A year with the 2015 Ram Power Wagon

p nut

butter
Sway bar link being the only issue really isn't an issue at all. I'm sure those guys weren't easy on the truck. But man, best MPG of 12.6MPG at 65mph.....I don't think I could ever get used to that.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Yeah, when I look at the Power Wagon the last thing on my mind is fuel economy, but that is pretty paltry.
With the limited payload and towing, maybe it will get an updated transmission, and dare we ask... V6 Eco Diesel option. :)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
How is 11mpg dismal? They include city and offroading and towing into that mileage figure. Yeah our mileage stinks for grocery getting. But the only time I need to budget the cost of fuel to make a decision, it's all highway miles. Can't say a Jeep gets bad mileage because it only gets 3mpg when off road.

My Mustang gets bad mileage on 10 mile runs to the grocery store as well. But 26mpg at 90mph on I-77.

armymgdude

Observer
I call bull on their highway numbers. My 3rd gen does that easily on the highway. Yep, I see single digit numbers towing, but I use the truck for towing AND wheelin. By all means try to follow me in your STOCK truck with its better gas mileage.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ripperj

Explorer
My 5.7 hemi(2012 crewcab 4x4) get 11-12 mixed Hiway, state rds, and round town. It seems to do 1.5-2 mpg better in the summer
Keith

Sent from my Passport

LimaMikeMike

Observer
Yeah well I pulled upto the pumps to fill my 15 PW and the moment the tank was full....

THE FRAME SNAPPED IN HALF!:Wow1:

But before that I was a solid 15-16 MpG on the highway:)

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Everyones personal truck gets 100mpg going 100mph uphill. I think truck trends estimates are right on. I've had quite a few 3/4 ton gas trucks, none of them ever get good mileage.

armymgdude

Observer
Everyones personal truck gets 100mpg going 100mph uphill. I think truck trends estimates are right on. I've had quite a few 3/4 ton gas trucks, none of them ever get good mileage.
No one is trying to claim that. We are simply saying that you can get better with a power wagon. Its a great truck, has its issues and it likes gas. But they are doing something wrong if that is the best they can do in a 2015. My 2007 in the mountains with no trailer gets 11s. In flatter country I have eeked out 14s. Hand calculated. Some of us don't need to inflate numbers to make ourselves feel better. Is it a Prius? No. It is a huge gas truck on 33s with 410 gears and a big block hemi. But it can get better than 12s on the highway.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
15 ecodiesel ram 1500 CC 4x4....54,000 miles in 18 months (all mine)....right now loaded with aluminum topper and 400lbs of tools...24-27mpg...mixed city/highway....unloaded freeway at 65-70 I can see 28-32...

All stock...

Wirebrush

Observer
I call bull on their highway numbers. My 3rd gen does that easily on the highway. Yep, I see single digit numbers towing, but I use the truck for towing AND wheelin. By all means try to follow me in your STOCK truck with its better gas mileage.

Yeah. They must use a heavy foot and crappy gas. I've averaged 18mpg on a couple different road trips with my 2016 PW. I get 10 to 12 wheeling around mountains.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
15 ecodiesel ram 1500 CC 4x4....54,000 miles in 18 months (all mine)....right now loaded with aluminum topper and 400lbs of tools...24-27mpg...mixed city/highway....unloaded freeway at 65-70 I can see 28-32...

All stock...

This is why I think the ecodiesel is a great setup for somebody who drives a lot and needs a truck. With that said, there's some places a 1500 Ram won't go that my fairly stock Power Wagon does. I haven't needed my lockers much, but when I do they are worth their weight in gold. Plus I only average around 8,000 miles a year, so fuel economy is the least of my concerns.

I'd like to see a 5.0 cummins in it after they have all the kinks worked out. Seems like a perfect fit for the power wagon as a 6.7 is too much motor for it imo. The Hemi weighs about 550lbs while the 5.0 cummins comes in about 850 and the 6.7 at 1100. Still should offer good power and fuel economy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior