustle down a wet loose grade with a pack on or winch cable in your hand then the best is worth the effort to break in. Synthetic boots just don't hold your footing when dancing on loose rocks like leather does. .
I disagree entirely. If anything, many of the newer synthetic boots with multiple types of composite structures are far more durable than leather boots. Many alpineering and climbing boots use minimal exposed leather as it's the most delicate material in the boot. I can think of half a dozen brands that make predominantly synthetic models which are incredibly durable and supportive.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I disagree entirely. If anything, many of the newer synthetic boots with multiple types of composite structures are far more durable than leather boots. Many alpineering and climbing boots use minimal exposed leather as it's the most delicate material in the boot. I can think of half a dozen brands that make predominantly synthetic models which are incredibly durable and supportive.
I was talking about the boots that are little more then high top sneakers like Merrill and such. You are referring to mountaineering boots. I'm not sure they are in the class of a hiking boot. Some even have a hinge so they can flex. That's a lot of boot but if you were climbing a frozen mt with a very heavy pack then yes they are a step up from leather. Rei has a cheap pair. Some are well over a grand. https://www.rei.com/product/733952/...143162387560&gclid=CKu1qZfO_NICFUlNfgodf8sLrA

Edit:
If you look at this page of what are refered to as hiking boots you get a split with a slight nod towards a majority high end leather boots. I've got synthetic Vasque on my feet now. They were awesome when new but they loose somthing very fast. The leather just gets better and better. You are sad when they are worn out because they mold to your foot.
https://www.rei.com/c/mens-hiking-footwear?r=c&origin=web&ir=category:mens-hiking-footwear&page=1
I just wish the stores actually carried all of them to try on.

Last edited:

perterra

Adventurer
I was talking about the boots that are little more then high top sneakers like Merrill and such. You are referring to mountaineering boots. I'm not sure they are in the class of a hiking boot. Some even have a hinge so they can flex. That's a lot of boot but if you were climbing a frozen mt with a very heavy pack then yes they are a step up from leather. Rei has a cheap pair. Some are well over a grand. https://www.rei.com/product/733952/...143162387560&gclid=CKu1qZfO_NICFUlNfgodf8sLrA

Edit:
If you look at this page of what are refered to as hiking boots you get a split with a slight nod towards a majority high end leather boots. I've got synthetic Vasque on my feet now. They were awesome when new but they loose somthing very fast. The leather just gets better and better. You are sad when they are worn out because they mold to your foot.
https://www.rei.com/c/mens-hiking-footwear?r=c&origin=web&ir=category:mens-hiking-footwear&page=1
I just wish the stores actually carried all of them to try on.

I have leather and I have synthetic, if they fit correctly it's a non issue. You painting your picture with too broad a brush. Not everyones feet are the same.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I was talking about the boots that are little more then high top sneakers like Merrill and such. You are referring to mountaineering boots. .
Not necessarily. People want light boots without sacrifice and as glorious as Mr. Cow's skin is, modern textiles and materials can often provide a more durable, supportive, and comfortable boot and that runs the gamut from ultra-light trail runner to full blown summit boot, and everything in between.

As an example, I've nearly walked the first sole off my Trango Cubes and the uppers look exactly like they did when I pulled them out of the box. Easily resoled, btw. And now there is an even lighter version with more flex. http://www.sportiva.com/men-s/men-s-footwear/trango-trk-gtx.html

mezmochill

Is outside
Leather will last far longer than synthetics. They are easier to clean and maintain with something like Nikwax or Obermans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne