Land Cruiser 80 vs 100.

zukium

Good evening everyone, it's been a long time since I've been on expo and I had to dust off my old account and come back to this great group. Anyways, to my question I've been getting that itch for another expo rig since I sold my 97 XJ a couple years ago and I've really liked the Land Cruisers for some time now and I was wondering what the pros and cons are gonna be on the LC 80 vs. LC 100. I will use said rig as a DD with camping, hunting, and exploring trips pulling a mid-size Jumping Jack trailer and a RZR in the Idaho mountains and desert. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Upland80

Adventurer
Since you're going to DD it get the newest, lowest mileage, 100 you can afford. If it were a secondary vehicle, I would go with the 80.

zukium

Upland80, that is very excellent advice. There are a lot of times that I'll be over thinking things, and not think of something as easy as that.

Taildragon

Hands down a 100. I own both live in the midwest and wont tow with an 80. Can you yes, will it be miserable yes. My wifes 100 is my most favorite road trip rig ever.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've owned 40s, 60s, an 80 and my current 100. The 100 is super capable with very minor mods. I have OME suspension 285/75-16s and the factory rear locker. It goes some pretty challenging places, and then does a 2000 mile freeway drive in total comfort. It is my favourite LC so far!

As others have said, the 80 is going to suck towing (I did pull 7,000 lbs with mine once) and is not even close to as comfortable on road.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
The only modification I would make to Upland80s advice would be to say get the best maintained/best condition 100 series you can find. These cars will go 300K easily. Give me a 150K, well maintained 100 series over a neglected 100K vehicle any day. I have seen super clean ones with 180K miles and ones with 120K that looked like they were 10 years older. I have also noticed people ask an extraordinary premium for low miles. I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer lower miles, but I won't pay $20K for a vehicle with 100K miles when I can buy a 150K vehicle for $14K - all else being equal.

msapers

I daily drive my 80, tow with it and take roadtrips in it in total comfort. It's also my off road and camping rig. Dead solid reliable. The 100's are nice but I've never owned one.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I daily drive my 80, tow with it and take roadtrips in it in total comfort. It's also my off road and camping rig. Dead solid reliable. The 100's are nice but I've never owned one.

If you ever owned a 100 series you would not be making the same statement. Anyone who has owned both will tell you without question a 100 series is a much nice when it comes to a DD, towing, and roadtrips. The 80 series is a winner is a lot of ways just not the 3 you listed.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
If you ever owned a 100 series you would not be making the same statement. Anyone who has owned both will tell you without question a 100 series is a much nice when it comes to a DD, towing, and roadtrips. The 80 series is a winner is a lot of ways just not the 3 you listed.

Agreed. I miss my 80 series, but even when not towing it could use more power and the added refinement of a 100 series. Would I drive across the country in an 80 series? Sure, but it would be a lot better in a 100 series. We took countless road trips in our 80 series, but the main reason we got rid of it was to get a better road trip vehicle (wanted a 100 series and unfortunately settled on a GX470). And while an 80 series may have an edge in off road prowess, the 100 series is more than capable for how 99.9% of people use their vehicles.

JLee

Adventurer
I went from an 80 to a 120 (GX470) and have no regrets. The 80 was absurdly capable but the GX is smooth, quiet, refined, and has torque.

p nut

butter
I would look into 03+ 100 series if lots of towing is involved. The 4-sp towed ok (found on 98-02), and definitely better than an 80, but not great. I haven't towed with a 5-sp, but I would imagine it's better than my old 4-sp. It was struggling up some of the mountain passes towing ~3k lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior