Drawer system that can be easily removed for hauling cargo

TFin04

Adventurer
My Xterra is a daily driver, home project runner, and exploration vehicle all in one. I want to build a set of drawers for the rear to securely hold tools, recovery gear, compressor, etc.

However, I sometimes need the ability to fold my seats down and have the whole platform for hauling things. Has anyone else built (or bought) a system that can be easily removed?

I am well versed in woodworking, my current thought is to build a plywood floor for the rear floor that will have some type of peg/hole system for a drawer box to sit on. The box could be latched/strapped down. I'm only looking to put drawers on one side of the rear of the vehicle, maybe 2.5 feet tall, 2 feet wide, and 3 feet deep.

I found this medical case but it doesn't appear to be available for individual purchase. My thought is to build something similar from plywood and be able to unload it quickly:

lm_medical_drawer840x700red_2.jpg

I've looked through the massive drawer thread and found a few ideas, but I'm wondering if people have examples of systems that are specifically made for easy removal. Thanks for your time!

Lucky j

Explorer
This is what I did for the back of my LJ wrangler.

The bolts are ancored to the back seat floor bracket, the slot are steel reinforced and at the back bottom of the unit (opposite side of the drawer opening) and from is ancored via very accessible bolt that were baby seat ancor points.

With proper wrench in hand, take about 2 minutes in and out with help, cause can be very heavy with the fridge and full drawer. More if by my self cause I have to partialy empty it.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

screwball48

Explorer
Check out military surplus stores for medical cases. Also look on ebay at the misc Hardigg cases. Only problem I could see with these would be the drawers may rattle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282277687520

HARDIGG Waterproof Wheeled Medical Supply Transport MedChest 8 Drawer w/ Bins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LimTacoma

My Xterra is a daily driver, home project runner, and exploration vehicle all in one. I want to build a set of drawers for the rear to securely hold tools, recovery gear, compressor, etc.

However, I sometimes need the ability to fold my seats down and have the whole platform for hauling things. Has anyone else built (or bought) a system that can be easily removed?

I am well versed in woodworking, my current thought is to build a plywood floor for the rear floor that will have some type of peg/hole system for a drawer box to sit on. The box could be latched/strapped down. I'm only looking to put drawers on one side of the rear of the vehicle, maybe 2.5 feet tall, 2 feet wide, and 3 feet deep.

I found this medical case but it doesn't appear to be available for individual purchase. My thought is to build something similar from plywood and be able to unload it quickly:

lm_medical_drawer840x700red_2.jpg

I've looked through the massive drawer thread and found a few ideas, but I'm wondering if people have examples of systems that are specifically made for easy removal. Thanks for your time!
I called them about these about a year ago and they said these are about $1,500. More than I wanted to spend but very functional.

Happykamper

Explorer
Lucky J awesome setup !! Bet it did not cost you anywhere near 1500.00 !!! Plus I will also bet you had a plast putting it together, not to mention a little pride in knowing " you" built it ! Great job !

TFin04

Adventurer
Well for the time being I bought some of the stackable Ridgid tool boxes from Home Depot and strapped them down. Not quite as convienient as drawers, but they require zero work and cost less than the materials to build drawers. Going to use them for a while and make adjustments if need be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior