What to do?

Swat pup

Ok I was very busy at work today but had a little time to think. I am going to keep the truck for now and look at a 17 PW when it comes in. Anyway thanks for all the help and I guess when I need to drive a Jeep I'll get my son's, for me and the wife a truck it is. Thanks Tracy

p nut

butter
Maybe I missed it, but why do you need a truck? You mentioned you had a large property. Does this mean Home Depot runs to fix little things that would only require minimal hauling capacity, or are you doing some heavy hauling to require a 3/4 ton/diesel?

Swat pup

No I also have tractors, cows, goats, and just stuff. If I would have gotten Jeep I would still need a used truck.

5HUB

Observer
I had a 2012 JKU, sold it then got my Excursion, no going back. Getting rid of my 99 F150 and replaced it with a trailer.
IMG_9812.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
In the end you will have 1/2 of the people telling you get rid of the Ram and get something smaller. You will have the other 1/2 telling you to Keep the Ram and build it up.

The other other 50% will say...keep the truck and buy a Moto, UTV or ATV. Use the truck as a base camp, use the Moto, UTV or ATV for deeper exploration, they can go where the truck or a jeep can't.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
No I also have tractors, cows, goats, and just stuff. If I would have gotten Jeep I would still need a used truck.

I see. Just wondering if something like a Colorado ZR2 would be a good compromise. Doesn't sound like it. I'd keep your truck and go on a shopping spree here: http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/vehicle/ram

I had a 2012 JKU, sold it then got my Excursion, no going back. Getting rid of my 99 F150 and replaced it with a trailer.

Cool Excursion. Thing looks like a beast.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
The other other 50% will say...keep the truck and buy a Moto, UTV or ATV. Use the truck as a base camp, use the Moto, UTV or ATV for deeper exploration, they can go where the truck or a jeep can't.

Count me in that other other 1/2!

Clutch

<---Pass
Count me in that other other 1/2!

:sombrero:

FWIW, there have been after actions from people who made it through Black Bear pass with full-sized trucks:

Black Bear Pass has become a highway from all of the use over the years, it really isn't all that hard. Have been over it several times in a bone stock Toyota truck and on the bikes. A lot more fun on a bike...what you do is...camp in Ouray....ride over to T-Ride and back...so you can soak in the hot springs at the end of the day. Buy a bike, you can do it faster...so you can beat the Jeepers and 4-Wheelers both for lunch in T-Ride and back at the hot springs. ;)

Even a girl can do it... :D

The better half descending into T-Tide. :)

10888919_10153024751704630_309173695285955918_n.jpg

164733_492088899629_4912430_n (1).jpg

Last edited:

DCH109

Adventurer
My experience has been: if the trail was initially built for road-going vehicles, then a full-sized should be able to make it through (though it may take a more deliberate approach); if the trail was initially built as a wagon, ATV or snowmobile trail but turned into a "jeep" trail, then a full-sized might have issues making it through.

My 2 cents is that full-sized trucks make for better overlanding vehicles; higher towing capacities, higher GVWR's, and more powerful engines make them better suited to loading them up and travelling long distances. The problem with using a jeep or old landcruiser or cherokee is that, despite being more nimble on the technical trails, "overlanders" have a tendency to overload them with gear and mods which really bogs down their performance on long distance highway trips. So my vote goes for staying with the Ram.

This is SO true.
FJCruiser (bumper, Winch, Rack, RTT, Rear bumper gear etc. the Engine ran like it was going to explode, 11 MPG average. Slowed down on hills on the freeway and could not use cruise control (shifted to much)
FJ60 Bumpers, winch, RTT rack, gear etc. Forget it, 3rd gear is your friend 99% of the time, what gas mileage. Stock it can barely get out of it's own way. Loaded, a Honda Z50 has more pickup.
F150, towing a 7000lbs trailer, I pass people going up hill. gas mileage is horrible, but such is life.

For me have never cared about gas mileage. I understand most people do. My father told me something when I was 16 and complained I HAD to work on my car.
"Owning a vehicle is a privilege, not a right. You can always take transit. So stop complaining about having to work on it and enjoy fixing your vehicle."
I live by that premises for fuel as well.

js9234

Observer
Why not keep your Cummins and throw some Carli/Thuren parts at the truck? The PW is a great truck but gets terrible MPG. Your current truck can be just as good with almost twice the MPG. There's a few full size new Ram builds on here you should check out.
Ok I was very busy at work today but had a little time to think. I am going to keep the truck for now and look at a 17 PW when it comes in. Anyway thanks for all the help and I guess when I need to drive a Jeep I'll get my son's, for me and the wife a truck it is. Thanks Tracy

p nut

butter
...Black Bear Pass has become a highway from all of the use over the years, it really isn't all that hard. Have been over it several times in a bone stock Toyota truck and on the bikes. A lot more fun on a bike...what you do is...camp in Ouray....ride over to T-Ride and back...so you can soak in the hot springs at the end of the day. Buy a bike, you can do it faster...so you can beat the Jeepers and 4-Wheelers both for lunch in T-Ride and back at the hot springs. ;)

Even a girl can do it... :D

The better half descending into T-Tide. :)

But! You don't get to exercise your butt muscles on a bike. I know this guy was puckerin!

4752870-pic_270.jpg

_
Blackbear4.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
But! You don't get to exercise your butt muscles on a bike. I know this guy was puckerin!

No doubt!

Ooooh....we do harder stuff than that on single track...those passes are considered a "rest take it easy day" from the other trails we do. There is a trail we ride from Taylor Park to Ouray...one section has something like 100 switch backs on it...that day kicks yer ********.

Taylor Park has some good ones...Star, Block and Tackle, Timberline...Double Top (has a gnarly off camber that has a loooong way down, if you have a get off on that little section)

Stuff from the web.

"Seat Time" has some great dirt biking videos of Colorado.

This is taken from that off camber on Double Top (pic from the web, will have to dig and find mine)....looooong way down....we had a guy in the group loose his bike over it...took better part of the day to get back on the trail.

doubletop%20corner.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94