Old Warn XD9000 Rebuild

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Starting to tear into a needed rebuild of my old XD9000. Ran into some questions that will require Warn help I think, but wanted to throw it out to see if anyone has any info. Winch works fine but it needs grease and some paint. So I'll potentially need gaskets, o-rings, that sort of thing.

Age is unknown, I've owned this winch I think at least 10 years and it was used when I got it, briefly on a LX470 and originally FJ40 before that.

Gear end housing says:
XD9000
S/N: 407xxx

Motor says:
M: 26626
N: MRV-B-4
V: 12
D: 664

I don't see anything that matches this exactly on the Warn replacement parts page (https://www.warn.com/wwwapps/store/serviceParts.htm). It has a 'XD9000 (MRV)', which I believe is the right configuration (motor has no cooling fins) but the model number is given as 60375 and serial numbers are 608000 to 636558. The parts diagram PDF is stamped 'APR 01 2001' and I would not be surprised if my winch pre-dates that.

RedF

Adventurer
I freshened up a M8000, it must have been 20+ years old. I found being careful during disassembly, I was able to reuse all of the gaskets. Actually the only part I really needed to replace was one tie rod, as a bolt broke off in it during disassembly.

There are some excellent rebuild guides to be found online, they may not be for your exact model, but most of the information is applicable to the same style of winch.

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
I just recently rebuild my XD9000 and like yours, its old. IIRC it has 5 digit serial #.

This is the chart I used; https://www.warn.com/wwwapps/store/parts/125/srrpl67-68.pdf

I replaced both paper gaskets around the sun gear and thats it, everything else was good to go. My thrust bearing (the plastic shim/gasket looking thing) had a bit of scoring on one side, but I was able to clean it up and re-use it. I just used an knife to cut off the lip that had been created.

As for grease, lots of info online about greases. The Aeroshell stuff is hard to find and $$$ however any good Moly grease will normally do.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Drum bushings are inexpensive, replace them while it's apart. Check the the bushing in the end of the gearbox housing. They can become oblong if it's lived a hard life. Gaskets are cheap, in fact all these don't add up to much $$. Have them on hand, service it, look at it in another 15-20 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz